Author Topic: When did you start ??  (Read 5414 times)

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
When did you start ??
« on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:30 AM »
When did you first start using electronics. I first started using the depth finder off from my boat in 1988. The people around here would look at me and I'd hear some unusual comments. The graph was hard to read, but it would work under the right circumstances.When I'd start catching fish though I'd start getting company.Today you can shove a camera down the hole and see the fish or lack of fish.Oh yeah, you can go home and type it on your computer and post it for a lot of other people to read also.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: When did you start ??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:45 AM »
I guess it all started for me last year....got the Vex Fl-18 Ultrapack.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Bought my Zercom, Clearwater Classic with ice box in 1993.  Still works great and have only replaced the battery once.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2006, 02:32 PM »
I have fished offshore in saltwater with my uncle and granddad with electronics since the early 80's, starting with a Sitex flasher and then paper graphs and LCD.  A few years ago, I got an Eagle Fish Easy 2 for bass fishing. I modified it for icefishing about 3 years ago. I am getting my first Vex in two weeks!

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2006, 04:34 PM »
Sitex/Honda paper graph, I think it was like 1979 or 80. Still have it on a shelf in the garage.
How's the ice

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2006, 04:58 PM »
Lowrance flahsher, I believe in '79, was my first. Have been through many since. 
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2006, 06:02 PM »
damn i'm still working on fire.

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2006, 06:42 PM »
I started with a Ray Jefferson 102 in about 74 or 75. Not very good by today's standards.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2006, 06:54 PM »
Last year i got an aqua-vu, but after getting my vex this year that thing is collecting dust!!!

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:58 PM »
I first started using electronics back in 1964, when I was born.........The parents had a 19" black and white RCA.  In 1972 they bought a color Zenith(19" also).  We were smoking then.  After many upgrades over the years, I've grown to a 52" HD projection screen, unfortunately the best that gets me is In Fisherman.  I hear there is new technology out there that will look under water, but I still do it the old fashioned way (drill many holes).  Unfortunately, I'm a typical Baby Boomer, and the kids come first.  Between sports, dance, scouts, and every other activity they can think of, all the play money (and then some) is gone.  At this point it is all about the kids, so I will sacrafice, but in a few more years, look out.
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:50 PM »
I started around 1991.  Since then it has cost me thousands of $$$ and a ton of fun.   ;D :clap:
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline hookedonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • is that the union hall
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:15 AM »
i thought maybe this year with the x-mas present but i can't figure the d**n thing out.  :%$#!:

PIKEGUY

« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:27 AM »
I bought a Humminbird LCD when I was about 12 to put on my stepdads boat. It had the old " one in a million" warranty, where they claimed they only had problems with one out of a million. Well guess what, I got a bad one >:(. Took it back to the store and exchanged it for a shotshell reloader. Didn't get back into electronics until I bought my VEX last year.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2006, 10:43 AM »
I fish northerns on tip ups and just can not bring myself to go electronic. I thought I was pretty hi-tech when I finally bought a gas auger? :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline Fishbreath

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:03 AM »
I put a Lowrance flasher on the boat in 82 and started using it for ice fishing in 86 with 2 6-volt  batteries then a motorcycle battery. Here in PA. back then I'd fish all season and maybe see 1 or 2 others being used. Since then for ice fishing I used a Lowrance Z-7200 and this is my 3rd. year for my vex 18 with dual beam.This year I bought a Aqua-view
My wife is a widow during ice season.
ice shanty #53
VBA #299
retirement is't all its cracked up to be.................... ............its better

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:30 AM »
MrLB1:  Great topic!

My first electronics purchase (awhile back) was a Eagle 7200 LCD.  I sold this with my first boat "the Do-All 14 ft Sea Nymph".  I actually entered an ESLO (If you remember this, you are a hard-core Troller! ;D) with this boat!!  I then moved on to the "Ultimate FishFinder at the time"...........The Lowrance x-16 paper graph.  Boy did I love this machine.  I could go home after a long day of trolling and study the hardcopy that the X-16 produced.  This was followed up with a Lowrance LMS 150 LCD and lastly my current "toy", a Furuno Color LCD Sounder FCV-600L.

My first Ice fishing electronic purchase?   The one and only.........."FL18-Ultra Pack with dual beam transducer" ;)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:44 AM »
The only thing I use is a polar vision to check the depth, and I just got that this year. My buddy uses a vex & I seem to catch just just as many as he does, just old school I guess.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:31 PM »
MrLB1:  Great topic!

My first electronics purchase (awhile back) was a Eagle 7200 LCD.  I sold this with my first boat "the Do-All 14 ft Sea Nymph".  I actually entered an ESLO (If you remember this, you are a hard-core Troller! ;D) with this boat!!  I then moved on to the "Ultimate FishFinder at the time"...........The Lowrance x-16 paper graph.  Boy did I love this machine.  I could go home after a long day of trolling and study the hardcopy that the X-16 produced.  This was followed up with a Lowrance LMS 150 LCD and lastly my current "toy", a Furuno Color LCD Sounder FCV-600L.

My first Ice fishing electronic purchase?   The one and only.........."FL18-Ultra Pack with dual beam transducer" ;)

Those derbies were based out of Rochester NY if I rember right.At least they were on lake Ontario! The replies are great.

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:35 PM »
I fish northerns on tip ups and just can not bring myself to go electronic. I thought I was pretty hi-tech when I finally bought a gas auger? :tipup:
If that's whatyou do you wouldn't really have a need for eletronics.But thet could still be a useful tool on new waters.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:33 PM »
Still do not have any electronics but with some luck maybe will have a flasher for next year.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:00 PM »
Man some of you guys have been using electronics since I was born.  I started using them with my father in the mid 80's. 

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:39 PM »
As I remember it was about the mid 70's when Buck Perry,spoon plugs,Fishing Facts Magazine,structure fishing and the green box hit the lakes and the whole approach to fishing changed .The days of rowing out to the middle of the lake and throwing in a line and hoping that you would catch something were over.
 With the flood of all of this new information and tools it didn't take long for hard water fishing to take off also and this ice fisherman loves it. It is my hope that we all realize that with these tools and the numbers of fish that we can catch and more people becoming involved that we don't over fish and become "greedy" with how many fish that we keep. Let's be conservationists and leave future ice fishermen and their kids a chance to enjoy the sport that we all love so much...
 Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:21 PM »
well i started using an electronic in 1994 but my old man got his first depth finder in 1984.  I was only 4 in 84 so it was hard for me to know what it was.  We both now have fl8 vexilars and we bought an aqua view together for ice fishing.  alot of electronics in out tent when we fish together. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.