New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: otisco lake bs thread  (Read 179880 times)

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: otisco lake bs thread
« Reply #90 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:13 AM »
Anything is possible now a days..i know teeter   and he kniws his fish..we both have hooked sturgeion in places that  i didnt even know that they were in there.that b the seneca river....my buddy caught a tiger out of owasco lake a few yrs back..and no it wasnt a pickeral....i have to try to find pic..wasnt huge but a tiger musky..

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:15 AM »
Trapper lmao ....

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #92 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:22 AM »
happens sturgeon are  showing up all up and  down the  river  system  now since  Oneida was  stocked !  and I caught a  musky at wrights landing a  few  years  ago  near the  steam station fishing for smallmouth ....you can  stop  zebra mussels   ya  can't stop  fish  from traveling ...... now  otisco  is under  siege  from  giant monster northern pike ......I suggest  we all try to catch them  and  have  coffee ...if  them  darn old   half  bred  tigers  leave my  bait alone !!!!!   where the  heck  did these  things  come  from????

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:37 AM »
Good question where did they come from.they r a cross between a northern and a musky i think....they must a got bored during the winter and had little one..maybe brother and sister pike that made a tiger musky.... ::)

Offline gauglerb

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: otsego lake ice condictions
« Reply #94 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:18 AM »
Calm night and subzero temps...I imagine it's all locked up this morning, but certainly not safe yet.    On another night, I've been kind of bummed about this lake.  Used to be one of my favorites and now it seems like the lakers are all fairly skinny.  So I guess the question is, what is currently the natural bait fish in this lake? what are they feeding on (or no longer feeding on) ?

OneidaAngler

« Reply #95 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:26 AM »
Calm night and subzero temps...I imagine it's all locked up this morning, but certainly not safe yet.    On another night, I've been kind of bummed about this lake.  Used to be one of my favorites and now it seems like the lakers are all fairly skinny.  So I guess the question is, what is currently the natural bait fish in this lake? what are they feeding on (or no longer feeding on) ?

Alewives. There used to be smelt in the lake too, but I believe they've been extirpated from Otsego for a number of years now. Alewives experience unpredictable fluctuations from year to year and they've been on the down side for a few years from what I hear. Thus the unhealthy population of lakers.   

Offline davise6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:19 AM »
The walleye stocking program has really decimated the alewife, which was the goal. The alewife were introduced in the 80s and totally messed up the ecosystem. The only positive was bigger lakers, but almost all zooplankton were gone so other forage fish declined. The SUNY oneonta biological field station outside cooperstown has all the info on the topic. I'm a grad student there. Apparently Cisco and whitefish are starting to rebound and they were the original forage base for lakers

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:27 AM »
The walleye stocking program has really decimated the alewife, which was the goal. The alewife were introduced in the 80s and totally messed up the ecosystem. The only positive was bigger lakers, but almost all zooplankton were gone so other forage fish declined. The SUNY oneonta biological field station outside cooperstown has all the info on the topic. I'm a grad student there. Apparently Cisco and whitefish are starting to rebound and they were the original forage base for lakers
I hope you're right about the ciscoes and whitefish. Unfortunately I was never around for the "good old days" on Otsego and just started fishing it last year. Last year the lakers looked more like eels.
Pete

OneidaAngler

« Reply #98 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:31 AM »
Nice one jager! I've always wanted to catch a few whitefish. Hopefully Otsego will get a nice population going in a few years. Not many places to go in NY to get whitefish anymore

Offline willsoj560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:55 AM »

Atta boy! Look up some of my literature lol!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:59 AM »
Truth be told, I didn't know  what this thing was, thought maybe a creepy mutant shiner and released it as fast as possible before it attacked me! Lol! Was a cool catch though!

Mike

Offline johnny b jiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gettin jiggy wid it
« Reply #101 on: Jan 14, 2015, 12:27 PM »
love checkin out the camera!

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Is A Sport, That Makes Me An Athlete
« Reply #102 on: Jan 14, 2015, 04:03 PM »
What are the dates for the derbies this year?

