The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: My Auger Does Not Cut As Fast As It Should  (Read 11484 times)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: My Auger Does Not Cut As Fast As It Should
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2013, 09:37 AM »
ckfish, let's make this as easy as possible for you. I have two Eskimo's in front of me right now...one brand new out-of-the-box, and my Stingray, (Last pic) both with the Quantum blades.   As you can see, the blade portions are FLAT and smooth that contact the ice, and the bevel faces UP towards the engine, as er, previously mentioned.  ::) On the last pic, the blade on the left looks like the bevel is "down", it's not, it's smooth, just shadow from way the blades are milled.
This should settle the problem for you. Hopefully, that's the problem, and nothing major. Hope you're up and running soon!! Good luck!

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Dec 02, 2013, 09:58 AM »
Last picture sure looks like chips on the blade. When you sharpen them you also need to touch up the flat side so there isn't any rough edges. If the bottom of the blades have rolled over you are putting too much pressure on the blades. Let the auger do the cutting and never push down like you would on a hand auger. Just a few stokes keeping the correct angle of the blades will sharpen them. the just a slight touch up on the bottoms. Good luck.

Exactly. I use a Smith's hard Arkansas Stone and oil to hone mine.

Offline Poot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:44 AM »
I'm not an authority on this but you may want to change the center point and also it could be that something is bent on the drill itself. I have had a 10 inch Strikermaster that I just sold recently. It always cut like crazy. I'm thinking there must be something that is causing it not to cut well. 
It's all ball bearings these days......

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:51 AM »
Quit confusing the poor kid rebelss, there is no mystery here -both his blades are orientated correctly. Is it that hard admitting you made a mistake in suggesting one may be upside down?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Dec 02, 2013, 11:05 AM »
I made no mistake, as I stated, I could NOT tell for sure from the pic, that's why I asked him.
I'm trying to make it easy for him, I read it as if he thought one might be upside down. If I made a mistake, I'll be the first to admit it...I've done it before. It's amazing how much you can tell from a blurry pic, I sure can't., that's why I asked. My advice to you is quit stirring the pot and let's try to help the poor kid out.

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2013, 11:39 AM »
Look closer kiddo, both those blades are obviously on the right way -those type of blades have a minor(bottom) and major(top) bevel. The minor bevel will have a large sweep on the inside, the major bevel is a straight cut. Don't believe me, then look here at the major bevel http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/augers/eskimo-10-quantum-replacement-blades. Rebells suggestion that one is upside down is wrong. You have at least two problems that are clear from those photos, your blades are roached(which is obvious even from a somewhat blurry photo) and at the very least the first turn of the flight has a very bad flat spot -probably from trying to straighten things out half way down a hole and or from standing on the poor thing while cutting. You need to either have the flight straightened out by someone who knows what they are doing or just throw it in the garbage and start over. Either way you might look into finding someone to show you the do's and don'ts of using a power auger.

Can you read rebels? Stirring what pot? For anyone that knows what they are looking at those blades are absolutely in the correct orientation, no mystery. Twenty says you won't admit your error no matter how obvious it is.

Clear as day.

This is the way the top of the blade looks:

Very easy to tell the difference, for most at least.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2013, 12:10 PM »
Yes, I can read. As stated, and the reason why I asked the OP, is I was unable to tell from the pics the orientation of the blades, as stated, in addition bolstered by ckfish's reply to me...

(Repy:)
"Looking at the picture I see what you are saying. One blade has the smooth edge and the other appears to have a rough edge exposed." OP admits blades MAY be wrong.

It STILL looks to me like the beveled edge is "down" or facing the ice, I can't tell you different.

