New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: otisco lake bs thread  (Read 179769 times)

Offline haitb

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: otisco lake bs thread
« Reply #60 on: Jan 11, 2015, 02:28 PM »
Definitely not dogs. It was on top of the rails on the back of my truck.

As far fishermen,  everyone has been super nice!  I'm fairly new to the lake (ice fished here last year for the first time).

I was checked by DEC yesterday and was amazed to hear the next two shanties next to me did not have their licenses on them.  Neither was given a ticket but just a verbal warning. Kinda surprising to me. It's nice that the officer is not super straight edge but come on. Buy your license and carry it with u!

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:00 PM »
Must be the game warden wasnt mr head   ;D if it was  the fishermen without a lisence would of gotten a ticket....

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
« Reply #62 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:51 AM »
Just a heads up to everyone at Otisco. Watch your gear!  I left my lunch on the back of my truck this morning by the gaurd rail. I knew I left it but wasn't worried nor willing to walk back to get it. When I walked off this afternoon, it was gone. Lol. Someone stole my lunch. I really don't care, but  I'm just glad it wasn't my sonar or camera. Karma is a bit@#!  I hope it's your sonar that gets stolen as pay back.

Duuude you can't say Karma is a Best then wish something bad on them. You should say something like I hope you enjoyed choking on errr choking down my sandwich hahaha

Offline glball3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:20 AM »
Can anyone tell me how the ice is on Otisco by the dam. Has anyone had success yet?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:25 AM »
big population of homeless people around otisco lake I see them staying in make shift tents on the lake all the time.....ps  dog said next time  rye bread.....

other then someone getting a free lunch anyone catch anything?

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #65 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:23 PM »
Stopped at bearwood for the first time ever and picked up spikes ( b&r in cato is closed... toms in weedsport is closed) nice place... it was just a little tricky for me to find but plan to stop there more often since my regular haunts are gone... fish were tight lipped today must've been the low barometer cause I fished 8:30 till 3 kept 20 gills and gave 1 shiner away... saw 2 bass caught and 2 small tigers.

Offline Salmonslayer1990

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: otsego lake ice condictions
« Reply #66 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:12 PM »
I'm hopefull I can catch something other than lakers outtA there. Any confirmations if it's safe yet?

Offline regaffed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:25 PM »
got a 9lb brown on the wall from last yr.lakers have the perch almost cleaned up,fix this lake!this lake used to produce regularly big browns and salmon.even the perch are taken a beating after the natural bait got whatevered.

Offline wbvitari

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:29 PM »
Guys where out on the lake today off Glimmerglass.

FLAG, FLAG...... FISH ON!!!!!

Offline teeter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On a high horse.
« Reply #69 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:34 PM »
Went out sat and sun both were producing nice gills few crappies and some perch seen a monster northern on the cam and small tiger   Pulled a nice large mouth  out and spit at the hole. Didn't hit any limits but pretty good so far 

Offline shimanoman45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:22 AM »
Any size to the crappie, and must have been a big tiger you seen. No northerns in this lake. Lots of big tigers tho.

Offline deadbaitjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • can`t drink all day if udon`t start in the morning
« Reply #71 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:13 AM »
the 3 crappie's I caught were 9 1/2''and fat

Offline deadbaitjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:17 AM »
Can anyone tell me how the ice is on Otisco by the dam. Has anyone had success yet?
the ice at the dam is good , that is where everybody is talking about ;D

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:45 AM »
Ill b heading out wed n thurs..  ;D see what i can find...maybe a free lunch. ;D  ill be out there with the homeless ppl...in my shanty with my heater on ;D :icefish: :icefish: good one trapper.... :clap:

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:10 AM »
Was out last night. Lots of fresh snow on the ice making moving a little slower. Was a real nice night to be on the ice.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:19 AM »
Guys where out on the lake today off Glimmerglass.

how far out??  in the bay or main lake??
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #76 on: Jan 13, 2015, 11:34 AM »
It's been about 3 years since I fished Otisco, I was just wondering if Footprints was still open, they had great food after a day on the ice. Planning to do some fishing this Sun. and looking for a close place for some food when done.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 13, 2015, 11:35 AM »
as of Saturday the main lake 5 mile down to 3 mile opened back up from the wind pounding on the skim ice. I'm sure BIGJIM will chime in to let you know what the current conditions are.

Offline deadbaitjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:33 PM »
It's been about 3 years since I fished Otisco, I was just wondering if Footprints was still open, they had great food after a day on the ice. Planning to do some fishing this Sun. and looking for a close place for some food when done.
no foot prints is closed
if you want some good food and drink stop in at the moondance on rt 20 and rt 174 north of the lake 3-4 mile sand you can check out there derby

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #79 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:53 PM »
no foot prints is closed
if you want some good food and drink stop in at the moondance on rt 20 and rt 174 north of the lake 3-4 mile sand you can check out there derby
[/quotedeadbaitjeff, Does Moondance service lunch on Sunday early afternoon? I know right where it is, I never stopped in but I'm going to need a couple 16oz. of fuel before the ride home.

Offline deadbaitjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 13, 2015, 02:29 PM »
no foot prints is closed
[/quotedeadbaitjeff, Does Moondance service lunch on Sunday early afternoon? I know right where it is, I never stopped in but I'm going to need a couple 16oz. of fuel before the ride home.
yes on sunday the kitchen opens at noon same as the bar Monday thru sat it opens at 11

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:41 PM »
Don't know what the conditions off G'glass are. That pesky job thing gets in the way and G'glass was not on my route. But the main lake was still open down by 3 Mile this morning. Had very dense steam coming of the surface so must be ready to make some ice. A friend of mine walked up on a spring off PL yesterday, had consistent 5-6" ice and all of a sudden major cracking. He backed off (quickly!) and then snuck up and spudded the area and found a 4-5' hole with 1 1/2" ice. Figured there must be a spring in that area of the bottom.
  Something to think about. Stay safe out there.

BIGJim223

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #82 on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:43 PM »
That'll pick an old hippie's heartbeat up.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:47 PM »

Lol! Bionic Hippie!

Offline teeter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On a high horse.
« Reply #84 on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:50 PM »
Any size to the crappie, and must have been a big tiger you seen. No northerns in this lake. Lots of big tigers tho.

90% positive was a northern. Crappie were just barely legal   Dec says northern inhabit all the finger lakes  didn't see the traditional stripes as I would on a tiger
 http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/32371.html

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:26 PM »

And how do you know who I was talking about? 

BIGJim223

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #86 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:16 PM »
only about 3 guys with the time and stubbornness to be out there in below zero weather on a Tuesday!

Offline Salmonslayer1990

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:21 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys! I'm hoping maybe next week I'll be back out that way to fish it!

Offline ugp685

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:04 AM »
I'm about 99% sure there aren't any northern pike in Otisco. For the hundreds, maybe thousands of hours I've spent chasing tigers on the lake I have never seen one. Maybe a bad angle on the camera where the stripes didn't show or maybe someone dumped one in there at some point? The dec only stocks tigers in otisco and I don't think they have ever put/had pike in there.

The way I read the link, northers were in one sentence and then tigers were in the following sentence for otisco and conesus.

Either way it's awesome to see a giant fish in the camera, gives you that "any second....." Kind of feeling!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #89 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:13 AM »
I know  this much  ...no matter what you seen it was  in  fact at least 1/2 northern!!!!    I honestly never  seen a  northern caught but im sure  it is  possiable  ...who knows  ...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.