The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Icegator Attacker Review ........  (Read 69451 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Icegator Attacker Review ........
« on: Mar 02, 2009, 06:39 PM »

Icegator Review:  Attacker Model with 12 ah Batteries

Icegator in Action This is my first attempt at putting together a small video in my review.

Like my past reviews I’m posting this late in the season. The reason is to get as much field testing in as possible and to make this as honest as possible.

Features:

Made in the USA.
Light weight aluminum output shaft parallel to motor shaft supported by large (20mm6004) low friction ball bearing.
Single stage high speed, high torque gear reduction.
Powerful PMDC brush type motor rated .5HP (4.4 peak hp at 24)
High speed – approximately 285 RPM at the cutting edge for the 8” Icegator, 430 RPM  for the 6” Icegator and 195 RPM for the 12 volt Icegator.
Integral forward-off-reverse switch that also serves as the current carrying conductors.
Reverse feature allows for back flushing the ice slush, that remains after drilling, away from and under the ice hole.
24 volt power source with the ability to run from 12 volt, 9ah batteries or 12 volt, 12ah batteries. This offers an onboard battery source that allows for faster drilling and more holes to be drilled per charging cycle.
Install the 12 volt block system and you can run the unit on 12 volts by clamping to any ATV battery or an inside the shanty battery.
Batteries are securely held in place by an easily removable bolt down cover.
Handles are CNC machined from ¾” HDPE plastic making for an indestructible handle.

Test Conditions:

The test conditions varied from the air temperature, to ice thickness and weather.
During testing the power head, with batteries, was stored in my unheated garage. I checked the garage temperature regularly and the average temperature was 33 degrees.
When charging the unit I removed the power head from my Nils Master 8” shaft and brought the unit in my house. I let the batteries warm for about an hour and then charged. It was again stored in my garage until the night before an outing and then the auger was stored in my Explorer over night before going ice fishing. Again the overnight temperature varied from 3 degrees to 38 degrees.
The cutting head (blade) on my Nils is 5 years old and still cutting well.
The ice thickness varied from 6” thru 18” during testing.

Testing:

I took notes on all the excursions I had taken with the Icegator. In the notes I tried to include as much information as possible relating to the conditions that might affect the performance of the auger. This may also aid members in drawing their own conclusions.

Here’s an excerpt of the notes:

Thursday Jan 29, 2009
Brought power head in the house and waited an hour and charged. Attached power head to shaft and stored in the garage. Garage temperature was 33 degrees. The auger sat in the garage until Friday night.
The auger was loaded in the Explorer Friday night. Outside temperature was 27 degrees.

Saturday Jan 31, 2009
Demonstrated the Icegator at our derby and cut holes for 3 of us. We cut 54 total holes thru 12” of ice. The auger never slowed down. Stored the auger in the garage until Monday.

Monday Feb 2, 2009
Brought the power head in the house for an hour and charged. Total charge time was 1 hr 55 minutes. Stored auger in the garage. Garage temperature was 37 degrees.

Saturday Feb 7, 2009
At 8:00 pm took the auger from the garage and stored in the Explorer. Outside temperature was 38 degrees.

Sunday Feb 8, 2009
The outside air temperature was 35 degrees and we had rain/sleet in the morning. We cut 62 holes thru 18” of ice without slowing down. I was clearing the holes about half way thru.

Monday Feb 9, 2009
Brought power head in the house for an hour and charged. Total charge time was 2 hrs 25 minutes. Stored in garage and the temperature was 34 degrees.

Saturday Feb 14, 2009
Loaded auger in Explorer at 8:00 pm. Outside air temperature was 30 degrees.

Sunday Feb 15, 2009
We cut 58 holes thru 14” of ice and again the auger wasn’t slowing down. The outside air temperature was 28 degrees. Stored auger in garage. Garage temperature was 29 degrees.

Monday Feb 16, 2009
Brought power head in the house for an hour and charged. Total charge time was right at 2 hrs.

There were outings before and after but the list was long.

Your results may vary based on the ice thickness, the temperature and also the auger blade style and the sharpness of the blade.