You seem hell bent on turning this into a personal attack by nitpicking; if so, allow me to at least point out your mistake on the "minor bevel" ie; flat side...vs the "major bevel" on the degreed cut side. My goal,and only goal, is to help ckfish out, not argue semantics, which I refuse to do. If my statements that I am unable to tell for sure from the pics, and asking him how they are on is not enough of an explanation for you, so be it. You interpret as you see fit, and you are entitled to. However, allow me to suggest you don't bet that money against me, as you'll lose. Send it to ckfish to help him get this straightened out.
Let's allow ckfish to answer us when he determines what the problem is, then if you think I made a mistake, even after all the above suppositon, I'll be glad to apologize to you, to allay your concerns. I just ask that you donate that twenty to a worthy cause that will benefit someone truly in need. Enjoy your day.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2013, 12:22 PM »
Howdy walkindude. Welcome to Iceshanty.

Something I've noticed over time, the folks that get on an unreasonable rant and don't label their location, soon enough become known as trolls, scream the loudest and lose the respect of others. You may be our all knowing savior, but I'm withholding judgement until you reveal more of your inner self, by presenting ideas that may seem alien to us.  Would you like to be better included in our fold ?  An excellent start would be completing your profile by including a location.
                                                                                                                                 ;)2

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 02, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Good points Rebelss & Idahogator.

Let's get back to the issue at hand which in the blades!!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 02, 2013, 12:28 PM »
Ranting? Trolling? Really? By simply pointing out an error and helping a fellow angler out. Poor kid was convinced one of his blades was upside down when that clearly isn't the case. I showed him what was up, nothing more. What does my location have to do with it? 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Dec 02, 2013, 01:43 PM »

wow KP that was almost moving as release just stated  ;D but your right everyone was trying to help , and typing is just like texting there is no emotion as would be in a conversation

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 02, 2013, 01:44 PM »
These were a new set of blades after I noticed my auger wasn't performing very well. The blades made no difference so I'm guessing I need a whole new bit because I know for a fact that this one has not been used correctly. I now know how to properly use the auger and do not plan on allowing anyone to use the auger once I do fix this problem. I'm not going to be able to test this out until this weekend at the earliest but I'll let you guys know. Right now I'm thinking that something is bent and is causing it to not cut correctly.

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 02, 2013, 01:57 PM »
I emailed eskimo and they just got back to me saying they think the point is the culprit (I switched the blades but not the point). Now the question is do I buy a new point or just say screw it and buy a whole new auger bit.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #43 on: Dec 02, 2013, 02:02 PM »
Well, from looking at the pic, it's hard to tell, but I think at least one of your blades is on upside down. With the auger standing upright, the beveled part of both blades should be UP, ie; you can see it. The FLAT part of the blade should be on the BOTTOM..(toward's the ice, can't see it when upright), if that's how your blades are on, then I'd say your angle of attack is out of alignment. Remember, "sharp" blades mean razor sharp, you're actually "shaving" the ice at high speed. You should be able to cleanly slice a piece of paper with them.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!!!!!! That blade on the far side is upside down. Hello people?! He said he changed the blades due to performance. Hence he just didn't pay enough attention to detail (no offence) to when he put the new ones back on. Flip over that one blade so that the bevel is up and flat down and that thing WILL rip through the ice like a banshee. Seen that happen several times before, you're not the only one. Make sure you center point is sharp though. That is very important as well as spoken about.

Pat
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 02, 2013, 02:05 PM »
Just curious ckfish...does that auger wobble when running it??

Honestly I don't really know I'd have to run it again and see.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 02, 2013, 02:21 PM »
Just curious ckfish...does that auger wobble when running it??

Hey KP, do you think it really could bend the auger bit? I mean those things are built pretty rugged. I don't think I've seen one before. Dented up a little, but not to the point it wouldn't cut or off center. I could imagine if it yard sailed from the bed of a pick up, but banging on the ice? I guess anything is possible. It's only metal.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 02, 2013, 02:40 PM »
The overall bit where the blades are attached could be bent!!! NOT the "flight" side....the other side! Take a look.....the metal ring could potentially get bent, being open metal, with no support...... I could see that metal ring getting "reefed" on from being mis-used!

Agreed. My Jiffy doesn't have that ring so I would imagine it would be more prone to damage if leaned on hard the right way. I'll have to watch out for that if someone uses it. It only goes with me and if someone uses it, it's within eyes shot of me.