Offline deadbaitjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • can`t drink all day if udon`t start in the morning
« Reply #103 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:03 PM »
What are the dates for the derbies this year?
moondance is feb 14 & 15
Alvord house is the first weekend in march may be the 7th

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Any reports on glimmerglass? Thinking about fishing the lake friday anyone want to go?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #105 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:07 PM »
Nice Otsego Bass Mike...   They use to take them out in wagon loads back in the time....
Thats why there almost extinct..   
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Nice Otsego Bass Mike...   They use to take them out in wagon loads back in the time....
Thats why there almost extinct..

My father was an avid Otsego bass fisherman when I was a kid. Used to make me go out 5am every possible weekend during soft water and jerk for them. How I used to hate that! He sold (legal at that time) his and my limits to local restaurants and mom & pop markets in Cherry Valley, Sharon Springs, and Cooperstown. He used this money to support his bass fishing addiction, which is what we did after the whitefish stopped biting for the day, or we got our limit. He was very good at it, used lead core line on big ol' Penn reels and stout as a broomstick trolling rods. No pictures of any "Otsego Bass" but here are some Otsego bass from back in the day:

early 70's October Smallmouths

Me in 1968 first day of bass season and I remember that it was rainy and freezing cold! 6lb 12oz largemouth. Personal best bass until the mid 80's when I landed a 7lb 4oz fish from the exact same piece of structure on the lake!

First day bass season dated 1970, though I think it was '68 or '69

Wish I had some "otsego bass" photos, but he always sold them as soon as he got off the lake and though he was an avid photographer, I have never seen any photos of them.

BIGJim223

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Love the pics Jim! Those are Good as Gold! We should start a thread of fish pics of IS members when they kids!
Good stuff !

MK

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Thanks Mike! I thought I could find some with whitefish in them but no go. My wife scanned all his pictures that were given to me after he died and put them on a CD. Good thing because those old film camera pictures really deteriorated as you tell by the one with the smallmouth.
  That whitefish you got 2 years ago is the biggest I have ever seen come out of Otsego. My old man would have kept that one for our supper, for sure! We used to catch some slammer largemouth in Otsego back in the day too, and we ate every single one, big or small. Yeccch! Still don't eat bass......

BIGJim223

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Nice memories for sure and good thinking on the part of the Missus for scanning them! Butch and I still laugh about that whitefish! We both screamed like little school girls playing keep away with it! LMAO! But, put him back in the hole so who knows how much bigger he got!

MK

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #110 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Great pictures Jim...   :thumbsup:

Offline gauglerb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Thanks for info.. Hopefully it all levels out in a couple years.  Must mean the walleyes are healthy and fat now lol

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #112 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:34 PM »
quote: Must mean the walleyes are healthy and fat now lol

When you can find them!

BIGJim223

Offline Tat2Rtist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:18 PM »
Never fished Otsego, was thinking about going out tomorrow morning, can anyone tell me where to access the lake, and maybe a good jigging depth or a rough estimate where I can get some action. Im handicapped, cant go too far out, but been wanting to do some fishing in new lakes.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me, Im not looking for secret fishing holes, but just a place where I can get some action.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #114 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:42 PM »
Public Landing, Springfield Center is your best bet. Easy access with pretty good water within a short walk. Perch,bass,picks, lakers available. Maybe a waldo.

BIGJim223

Offline Tat2Rtist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #115 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:00 PM »
Super, thanks Jim, I am going to head out there tomorrow morning, will be driving from Westernville, I live 7 miles north of Delta Lake, but not much jigging action there. Hopefully can fit my one man clam in the back of the wifes new Kia Soul, I dont want to get my Jeep Wrangler all road salt. LOL

Thanks again. :)

Offline BeenFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:59 AM »
Great pictures BigJim, reminds me of the fishing I did with my grandmother on Goodyear lake not too far away during the 1980s. She was the avid fisherwoman who taught me almost everything I know about softwater fishing.
Thanks for the Pictures!!!

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:35 AM »
The crappies r eluding me rite now.. ::)..but the gills r plentiful..i got a quite a few perch yesterday to ill see what today brings me... :icefish:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #118 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:42 AM »
Great pictures johnny.... :thumbsup:

Offline haitb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:40 AM »
love checkin out the camera!

Hey Johnny,
What's the wooden brace thingy you have supporting your camera?  Do you have another photo that shows that better?  I have a Aqua-Vu Scout that Works well, but I hate the way the cord is stored.  Thought about trying to build something better.  Wish I could figure out incorporate the auto spools that air compressor hose is stored on.  Day dreaming again!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.