Attacker on 5 gallon bucket

With cover off

With a battery removed

Charging

Thermometer in garage

Conclusion:

I’ve been using the IceGator this season and to tell you the truth I was quite skeptical. I expected it to be similar to past electric augers that didn’t have the torque, speed or endurance to cut many holes especially as the ice grew thicker. I found this wasn’t the case.
My very first impression was it felt heavy. The weight of the Attacker with the 12 ah batteries is 28 lbs. After using it to cut several holes it felt more comfortable. ( News on the batteries and weight will come later)
I was surprised at how well the Icegator had performed. I didn’t baby the auger nor did I abuse it. The auger was strong, quiet and had cut many holes effortlessly. I’d have to say the average amount of holes I would drill (by myself) in one outing would probably be in the neighborhood of two dozen. Even when I was out with friends we probably averaged in the neighborhood of seventy holes which the Icegator handled with no problems.
One advantage I noticed immediately was not having to start and warm up the auger to cut a few more holes. No gas, no starter pulling or fumes. Just pick it up and hit the forward button and your cutting .. whether you want to cut one or a dozen more holes. On several outings with friends everyone’s choice was the Icegator. I don’t think anyone had started their gas augers at all.
Another advantage was on lakes with auger restrictions. On many lakes they have a no power auger restriction which was by passed with the Icegator. On other lakes they have a no power auger until 8:00 am restriction which is again by passed with the Icegator.
The reverse feature was an added plus. To clear out the slush after drilling you simply hit the reverse and it forces the slush/water down under the ice. With a gas motor I normally would rev the motor and pull it out of the hole which usually splashes slush/water all over.
Another nice feature is the covered charging port on the underside of the unit. This allows for charging without the need to remove the cover or batteries. You simply open the cover on the port, plug the charger into the port and the other end into the outlet. It is best to keep the batteries upright while charging and I had my unit sitting on top of a 5 gallon bucket. The charger plug will only go in one way so be careful to line it up and not force it in.
The only problem I ran into the entire time was with the forward/reverse buttons. I accidently hit the button while moving the auger which momentarily engaged the shaft. I had contacted Icegator and I was informed they are aware of it and it is being remedied as we speak.
Overall I believe Icegator has a winning product. Between myself and several friends we’ve used the Icegator to cut literally hundreds of holes through ice of varying thickness and in varying conditions. From my experience this season I found the Icegator to be a strong, durable and reliable auger.
After speaking with Greg on the phone and via e-mail I believe Greg and his company to be very customer oriented and friendly. They stand behind their product and it’s made in the USA. What more can I say … it’s a keeper.

Some not yet released news/notes from Icegator :

New Upgrades for Icegators

Customers will soon be able to purchase NiMH battery packs. Cost for these packs will range from $200 to $300 but will reduce the weight down to 19 Lbs and give a third longer battery life.
( Greg also mentioned as with all new technology the price should come down after a while)

These notes will be added to future Icegator manuals but are here for your reference :

Drilling through deep ice

The proper way to drill trough deep ice such as 24” or more would be to drill down about 12” then lift the drive up so it cleans the shaved ice out from the hole. Then go back to drilling more ice. Note: pay attention to how the motor sounds if it starts to slow down any at all then you need to lift up.  

Off season maintenance

1. The batteries need to have a charge put through them at least once a month. If the batteries set for over 30 days without being charged it may damage the battery. So keep them at full charge during the off season.

2. Store the Icegator in temperatures from 40 to 70 degrees.

3. Charge the Icegator after each use, no matter how much you use it. Maintain a full charge. The batteries have no memory.

4. In cold temperatures below 5 degrees bring the Icegator inside and let it worm up for 30 minutes before trying to charge it.

5. Do not lay the Icegator down to charge. The batteries need to be charged in the upright position.

6. In freezing rain conditions, try to keep the buttons covered so they don’t freeze.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Icegator Attacker Review ........
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:03 PM »
"Lone wolf" that's an excellent review !!!......I just received mine this past week &
used it over the weekend, drilled over 50 holes without a glitch through 9" of Ice.
I have the "Attacker" model w/ the on board 9ah batteries.....my only regret  is
that I did not buy it in the beginning of the season. I had an issue because my
"Mora" 8'' auger was a different one that needed a special adapter, Mr. Greg
Pepples called me on a Saturday night to insure that all of my issues would be resolved
A.S.A.P. , within three days I was up & running.I can not say enough about the
professionalism of Mr. Pepples and the quality of  his  product, everything  that you have
stated in your review is exactly the way I feel about my "Gator".............NO GAS ISSUES!
 NO FUMES !! ..............Sincerel y, Zooplankton

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:13 PM »

Thanks zooplankton. All I can try to do is give the facts of what I found during testing and the testing procedures I used to do so. I'm glad everything worked out with your auger !  :thumbsup:

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:26 PM »
Very nice review .
a fisherman Cant ask for anything more than what you provided .

