The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: My Auger Does Not Cut As Fast As It Should  (Read 11485 times)

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
My Auger Does Not Cut As Fast As It Should
« on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:40 PM »
So here is the problem, I have an eskimo mako 10 inch power auger, this is my third season with it. I changed the blades at the beginning of this season but it just isn't cutting as fast as it should. The blades are very sharp so I don't think anything is wrong with them. One thing I did not do was change the point. If I hold the auger out and apply NO pressure at all it takes over a minute to cut through around 14 inches of ice. If I apply pressure it will cut through in probably 45 seconds or so. I know you are not supposed to apply pressure when cutting but I've had multiple people operate this machine and maybe one of them started to do that and somehow messed it up? The engine runs perfect. When I apply no pressure it feels as if this blades aren't really digging in very well. Anybody know what could be wrong? I'm also considering changing to an 8 inch drill piece because 10 inch seems to just be too much. Can I put an 8 inch drill piece on the mako motor? Thanks in advance.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: My Auger Does Not Cut As Fast As It Should
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2013, 09:46 AM »
I bought an 8" for my Z51 this year and it cuts like butter. Never apply pressure. I would take the blades off and touch them up and also the point could use some touch up as well. I used pressure one time out there and had to change my blades to get it to cut. Every since I only let the auger do the cutting and I would never let anyone else use it. If they need a hole drilled do it for them.

I watch a group of 6 guy's offer their gas auger to a guy last trip out and it took him almost 2 minutes to get through 30" of ice.  He was leaning over the auger pushing down and tilting it back and forth and also lifting it up and down which will also bend or roll the blades over.

I was cutting through that 30" of ice in 25 seconds. No lie I drilled only 6 holes and each time it was 25 seconds tops. Let it do it's job.
<===Lefty===

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2013, 03:55 PM »
So you originally had a 10 inch but bought an 8 inch for it? and now that I have applied pressure just one time to my blades, I might as well get new ones?

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Does that drill have a center point? If so just as important to sharpen it with belt sander or file.
Fishin red lines

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2013, 06:56 PM »
Yes it does.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2013, 07:23 PM »
Yes you can put an 8" bit on a mako. All the eskimo powerheads are the same connector. You could even put a 6" bit on it if you could find one.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2013, 07:34 PM »
I'm thinking about putting an 8 inch bit on but it would cost $140. The 10 inch is just really annoying and I can't figure out why it hardly cuts.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2013, 07:36 AM »
So you originally had a 10 inch but bought an 8 inch for it? and now that I have applied pressure just one time to my blades, I might as well get new ones?

No you can sharpen your blades. I sharpen mine all the time. Fine stone works good. Don't touch the flat side except to touch up when done. If you go in a circular motion and keep the correct angle of the blades it doesn't take much to make them sharp again. Just don't over do it. I usually take a magic marker and cover the cutting edge. I then use a stone on it and only take off enough to get rid of the marker marks.

I got new blades as I like to have one set ready if I need them. You never know when you will run into sand,dirt ,someones charcoal for grilling or anything else that will dull blades fast.
<===Lefty===

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:48 PM »
So here is the problem, I have an eskimo mako 10 inch power auger, this is my third season with it. I changed the blades at the beginning of this season but it just isn't cutting as fast as it should. The blades are very sharp so I don't think anything is wrong with them. One thing I did not do was change the point. If I hold the auger out and apply NO pressure at all it takes over a minute to cut through around 14 inches of ice. If I apply pressure it will cut through in probably 45 seconds or so. I know you are not supposed to apply pressure when cutting but I've had multiple people operate this machine and maybe one of them started to do that and somehow messed it up? The engine runs perfect. When I apply no pressure it feels as if this blades aren't really digging in very well. Anybody know what could be wrong? I'm also considering changing to an 8 inch drill piece because 10 inch seems to just be too much. Can I put an 8 inch drill piece on the mako motor? Thanks in advance.
this post is me to a T, same year and auger model. It will NOT drill holes, without applying pretty good down force. I figure it is because it's a 10"?? I'm the only one in our group with a 10", and I've never ran any other 10"'s to compare. New blades a week ago, same as always. The auger is a workout. My buddy has a new 8" Eskimo, and I have drilled with his on many occasions. WAY quicker and effortlessly to drill. I'm getting an 8" auger for it, or selling it before next season.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2013, 10:29 PM »
this post is me to a T, same year and auger model. It will NOT drill holes, without applying pretty good down force. I figure it is because it's a 10"?? I'm the only one in our group with a 10", and I've never ran any other 10"'s to compare. New blades a week ago, same as always. The auger is a workout. My buddy has a new 8" Eskimo, and I have drilled with his on many occasions. WAY quicker and effortlessly to drill. I'm getting an 8" auger for it, or selling it before next season.

