New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: otisco lake bs thread  (Read 179969 times)

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
Re: otisco lake bs thread
« Reply #1200 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:46 PM »
They will be weighing fish on the ice with holes drilled at the weigh in location to let your fish go alive.

Maybe you boys should get all the correct information before you post.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1201 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:20 PM »
I have only had Tigers to eat a few times, but I found the meat to be tender, white and delicious.  The tail meat between the top dorsal fin and tail is especially good and rivals other white fish like perch, or walleye.  They are great baked or par--boiled to make a chowder etc. 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1202 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:28 PM »
that's  not on the flier dog

now  heres  a  question if the  fish is  under  36 inches  isn't it supposed  to be released immediately it's  not a legal  fish  correct?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1203 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:29 PM »
spoof  your  welcome to mine

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1204 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:35 PM »
It has to be 36 inches to be legal to weigh in you can't weigh in an illegal fish trapper u need a cup a coffee buddy..now with said and done why isn't the tastey walleye ever in the derby mix..I have caught plenty through the ice when I fish for them...they can be caught through the ice and i know fishslayer will back me up on catching eyes through the ice on otisco because he can catch them also...it never said on flyer where weigh in was at it gave a time price where to register categories no weigh in spot honestly I didn't post to stir the pot I wasn't negative about anything
Why only 5 hrs for a derby 12;01 to 5 no sense at all ..that I don't understand..I was going to fish it but 25 for derby 12 bucks for a dozen minnows 5 but ks in gas 42 bucks to fish for 5 hrs that's just not my thing that I will be negative about

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1205 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:02 AM »
i'm thinking last year or the year before the weigh in was not on the ice....I could be wrong

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1206 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:02 AM »
i'm thinking last year or the year before the weigh in was not on the ice....I could be wrong
...it's been a few yrs trap main lake hasn't froze in a while..so the tigers should of had a few seasons of good spawning 😂😂😂🤣

Offline Mack2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1207 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:58 AM »
It has to be 36 inches to be legal to weigh in you can't weigh in an illegal fish trapper u need a cup a coffee buddy..now with said and done why isn't the tastey walleye ever in the derby mix..I have caught plenty through the ice when I fish for them...they can be caught through the ice and i know fishslayer will back me up on catching eyes through the ice on otisco because he can catch them also...it never said on flyer where weigh in was at it gave a time price where to register categories no weigh in spot honestly I didn't post to stir the pot I wasn't negative about anything
Why only 5 hrs for a derby 12;01 to 5 no sense at all ..that I don't understand..I was going to fish it but 25 for derby 12 bucks for a dozen minnows 5 but ks in gas 42 bucks to fish for 5 hrs that's just not my thing that I will be negative about
I read it as 12:01 am to 5pm... but looking back it doesn't say am or pm? Now I'm wondering....

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1208 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:23 AM »
ok I called the  bait shop !   yes they will have  a  tent  on the lake in front of the restaurant so if  you  do  catch a  tiger  you can get him weighted on the ice  but  that's a  ways  from the  narrows  ... the restaurant will have the  awards  after and  chili  also  they  will have a  band  for that night   I don't  think releasing the  fish is  a high priority  but were  not hugging trees we  are catching  fish  she  seemed like a  very nice lady and i'm sure it  will be a  fun  time......it's  a  100% pay back  so   why not  enjoy it  and thank the folks that put it on 

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1209 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:58 AM »
A couple thoughts. In years past the DEC was in attendence, I expect they will get wind of this year and be there. So keeping anything small or otherwise illegal would be a bad idea, not that it isn't a bad idea anyways. So probably a bad idea to try to weigh an undersize fish even if you intend to release it. I spoke to him one year and he said he was surprised at the folks that weren't aware (or ignored) the crappie size limit.