Offline michiganpolarbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 02, 2013, 03:43 PM »
Well, from looking at the pic, it's hard to tell, but I think at least one of your blades is on upside down. With the auger standing upright, the beveled part of both blades should be UP, ie; you can see it. The FLAT part of the blade should be on the BOTTOM..(toward's the ice, can't see it when upright), if that's how your blades are on, then I'd say your angle of attack is out of alignment. Remember, "sharp" blades mean razor sharp, you're actually "shaving" the ice at high speed. You should be able to cleanly slice a piece of paper with them.

was thinking the same looking at the picture about the blades being up side down. there is a flat side and a curved side try each side i am thinking the flat side should be down for some reason ??  but don't own the auger so cant look at one and tell you so i would try each side see what cuts better? ten inch augers like brace bit type  are known  not to cut that well.  if any thing i would get a nills lol's  but that just me after using a 8 inch last year! on 18 inches of ice in about 5 seconds  your threw it is very fun with a 8 inch auger... by the way that is the hand auger i used...  any thing past about 2 foot of ice your going to want a power nills lol's .   

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #48 on: Dec 02, 2013, 04:23 PM »

trying to straighten out a hole could apply enough force to tweek it , just a thought

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 02, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Looks like your blades are on the right way.  I have the same auger and my blades are on the same way and always have been.  Order another center pick and removes your blades then the old pick.  Replace the pick first, before putting the blades back on.  This will save you from cutting your fingers trying to work around the blades.  I tried drilling with new blades and an old dull pick and needed to put a new pick on.  Good luck :)
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Hookncook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 02, 2013, 04:55 PM »
I bought a used MAKO 8" from a guy and I went out and drilled some holes and it cut about like you say yours does.  I put new blades on it and a new point.  Same thing. I looked him up and asked him if he ever had any problems and he said, " It cuts like a champ. Right before I sold it to you I drilled some Post Holes with it and it drilled them out lickety split." :wacko:
Needless to say, I found my problem.  Mine doesn't have the ring around it either but what I ended up doing was putting some 22 ga. shims underneath and played around with the placements and now it cuts great.  Last option, order a new auger bit but I would try the point, like eskimo said, and then shims. Definitely cheaper than the $140.

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #51 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:24 PM »
Like the last post, I would try shimming your blades. Take a drinking straw, cut it to length to fit between the 2 screws. Place the shim between the blade and blade base. This will prove if your blade base is out of spec. Try 1 blade 1st. If it helps shim the other.
This will create a more aggressive bite on the ice.

The lead edge of your blades must be making contact with the ice when you start to turning you auger.

I kinda question the blade screws, are they hindering your lead edge of the blades?

Lots of auger info on Facebook             ice auger sharpening
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 06, 2013, 05:32 AM »
   Looking at the bottom picture I can see a nick on the outer tip of the upper blade.  I can also see nicks on the lower blade.
While you might think the blade is razor sharp all it takes is one defect and it can't bite the ice.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Let's not forget the hole being drilled starts at the point.  I was told many times by old timers when I started ice fishing that when ever you change blades I always change the point also, I've always done this.  It could be that the point is part of the problem since it wasn't changed.

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 13, 2013, 09:01 PM »
For those of you that care..I have confirmed that the blades are in fact installed correctly (they were from the start) it was the lighting of the picture that may have made it seem otherwise. The SMOOTH and flat edge is facing the ice while the BEVELED rough edge is facing the engine. Now I guess I'm going to have to try shimming I'll be testing the auger out tomorrow.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #55 on: Dec 13, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Before shimming the blade check the point. It's been said, but that's because it's right, the two most likely causes are the tip being dull/bent and the blades being dull/nicked.

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #56 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Any luck yet?? We are all waiting to hear what the happened.
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:15 AM »
I believe the blades are a big part of the issue although they were on correctly. I tried a different pair of blades that I had sharpened and they cut much faster than the ones I had on.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:32 PM »
My blades are new, on right, point is correct, and still drilling requires a LOT of down pressure. Does anybody know if the 6" ion auger will go on without mods, to a Mako viper head? Thanks!

Buy a suit that floats you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.