Author Topic: What floro leader for lakers?  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
What floro leader for lakers?
« on: Nov 12, 2017, 05:32 PM »
I'm mostly concerned with the pound test recommended by some of our experienced laker chasers. I will be fishing incredibly clear water so I don't want to overdue it but I know these fish are notorious bull dogs. I'm going to go with an 8' leader or so, would you recommend a very small swivel that can be wound safely through the guides or would a uni to unit work? I will be fishing over 100' of water. Also if you want to throw in your brand of choice I wouldn't mind hearing your opinion. All my floro experience has Brel Berkeley 100% floro and I've been pretty happy with it but I'm not sure how high of test it goes.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: What floro leader for lakers?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2017, 09:07 PM »
18" of 12lb Seaguard, small Shampo Ball Bearing swivel looped on to my braid with a Bimini Twist. I use the same basic rig. jigging on the ice or open water on some very clear lakes.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2017, 09:31 PM »
I’ve been using 8lb PLine Cfx Leader for a few years and I change out 2-3’ of fresh material every time out.  A quality swivel is essential if your jigging.  A smaller line diameter should impart more action to the jig and will increase the number of takes...IMO.  If your only hanging bait you could likely run heavier test with little effect. 

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2017, 10:28 PM »
My normal mainline is 12lb mono.  My heavy rig is 20lb mono.  I use 15lb and 17lb seaguar blood-knotted to the main line.  (Be forewarned the blood knots are tough to get right with thick stiff fluoro.)

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2017, 10:50 PM »
12lb Seaguar fluorocarbon leader material, not casting line, leader material, tied to your main line with the Alberto knot. Forget the swivel. Youtube the alberto knot. Rock solid, very low pro, and easy to tie..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.