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:39 PM »
Awesome video,   you were going right through that ice  :clap:   Very impressive.  I would love to see how it would perform with a chipper type head,  like one on a Jiffy or Eskimo.    Amazing how quiet and fast it was in the video!
J.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:27 AM »
Like I stated in another thread "I have another brand Electra 12000 DP"  this review is tempting me more towards a switch or second auger. I will tell anyone this much though "once you go electric there is no turning back.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:50 AM »
Excellent review Lonewolf.

I wish i had one now, but i bought the jiffy only 2 years ago, could sell it i guess and get an icegator...hhmmmmmm.

I only have one question, the temperatures you recorded were mostly just above or below freezing, i'm in Nothwest Ontario and over your test periods i'd say our temperatures averaged minus 20 CELCIUS day, with temps dipping to minus 40 CELCIUS frequently at night. What kind of issues....if any.... do you think this would cause .
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:56 AM »

I wish i had one now, but i bought the jiffy only 2 years ago, could sell it i guess and get an icegator...hhmmmmmm.

I only have one question, the temperatures you recorded were mostly just above or below freezing, i'm in Nothwest Ontario and over your test periods i'd say our temperatures averaged minus 20 CELCIUS day, with temps dipping to minus 40 CELCIUS frequently at night. What kind of issues....if any.... do you think this would cause .

Those are some of the factors that are beyond my control. I took that into consideration when I posted "Your results may vary based on the ice thickness, the temperature and also the auger blade style and the sharpness of the blade.".
In my opinion, with everything else being equal, the colder the outside temp's are the less sustained power the batteries are going to have. In other words less holes could be drilled. It would have to actually be tested under those conditions to give you an exact answer as to power loss, etc..
I believe this is one of the reasons Icegator is going to offer the NiMH battery packs. They are supposed to have a lower temp rating and give approximately 1/3 longer battery life.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2009, 11:03 AM »

How many years would a set of battries last and how much to replace them???????
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2009, 01:42 PM »

How many years would a set of battries last and how much to replace them???????

The life of the batteries would depend on the maintenance. If you kept them topped off after each use during the ice fishing season and topped off once a month in the off season I would say 3-4 years. The battery manufacturer rates them for 5 years in standby and discharge/recharge 500-600 times.
Icegator has the 12v 12ah batteries listed for $39.99 each. That would be $79.98 plus s&h.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2009, 02:10 PM »
Again great review  kinda repeats what I have been saying for 2 years   best thing since the spud  proper care of the batteries is a must for long life    also dont let the charge get too low in the batteries  that is dont run em till they are dead  that kills any battery   Icegator is the way of the future  I cant wait till I have a chance to buy a 10" to use up here in northern maine    If it is anything like the 6" and 8" it is gonna be great!   I am personally glad I took the chance on them 2 seasons ago esp now with the poor gas we have now I know I will never have to worry!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:29 PM »
I personally got my hands on the icegator at our derby on Lake Aeroflex. Doug was kind enough to give me a demo and also let me cut a few holes on my own with the icegator. I could not believe how effortlessly it performed. and I  noted many others cutting holes with it also and noticed it never skipped a beat. I am looking forward to pulling one of my own in my sled next season.
 Again Thank-you Doug for the demo and hands on experience!!  :clap:

And don't let me forget to thank our sponsor for letting us demo the Icegator, Hats off to ya fellas!!!  :clap: :thumbsup: :bow:

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:17 AM »

Yesterday I had PM'd Mainehazmt asking him for his observations as the temps in northern Maine might be closer to yours. That should shed some light on the affects of the temps you mentioned vs the auger performance.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:31 AM »
I have used mine in a wide range of temps with no issues  I have used it at -30 f   but it was kept insidetruck and out on the lake it rode on top of my otter sled so it wasnt frozen up    usually I use it about 0 - 10* f usually and have the same results  I dont wait till half way down thru a hole to clean it   why over work something when it takes just a second to lift and clear it   I want this to last years and years   Now I dont go out and drill 50 holes each time if with a group maybe 15-20    but usually 10 or under on a normal outing   I keep my auger in the basement when not in use  (I dont have a garage yet)   and I charge it after each use   the chargers have a built in float charge to them so I dont time how long I charge it  In the summer I hook the batteries to the soal panel  so they stay charged till I need them   battery care is important!  Sharp blades are just as important     When you charge them and you have a lazer bit  ya need a 6 gallon bucket to set it in   adapter is longer    Keeping batterys warm are a plus   I also before cutting the hole I run the auger a bit before engaging the ice    kinda like warming up the motor before adding the torque to it

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2009, 12:10 PM »

Thanks Mainehazmt !  ;)

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2009, 01:45 PM »
Great job I will be getting one next year

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2009, 04:41 PM »
I too want to have found similar result with my Attacker.  I have a Mora auger head, 8" on mine and I have yet to hear the thing slow down even after 30+ holes through 24" of ice.

