Author Topic: how much line?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
how much line?
« on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:45 PM »
I plan on fishing for lakers in deep water, up to 100fow.  Don't want to get spooled out, wondering how much line I should put on the reel, the ice braid I bought comes in a spool of 75yrs do I need to put some backing on or would that be enough?
@jzuliniak

Offline hallyslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: how much line?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2010, 08:11 PM »
depending on the size of fish, i think that should be enough, unless the fish you are targetting average 10 + lbs. There is nothing wrong with having more than enough line.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2010, 04:43 AM »
I think that should be enough, but you should consider more important than the amount of line is the quality of the drag system you have on your reel.

A good sized laker will find the flaws of your drag system in a hurry, not to mention if you are going to specifically target Lake Trout.
Repeated battles with multiple lakers in a day will give a reel a pretty good work out.

Buy good quality equipment.

If I were you I would P.M. a guy like drifter to see what he uses.  He gets huge lakers every year, and lots of 'em.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2011, 04:01 PM »
I spool up all 75 yrds of it.  I have come up nearly short on 50 yrds at time so 75 yrds is self assurance.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.