The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Setting up my mora auger, is this everything I need?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Setting up my mora auger, is this everything I need?
« on: Nov 19, 2019, 01:12 PM »
Alright, for my first year going electric I'm going to use my 6 & 8" mora augers since I already have them and reassess after one season. I have some cabelas gift cards and ready to purchase everything from there, just wanted to make sure I am not forgetting anything.

Drill- Ridgid Octane w/ handle
Auger - mora's
Extension - Clam 16" https://www.cabelas.com/product/CLAM-CORPORATION-DRILL-EXTENSION/2779341.uts?slotId=0
Adapter- Kovac https://www.cabelas.com/product/Kovac-Ice-Master-Drill-Adapter/1311533.uts?slotId=0

Is the kovac adapter better or should I go with the strikemaster one? I like the idea of using the handle vs paying for a clam plate, I'm young and thinking handling it shouldn't be a problem, just keep it against my leg? I know I've read people on both sides of the clam plate fence with the lazer hand auger.

Thanks guys!  :thumbsup:

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Setting up my mora auger, is this everything I need?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2019, 01:18 PM »
StrikeMasters NDA-3 is new for this season I believe ..its used on the new StrikeMaster Lite Flight auger unit .. can add the SM flange .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Ive ran the kovac with 6” mora/clam extension  with the ridgid octane works great.id be careful running a 8” mora though.could break handle off drill.mora grabs pretty hard at the bottom of the hole.i run a clam plate when using the 8” mora.jmo

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2019, 03:03 PM »
I have used this exact same setup for years with no complaints:

Ridgid drills (various torque)
6ah to 9ah batteries
6" to 8" mora augers
Kovac adapters

A few things -
Get the Kovac. I snapped a strikemaster in half.
More ah makes a big difference in power not just run time.
Sharp blades are a huge difference.
I never needed a clam plate. I try to stay light and compact though.

Plate or not, you have a pretty standard and common set up. You will definitely be happy with it. Strongly recommend 9ah batteries. Night and day compared to a gasser.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2019, 03:49 PM »
Just make sure you start slow, and don’t use any downward pressure once it gets going. Especially with the 8”, Before it breaks through, lift up slightly to slow down a bit so it doesn’t catch the bottom of the ice.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Good tips guys.

A mora with dull blades can skate on the ice, having sharp blades especially the beginning cutting edge is key. Also run the drill in the slowest drill setting.

I always put a touch of pressure to get the blades to start then once they grab you don’t need to push down at all.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2019, 07:50 PM »
I have heard that either the handles break or the notch on the drill housing breaks

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2019, 09:04 PM »
I have a clam plate that I ditched in favor of the Kovac. Many swear by the plate...it’s all about personal preference and I’m much happier using the Kovac.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2019, 10:14 PM »
Great info guys, appreciate it. I'll definitely watch out with the 8". I think I'll use the 6 a lot.

I should look into hand sharpening the blades also, the more shaver blades are the easy ones to sharpen right? Unlike the lazers.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2019, 10:30 PM »
Great info guys, appreciate it. I'll definitely watch out with the 8". I think I'll use the 6 a lot.

I should look into hand sharpening the blades also, the more shaver blades are the easy ones to sharpen right? Unlike the lazers.

Yea. A cheap $15 gatco ice auger sharpener works great for sharpening the blades on it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.