I have run mine without incident on a morning where temps were in the single digits. 

Interesting point about charging the batteries in the upright position, I have a showdown and a Cabelas Camera and they use the same batteries and are mounted sideways with no mention about issue when charged on their side.  I don't know that charging a sealed gel cel on it side should make any difference....(my 2cents)...

Nice work man!

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2009, 04:53 PM »
I got my attacker about the middle of Jan. Cuts super fast. I had an issue with the charger though. There must have been a short in the cable. It would charge...but only if I bent the cable to one side. I emailed Dee and she sent me out a new charger...no cost. Great customer service!!! New charger works as it should.
jbird68

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2009, 06:16 PM »
I too want to have found similar result with my Attacker.  I have a Mora auger head, 8" on mine and I have yet to hear the thing slow down even after 30+ holes through 24" of ice.

I have run mine without incident on a morning where temps were in the single digits. 

Interesting point about charging the batteries in the upright position, I have a showdown and a Cabelas Camera and they use the same batteries and are mounted sideways with no mention about issue when charged on their side.  I don't know that charging a sealed gel cel on it side should make any difference....(my 2cents)...

Nice work man!

Charging the batteries in the upright position is directly from the battery manufacturer so there must be a reason for it. The only thing I can think of is the one way venting. Maybe if they're not in the upright position they cannot vent properly while charging. 

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2009, 06:48 PM »
Charging the batteries in the upright position is directly from the battery manufacturer so there must be a reason for it. The only thing I can think of is the one way venting. Maybe if they're not in the upright position they cannot vent properly while charging. 

when you charge a battery you get the crap off the plates (sulferization)?? and it is better to build up on the bottom where there is room for that stuff (whatever it is called)   so it doesnt short the plates   Ill look it up in my battery books to get the correct name for it in next few days  ok

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:21 PM »

I was under the impression that gasses can build up when charging and the vent releases the excessive pressure. And then when in ordinary use the vent would remain closed to prevent oxygen from getting into the battery.

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:11 PM »
My tournament partner and I both ran the Gators this year on the NAIFC.  Greg and the company are great to work with, and I know he looks into the site, and takes the comments good and bad, and uses them to improve the product. Besides the new lithium batteries coming out, there are more improvements on the way in the future.

Only once during the season did I have put in a second set of batteries in one day, that was after 63 holes in subzero temps.  It took only minutes to change out the set, and keep on drilling up in Northern Wisconsin.  My set up is also the 12 amp, 12 volt model.  My bit is the 7" from my Lazer Mag Express. My partner runs the 6 inch Lazer hand drill with the adapter on the 9 amp model.

The longest I have let it sit out in the garage was 11 days, and that was after fishing the tourney in Michigan.  Drilled 36 holes that day during the tourney. Then took it on the road and scouted half a day while prefishing the Illinois tourney.  The Gator never slowed down. Call it 45+ holes that day.  Took five hours to charge that night after letting the batteries come up to room temp.  Taking the top plate off, allows the batteries to warm up faster by the way.

I too thought I would never use an electric auger, much less spend money on one.  Gator has taken the electric auger to steps that it seems like other companies never even thought of after having products on the markets for years.  It was like they were an after thought once they had a model on the market.  The kicker is, if the auger wasn't hands down better than what I already use to fish the tourneys,  I wouldn't use it.  It blows the doors off any other auger on the market.
MASON

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2009, 12:43 PM »
The last two times I charged my Gator, it was laying on the floor upside-down to get access to the charging port. It also sits flat upside down because the shaft sticks out the bottom.  I kept the box it came in to set the IceGator in after charging. If I had my way I would have put the charging port on the top so I can charge it while it sits in the box.
jbird68

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2009, 12:51 PM »
that is a good idea    I had one   get another connector and then ya could have had 12 volt power for the radio tv or lights   but alas I was told something in it to prevent it or hurt it  :(

Offline secret shanty lady

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing fever has arrived!!!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2009, 01:32 PM »
Icegator Review:  Attacker Model with 12 ah Batteries

(Image removed from quote.)

