The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Depth  (Read 1922 times)

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Depth
« on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:02 PM »
Have you guys moved to deeper water yet?  Not seeing a lot of fish, and having virtually no luck with tip ups.  I'm still working 5-15' depths.  Thinking of giving deeper water a shot soon here.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
Re: Depth
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:00 AM »
As of last Tuesday I was seeing plenty of fish in about 10fow where shack is currently placed. It is surrounded by 3fow and in close proximity of a large deep basin. I was out yesterday a.m. in the shanty and never saw a pike. Just bass. Going to give the area one more go before moving to my later season deeper location.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline Pikeonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:30 AM »
I am still in 10fow and have had problems with waves of murky water coming through.  So I thought about going
deeper to see if it was better but then when a pike came in and I could see it without any problems so I plan to stay where I am at.
Ended up spearing two yesterday morning nothing big but good eaters.

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:23 PM »
I've been spearing 15'-20' and doing really well, just spear 36" pike this weekend!

Offline mwal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:56 PM »
Jason,

How far down are you running your decoy? and what is the Clarity?

Mwal

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:33 AM »
I am obviously wrong, but last year, we had our shacks 10 ft from shoe in 4-5 feet water, and thought the females came in to drop eggs there. one guy was even in closer, I wondered if he had water under him

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:45 AM »
Jason,

How far down are you running your decoy? and what is the Clarity?

Mwal
In my go to lake I can see the bottom, it's a sand shelf in 20' of water along a fast drop it's 4' only 20' away to my left and 40' only 20' to my right. The lake I speared the 36" pike this weekend was my first time there, my friends speared it once before, there were set up 7-10' three darkhouses, I came out and set in a deep week line on 15' and it dropped to a 20'+ mud flat,  could just barly
See the weeds on bottom, I see 20 small pike, but the big gal came in when I was messing with the decoy 3' under the ice and hit it, I normal run my decoys 4-8' depending on the day.

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:52 AM »
If you look close you can just make out the weeds in the hole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.