Author Topic: Need some help bait/presentation  (Read 988 times)

Offline stephensonswille

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need some help bait/presentation
« on: Dec 09, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Going out this weekend to a spot I know on the edge of lake michigan that holds big steelhead and browns and I've never fished trout threw the ice so I was wondering what I should use as bait and how I should present it. I have tip ups and jig poles I also have fresh salmon spawn that I cured let me know what I can do with this combo of equipment any help would greatly appreciated. And thanks again for any info

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Need some help bait/presentation
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2010, 04:49 PM »
When I lived in Ontario we used to fish roe under a float just like we would in the open water season. Heck some guys would even use their long river rods and have to stand way back from the hole while fighting a fish.  ::)
I used custom 4' ice rods made for the task.   8)

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: Need some help bait/presentation
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2010, 05:50 AM »
Off the Tipups -

A three way rig,  One side to a bell sinker, about a foot or two below the threeway.

Then I use a leader of usually 3 to 5 feet.  You can use a plain hook and spawn sac, or a spin-n-glow and spawn sack.

Remember to try different colors for your netting.  It does make a difference.

One year, yellow netting was the ticket, nothing else would get touched.

Off of your jigging rods-
Try jigging spoons, in different sizes.   I usually like to tip mine with a minnow or parts of a minnow.
You could also try different jigs, and lures.

If you deadstick with any of your rods, make sure the drags are set right and  that you are always close by.
Deadsticking with minnows, waxies, and spawn is also a good method to try.

Remember to fish the entire water column, from just below the ice all the way to the bottom.

Watch out for thin ice, be safe and stay on top!

Wiener

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.