Like my past reviews I’m posting this late in the season. The reason is to get as much field testing in as possible and to make this as honest as possible.

Features:

we've been looking for a new auger and will keep this in mind!!

Made in the USA.
Light weight aluminum output shaft parallel to motor shaft supported by large (20mm6004) low friction ball bearing.
Single stage high speed, high torque gear reduction.
Powerful PMDC brush type motor rated .5HP (4.4 peak hp at 24)
High speed – approximately 285 RPM at the cutting edge for the 8” Icegator, 430 RPM  for the 6” Icegator and 195 RPM for the 12 volt Icegator.
Integral forward-off-reverse switch that also serves as the current carrying conductors.
Reverse feature allows for back flushing the ice slush, that remains after drilling, away from and under the ice hole.
24 volt power source with the ability to run from 12 volt, 9ah batteries or 12 volt, 12ah batteries. This offers an onboard battery source that allows for faster drilling and more holes to be drilled per charging cycle.
Install the 12 volt block system and you can run the unit on 12 volts by clamping to any ATV battery or an inside the shanty battery.
Batteries are securely held in place by an easily removable bolt down cover.
Handles are CNC machined from ¾” HDPE plastic making for an indestructible handle.

Test Conditions:

The test conditions varied from the air temperature, to ice thickness and weather.
During testing the power head, with batteries, was stored in my unheated garage. I checked the garage temperature regularly and the average temperature was 33 degrees.
When charging the unit I removed the power head from my Nils Master 8” shaft and brought the unit in my house. I let the batteries warm for about an hour and then charged. It was again stored in my garage until the night before an outing and then the auger was stored in my Explorer over night before going ice fishing. Again the overnight temperature varied from 3 degrees to 38 degrees.
The cutting head (blade) on my Nils is 5 years old and still cutting well.
The ice thickness varied from 6” thru 18” during testing.

Testing:

I took notes on all the excursions I had taken with the Icegator. In the notes I tried to include as much information as possible relating to the conditions that might affect the performance of the auger. This may also aid members in drawing their own conclusions.

Here’s an excerpt of the notes:

Thursday Jan 29, 2009
Brought power head in the house and waited an hour and charged. Attached power head to shaft and stored in the garage. Garage temperature was 33 degrees. The auger sat in the garage until Friday night.
The auger was loaded in the Explorer Friday night. Outside temperature was 27 degrees.

Saturday Jan 31, 2009
Demonstrated the Icegator at our derby and cut holes for 3 of us. We cut 54 total holes thru 12” of ice. The auger never slowed down. Stored the auger in the garage until Monday.

Monday Feb 2, 2009
Brought the power head in the house for an hour and charged. Total charge time was 1 hr 55 minutes. Stored auger in the garage. Garage temperature was 37 degrees.

Saturday Feb 7, 2009
At 8:00 pm took the auger from the garage and stored in the Explorer. Outside temperature was 38 degrees.

Sunday Feb 8, 2009
The outside air temperature was 35 degrees and we had rain/sleet in the morning. We cut 62 holes thru 18” of ice without slowing down. I was clearing the holes about half way thru.

Monday Feb 9, 2009
Brought power head in the house for an hour and charged. Total charge time was 2 hrs 25 minutes. Stored in garage and the temperature was 34 degrees.

Saturday Feb 14, 2009
Loaded auger in Explorer at 8:00 pm. Outside air temperature was 30 degrees.

Sunday Feb 15, 2009
We cut 58 holes thru 14” of ice and again the auger wasn’t slowing down. The outside air temperature was 28 degrees. Stored auger in garage. Garage temperature was 29 degrees.

Monday Feb 16, 2009
Brought power head in the house for an hour and charged. Total charge time was right at 2 hrs.

There were outings before and after but the list was long.

Your results may vary based on the ice thickness, the temperature and also the auger blade style and the sharpness of the blade.