Also.....With the high temps we are forecast will the ice survive?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1210 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:06 AM »
ice  should  be  fine  but watch out  for  weeds in the  ice!   not  gas holes  but muskrats   pile  weeds   in areas  when the ice  first forms  leaving a  hole   I have  put my spud in one  ever year  checking them out   I had a muskrat  pop up in a hole there too

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #1211 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:16 AM »
ice  should  be  fine  but watch out  for  weeds in the  ice!   not  gas holes  but muskrats   pile  weeds   in areas  when the ice  first forms  leaving a  hole   I have  put my spud in one  ever year  checking them out   I had a muskrat  pop up in a hole there too

I had a muskrat pop right up the hole i was fishing in my shanty!!! Let's just say i was surprised!! LOL

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1212 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:24 PM »
I haven't seen the muskrat holes yet.i did see something in the middle of the narrows couldn't make out what it was..so did anyone get the correct hours yet

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1213 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:25 PM »
it's noon to  5

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1214 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Hope everyone has fun and someone get a monster they are in there but that's a short derby for sure..all honesty I want to see a youngster get the biggest tiger..

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1215 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:21 PM »
yeah but then the  kid is  going to smell bad the  next day for  school :roflmao:

Offline Tigerwoodsmuskie 44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1216 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:51 PM »
It's midnight not noon

Offline Rynofirefighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1217 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:55 PM »
Where is the flyer?

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1218 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:00 PM »
On my truck when I got off the ice saterday

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1219 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:01 PM »

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1220 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:44 PM »
It's midnight not noon

that would  be  good  for  a  night bite  for crappies  but  I  ain't  going to  go that early

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1221 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:54 PM »
now  I called  back!!!  and the  flyer  should  have  said  12:01 AM  to 5PM  at least that's  what I was  told  ...lets  give these  ladies  a  little slack  I hear they make  great chili  and  that early they better have  good coffee as well

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1222 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:09 PM »
I posted the flyer it doesn't say am or pm...like my better half is gonna let me fish from midnight to 5  hmmmmm.better get times correct before plastering flyers on ppls cars..they may be nice ppl but you have to have information correct

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1223 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:24 PM »
yeah i'm thinking get up at 10  pm  drive  a hour, start fishing at mid night  fish till 5 pm  go  to the  awards  that'll take a hour or  two  then  live music and  a few  beers  so head  home at  8 or  so   gee that's  24 hours  up  .... sign me up!!!!!  not  to mention  a  good  warm  spell and  a bunch of  guys  walking in the dark  on  ice   ....but I  ain't  going to say  anything negative   me  and  big  guy will be  there

Offline Cold Blue

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1224 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:53 PM »
Trapper, Thank you for you help.Been trying to talk my wife into buying golf clubs. She saw your post and said let's go for it. Golf is a lot warmer then standing on ice. Thank you again and hope you always have tight lines.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1225 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:00 PM »
cold  tell your  wife  i'm  just talking poop  because  I  got a  couble  guys  biting   hook line  and  sinker   :roflmao:  ....... no one in there  right mind  is  going to  go out on that lake  at midnight   

Offline Cold Blue

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1226 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:20 PM »
Well Trapper we are guys and sometimes their stuff that we post that we would like to reel back in. Hopefully we're good to go.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1227 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:24 PM »
well I wa just about to tell  ya  we can get  a  few  sets of  golf  clubs cheap at a yard sale out  by otisco lake  this  summer  i'll go golfing heck I can't  be  any worse at that then   fishing  ...do they have any  golf  tourneys  that start at 12:01  am????  :roflmao: if  not  count me in  ;D

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1228 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:45 PM »
Yep I'll go golfing make sure u guys bring a few lanterns we can set them up by the holes so we can see them when we have to putt..yeah I'll I'll be at the derby let's see I get home from work at 4am Friday morning and go back to work Friday by noon and work untill 11pm Friday night ..so yeah I'll be there stumbling around in the dark aimlessly trying not to fall in a muskrat hole that I can't see..oh and drinking to... :roflmao: :roflmao: :-[ :-[ :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup:..............maybe I will get fwi.

Offline Cold Blue

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1229 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:59 PM »
Well Big-guy will bring a lantern. I'm going to just pretend i'm golfing. Will actually be on the golf course picking worms to go fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.