So I guess I'm not the only one. I'm thinking that I'm just going to buy the 8 inch and attach it to the motor head because nothing is wrong with the motor. It's gonna cost $140 though  >:( >:(.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:52 AM »
yea, my engine runs like a top. prob should just get a 8'' auger for it.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:15 AM »
I would get the 8 and then just make sure the center point is sharp as well. You could check the 10 inch center point and see if it needs to be touched up.
Fishin red lines

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:17 AM »
I also have the 10" Mako. I believe the 43cc engine is just a bit light for the 10 inch auger when ice conditions are kinda hard. My buddy has the 51 and it pushes the 10 inch auger fine. Other friends use the Mako 8 inch with no problems.
Oddly enough, I took the 7" auger off my Strikemaster electric and bolted onto the Mako....Holy hell that thing will flat drill a hole! And yes...it will bolt on to the Eskimo power head. no modifications.
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:27 AM »
I would add...check your oil/fuel mixture to make sure it is correct. and also check spark plug. I was running a little rich on the oil side and plug was kinda fouled. IMO the Mako needs to be running almost perfect to drill right with the 10 inch auger. This just my observation and I am happy with my Eskimo products.
Mako 10" auger
QF4 popup
4 and 6 inch hand auger
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:28 AM »
Being a 10'' has nothing to do with your augur not cutting.  You should have replaced the pick the same time you replaced your blades.  Your new blades may be sharp, but the angle of the blade may be off just enough to slow the auger down (factory defect), not allowing it to get a bite.  You could try shimming the blade.  I have seen blades put on backwards before too, cuts real slow.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:31 AM »
My point is fine, and is in mint condition. The auger has always performed like this since day one when I bought it new.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2013, 12:35 PM »
That sucks, sounds like a factory defect some where with the cutting blades or auger out of line.  My 10'' Eskimo just ripped through 130' of ice last trip out at 40'' of ice per hole.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2013, 02:08 PM »
So the 2013-2014 season is here and I still have yet to solve this auger issue. I took some pictures of the bottom of the auger. If anyone could tell me if they see something wrong that would be great. I'm about to just a buy a new 8 in auger attachment. Any advice is appreciated.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2013, 02:23 PM »
Well, from looking at the pic, it's hard to tell, but I think at least one of your blades is on upside down. With the auger standing upright, the beveled part of both blades should be UP, ie; you can see it. The FLAT part of the blade should be on the BOTTOM..(toward's the ice, can't see it when upright), if that's how your blades are on, then I'd say your angle of attack is out of alignment. Remember, "sharp" blades mean razor sharp, you're actually "shaving" the ice at high speed. You should be able to cleanly slice a piece of paper with them.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2013, 02:51 PM »
Well, from looking at the pic, it's hard to tell, but I think at least one of your blades is on upside down. With the auger standing upright, the beveled part of both blades should be UP, ie; you can see it. The FLAT part of the blade should be on the BOTTOM..(toward's the ice, can't see it when upright), if that's how your blades are on, then I'd say your angle of attack is out of alignment. Remember, "sharp" blades mean razor sharp, you're actually "shaving" the ice at high speed. You should be able to cleanly slice a piece of paper with them.