(Image removed from quote.) Attacker on 5 gallon bucket

(Image removed from quote.) With cover off

(Image removed from quote.) With a battery removed

(Image removed from quote.) Charging

(Image removed from quote.) Thermometer in garage

Conclusion:

I’ve been using the IceGator this season and to tell you the truth I was quite skeptical. I expected it to be similar to past electric augers that didn’t have the torque, speed or endurance to cut many holes especially as the ice grew thicker. I found this wasn’t the case.
My very first impression was it felt heavy. The weight of the Attacker with the 12 ah batteries is 28 lbs. After using it to cut several holes it felt more comfortable. ( News on the batteries and weight will come later)
I was surprised at how well the Icegator had performed. I didn’t baby the auger nor did I abuse it. The auger was strong, quiet and had cut many holes effortlessly. I’d have to say the average amount of holes I would drill (by myself) in one outing would probably be in the neighborhood of two dozen. Even when I was out with friends we probably averaged in the neighborhood of seventy holes which the Icegator handled with no problems.
One advantage I noticed immediately was not having to start and warm up the auger to cut a few more holes. No gas, no starter pulling or fumes. Just pick it up and hit the forward button and your cutting .. whether you want to cut one or a dozen more holes. On several outings with friends everyone’s choice was the Icegator. I don’t think anyone had started their gas augers at all.
Another advantage was on lakes with auger restrictions. On many lakes they have a no power auger restriction which was by passed with the Icegator. On other lakes they have a no power auger until 8:00 am restriction which is again by passed with the Icegator.
The reverse feature was an added plus. To clear out the slush after drilling you simply hit the reverse and it forces the slush/water down under the ice. With a gas motor I normally would rev the motor and pull it out of the hole which usually splashes slush/water all over.
Another nice feature is the covered charging port on the underside of the unit. This allows for charging without the need to remove the cover or batteries. You simply open the cover on the port, plug the charger into the port and the other end into the outlet. It is best to keep the batteries upright while charging and I had my unit sitting on top of a 5 gallon bucket. The charger plug will only go in one way so be careful to line it up and not force it in.
The only problem I ran into the entire time was with the forward/reverse buttons. I accidently hit the button while moving the auger which momentarily engaged the shaft. I had contacted Icegator and I was informed they are aware of it and it is being remedied as we speak.
Overall I believe Icegator has a winning product. Between myself and several friends we’ve used the Icegator to cut literally hundreds of holes through ice of varying thickness and in varying conditions. From my experience this season I found the Icegator to be a strong, durable and reliable auger.
After speaking with Greg on the phone and via e-mail I believe Greg and his company to be very customer oriented and friendly. They stand behind their product and it’s made in the USA. What more can I say … it’s a keeper.

Icegator in Action This is my first attempt at putting together a small video in my review.

Some not yet released news/notes from Icegator :

New Upgrades for Icegators

Customers will soon be able to purchase NiMH battery packs. Cost for these packs will range from $200 to $300 but will reduce the weight down to 19 Lbs and give a third longer battery life.
( Greg also mentioned as with all new technology the price should come down after a while)

These notes will be added to future Icegator manuals but are here for your reference :

Drilling through deep ice

The proper way to drill trough deep ice such as 24” or more would be to drill down about 12” then lift the drive up so it cleans the shaved ice out from the hole. Then go back to drilling more ice. Note: pay attention to how the motor sounds if it starts to slow down any at all then you need to lift up. 

Off season maintenance

1. The batteries need to have a charge put through them at least once a month. If the batteries set for over 30 days without being charged it may damage the battery. So keep them at full charge during the off season.

2. Store the Icegator in temperatures from 40 to 70 degrees.

3. Charge the Icegator after each use, no matter how much you use it. Maintain a full charge. The batteries have no memory.

4. In cold temperatures below 5 degrees bring the Icegator inside and let it worm up for 30 minutes before trying to charge it.

5. Do not lay the Icegator down to charge. The batteries need to be charged in the upright position.

6. In freezing rain conditions, try to keep the buttons covered so they don’t freeze.

Livin' the dream!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2009, 04:17 PM »
I contacted Zues today(the guys that make the batteries) and here is what I was told....

It’s ideal operating position is upright.  These Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries can operate in alternative positions just over long periods of time can shorten the life span of the battery.  By using in a different position the electrolyte material will gather in a different location.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2009, 08:37 PM »
nice review!!! im thinking about getting one instead of a gas one but id hate to run outa battery while drilling.. can it be hooked up to a snowmobile battery??

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2009, 06:18 AM »
with the adapter you can

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2009, 07:14 AM »
So with the adapter do you take out the batteries and use that block or does the battery sit in the block?
My S.M. Electra just has a cord with a plug-in which is pretty convenient you can use one or the other on the
fly as well as charge on the go. This looks like you need to switch out from either battery or alternate source if not you are dealing with the cord.
Note the quick connect for changing from one source to the other
Speed and hole quantity still has me intrigued?
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Mar 06, 2009, 07:44 AM »
yes take the batteies out on the icegator   not really a big deal   but if you use the adapter you slow down the auger as it is running on 12 volts vs 24 volts with the batteries

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.