The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Makita XPH07Z  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Makita XPH07Z
« on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:04 PM »
Just ordered  the kit from Home Depot-- just $20 more than the Ridgid with waaay more torque & 4.0 batteries. Quite a step up from my  19.2v Craftsman; which ate up  batteries annually & had  minimum torque. Would've liked a lifetime warranty, but the costs were just too close. Pairing up w/ 6" lazer...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Makita XPH07Z
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2015, 09:32 PM »
I've had the Makita out a couple times now w/ Ice Master adaptor; punched as many holes as I could use through 10" ice w/ another foot & 1/2 of snow & slush on top! (Massachusetts) Had to feather trigger & lift up slightly to avoid catching bottom of hole. The torque will break your arms if you're careless with this drill. Highly recommended...

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2015, 09:38 PM »
I've had the Makita out a couple times now w/ Ice Master adaptor; punched as many holes as I could use through 10" ice w/ another foot & 1/2 of snow & slush on top! (Massachusetts) Had to feather trigger & lift up slightly to avoid catching bottom of hole. The torque will break your arms if you're careless with this drill. Highly recommended...

(Image removed from quote.)
OHHHH buddy that setup could use a clam plate.... These new high torque brushless drills make enough power to snap your handle off which can a ruin your drill and a day on the ice. just a word from a guy who has seen plenty of pictures of what happens when that lazer catches....

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2015, 10:09 PM »
It caught once & it was violent! I'll likely use the drill for work and besides extra cost of clam plate I'm not looking to tear apart a new drill. The side handle is long and seems to have a firm attachment point; we'll see how it holds up.

I haven't drained the battery past 1 out of 3 bars yet. Impressive battery life.

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2015, 05:44 AM »
That looks like an impressive drill.

Have you considered switching from the Lazer to a flat bit (e.g. Mora or Nils) or chipper blade (e.g. K-drill)? 

I upgraded from a Lazer to a K-drill this year and am really happy.  It doesn't catch at the bottom of the hole and leaves very little slush to clean.  The chipper blade is more aggressive so I get fewer holes per battery but it's more user friendly.

With 1,000+ in-lbs of torque, that Makita could easily turn an 8" bit.

If you ever are up this way, PM me.  I could let you take a look at the K-drill.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2015, 04:25 PM »
Prob. going with the Synthetic Lazer next season--  flexible fluting and plastic head claims no hangups. K Drill looks looks sweet  (little blade maintainance) but a tad pricey. Makita was priced right up against Ridgid, Milwaukee, Dewalt.  Takes me 20 yrs. to buy an efficient auger rig so I can actually focus on fishing and not drilling lol

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:35 PM »
The mora's don't hang up nearly as bad as a Lazer. I've used both with my drill

Catchin' Fish

Online rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2017, 12:29 PM »
wanted to bump this thread up. I am looking into purchasing this XPH07Z drill to use for just ice fishing.

I know people are happy with the Milwaukee setups, but I already own several Makita tools so was looking to buy just the drill separately and utilize my existing batteries and maybe purchase an additional battery or 2.

How has this drill held up for you  for those that have used it for ice fishing?

If I pay $130 for just the drill I am set. But I could spend a little more and get a milwaukee setup with batteries etc thats been proven to work. The specs and torque on this XPH07Z model seem more than enough just wanted to make sure its up to the task for ice fishing.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:29 PM »
wanted to bump this thread up. I am looking into purchasing this XPH07Z drill to use for just ice fishing.

I know people are happy with the Milwaukee setups, but I already own several Makita tools so was looking to buy just the drill separately and utilize my existing batteries and maybe purchase an additional battery or 2.

How has this drill held up for you  for those that have used it for ice fishing?

I own both the Milwaukee and the Makita drill. The Makita drill is a better set up in my opinion because the side handle is attached in a better way and much longer. Absolutely no need for a clam plate with the Mikita drill. The only reason I leave the Mikita at home for ice fishing is because I use Milwaukee batteries on other equipment well on the lake such as flashlight radios etc.

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2017, 06:22 PM »
I have a Makita XPH07 I think the z is a newer version. I run it with a 8" Nils. cuts great. I bought an adapter and just use the drill and the auxillary handle. was cutting 20 holes in 18"+ ice last year with the 5.0 batteries. i was cutting holes a lot faster than a guy with a gas auger.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2017, 06:47 PM »
I have the lazer and just let up a little when going thru, no problems, the clam plate really helps, no matter what the he men say !!

Offline HuskerTRX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2017, 09:08 PM »
I got a new Makita xpho7 drill last year with the clam plate 8inch Mora bit.... Tore though ice. No complaints awesome set up

Online rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone I ordered one and got it delivered this afternoon. Ran down to the lake just now and drilled a few holes and it worked great. I should have did this a long time ago lol

Can't wait to get out on the ice now.

Online rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Finally got to put this setup through the paces on 18-20” inches ice running and gunning for perch here in South Dakota

Never cut more than 2-3 holes at a time but each hole cut effortlessly.  I will admit I’m a little hesitant to just completely swiss cheese an entire area without letting the drill cool down a bit when ice is that thick.

Still haven’t sold my gas jiffy but after this weekend I can confirm it’s no longer needed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.