Looking at the picture I see what you are saying. One blade has the smooth edge and the other appears to have a rough edge exposed. You're saying the smooth edge is what should be facing the ice?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2013, 02:53 PM »
The FLAT edges should BOTH be facing down, or onto the ice. The ANGLED or BEVELED part of BOTH blades should be facing UP....and your blades are.......?

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2013, 02:55 PM »
thank you very much I'll be switching them around and testing it out once the ice gets a little thicker.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2013, 02:57 PM »
You're very welcome! Please send $20.   ;)2  :roflmao: 

PS....Let us know how it performs now....

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2013, 07:56 PM »
Not to start a pissing contest, but lets be clear on which way "up' is. Sorry Rebel, but it appears to me that they are installed correctly-smooth side against the ice, bevel toward the sky when the auger is cutting. The beveled face should be towards the engine.

Forgive me if I am misinterpreting the pictures, after you punish me. ;D

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Piss all ya want.  Doesn't bother me a bit.  I just tried to help the guy out.

The FLAT edges should BOTH be facing down, or onto the ice. The ANGLED or BEVELED part of BOTH blades should be facing UP....and your blades are.......?

Not to start a pissing contest, but lets be clear on which way "up' is. Sorry Rebel, but it appears to me that they are installed correctly-smooth side against the ice, bevel toward the sky when the auger is cutting. The beveled face should be towards the engine.

You just agreed with what I said. "Sky" would be up. At least it is around here. I usually look at an auger standing upright. IF they are reversed, as I can't tell for sure by the pic, then they are wrong. I have the same auger that zips thru the ice, and that's how MY blades and every other auger that I work on are set.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2013, 09:35 PM »
If the blades are installed correctly, sharp and the center point is sharp, and it still doesn't cut to your satisfaction, the next step would be to shim the blades with a thin piece of aluminum, or maybe two pieces. Place the shim/s between the supporting steel and the blades on the side of the bolts towards the cutting edge. This will increase the angle of attack of the cutting edges making the auger cut more aggressively.

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2013, 10:12 PM »

If you look very closely at the picture, one blade is installed correctly and one blade is not.

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:04 PM »
Look closer kiddo, both those blades are obviously on the right way -those type of blades have a minor(bottom) and major(top) bevel. The minor bevel will have a large sweep on the inside, the major bevel is a straight cut. Don't believe me, then look here at the major bevel http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/augers/eskimo-10-quantum-replacement-blades. Rebells suggestion that one is upside down is wrong. You have at least two problems that are clear from those photos, your blades are roached(which is obvious even from a somewhat blurry photo) and at the very least the first turn of the flight has a very bad flat spot -probably from trying to straighten things out half way down a hole and or from standing on the poor thing while cutting. You need to either have the flight straightened out by someone who knows what they are doing or just throw it in the garbage and start over. Either way you might look into finding someone to show you the do's and don'ts of using a power auger.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2013, 06:39 AM »
Look closer kiddo, both those blades are obviously on the right way -those type of blades have a minor(bottom) and major(top) bevel. The minor bevel will have a large sweep on the inside, the major bevel is a straight cut. Don't believe me, then look here at the major bevel http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/augers/eskimo-10-quantum-replacement-blades. Rebells suggestion that one is upside down is wrong. You have at least two problems that are clear from those photos, your blades are roached(which is obvious even from a somewhat blurry photo) and at the very least the first turn of the flight has a very bad flat spot -probably from trying to straighten things out half way down a hole and or from standing on the poor thing while cutting. You need to either have the flight straightened out by someone who knows what they are doing or just throw it in the garbage and start over. Either way you might look into finding someone to show you the do's and don'ts of using a power auger.
x2 on the blades , but I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me with  the flight , just set them down and let them do their job

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2013, 08:54 AM »
Last picture sure looks like chips on the blade. When you sharpen them you also need to touch up the flat side so there isn't any rough edges. If the bottom of the blades have rolled over you are putting too much pressure on the blades. Let the auger do the cutting and never push down like you would on a hand auger. Just a few stokes keeping the correct angle of the blades will sharpen them. the just a slight touch up on the bottoms. Good luck.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.