Author Topic: no hooks  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
no hooks
« on: Jan 16, 2004, 05:25 PM »
Everyone has at least one story about the fish they caught barehanded! I got a few for you, and its been too cold in the north the last few days to brave the lakes, so fess up! What have you caught with your BARE HANDS!  :o :o :o
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:no hooks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2004, 05:37 PM »
Chased down a bunch of suckers in a stream once in VT it was loads fun.  Thingsyou do when young and stupid :)

oh yeah the pike story reminds me on the time i hooked this 24" 2 lb pickeral fishing with my dad out of a boat in 5 acre pond well i got the fish up to the boat my dad grabbed the line and the hook came out  the fish fell in the water and just laided there next too the boat exhausted from the fight so my dad just reached down and bare handed the fish. At that time it was the biggest pickeral i had ever caught

Usta catch slimy sculpins out of a stream too

Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2004, 05:39 PM »
ok I'll start.  I once caught some small trout out of a stream with my bare hands.  Chased them into the shallows then got em cornered.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2004, 05:42 PM »
Keep goin! Ive grabed a 3 1/2 lb brown in a river while others on the bank watched. Who needs to spend money on a Sage rod! ::)

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2004, 05:58 PM »
While ice fishing in minnesota i caught a 9 lb. pike and he came off the hook in the hole.I tryed to gill him and in my haste i got my hand in his mouth and you guessed it he clamped down.While trying to get away from him i drug him out on the floor of the shanty. I bled a lot but i got the fish or did he get me???????
Bobberstop

Offline Ottawa_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2004, 06:00 PM »
Few years back I caught a 3" sturgeon with a mug.
The fish was hiding near docks, and it took some
patience. That was my only sturgeon so far.   :)

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2004, 06:49 PM »
Ok, we have a pond that's right next to work.  One day the state came in to stock trout.  They stocked the pond, then they stocked the small pool and stream that is under the dam for the pond.  My buddy and I saw them, so, when they left he went running down to the dam, and, with his bare hands and scooped up the trout, threw them to me, and I put them back in the pond above the dam.  There were brookies anywhere between 6-10" - we must have got at least 8 or 10, no kidding.  The kids had fun catching and releasing those fish for the rest of the summer.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2004, 07:01 PM »
tailed a big king when in swam by me this fall.Yes I let it go. :)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2004, 07:10 PM »
I knew I wasn't alone. Ive chased rainbows in a river. If you dog after them, you know what they do? They stick their heads under a rock to hide! You can catch them and they dont know your comming! I've even barehanded flounder in Long Island sound. Got a freind who barehands lobster! Holds his breath, dives under the rocks, sticks his hand in the lobsters face and comes up screaming but with the lobster still on his fingers! Thats guts! :o :o :o

icefishnfool

« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2004, 08:15 PM »
I did not witness it but, a friend told me he was setting tipups ,setting the depth with a clip on depth weight and a crappie grabbed it and he pulled it up through the hole without hooking it and then it spit it out , he said it clampped on to it like a alligator ....sounded like bull pookie to me , but just maybe  ??? ??? ???

acsacmboy

« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2004, 08:42 PM »
suckers, a pike, i got a snapping turtles painted turtles a few 15-20 pound rainbows. all released. alot of fish..

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2004, 08:44 PM »
i was fishing the kasilof river in alaska with a friend from minnesota.  We were fishing for red salmon and the water of the river is sky blue with a foot of clarity.  reds run up the side of the river and the best way to catch them is to drift the line through their mouths.  anyway he is a good natured guy and we gave him greif when he put on a huge bobber and a coho fly 2 feet below it.  There was no way he was going to catch a fish, he might as well have been fishing in the toilet as he casted out to the middle of the river.  Any i'm down river and this lady comes up to me and says i think your friend has a fish on.  I was like how? and i looked up the river and sure enough he's reeling and kicking a fish on the bank.  As i got closer i realised the fish was in and he was still reeling.  Anyway I come over to him and he says is this a red?  He had a 20 pound, fresh from the salt king salmon.  He had already killed it by the time i got there and fortunately his king salmon stamp was still good for that day.  But what had happened is the king ran between him and the bank and he kicked it up on shore. Amazing!

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2004, 09:44 PM »
one spring the carp were running in the flood waters.  THere were a large group of fishermen trying to snag some of these fish that were in a road ditch (yes this is illigal).  THere was a colvert under the road that the fish were swimming in to get back to the river.  every once in a while one would come close to the surface.  I asked dad why these people were trying to snag the fish when all you would have to do is grab one of these carp just before it entered the colvert.  He laughed at me and said "If you think it is that easy try it".  I watched for a few seconds and then moved into position while Dad laughed at me.  Up came a carp to the surface and down I reached.  Out popped the fish up on the bank.  Of course all dad could say was that I got lucky so just that quick I threw the next two at his feet.  The rest of the summer he called me "grizzly adams"  and yes as a kid it was fun to prove the old man wrong.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2004, 10:00 PM »
I was wading into a pond to was the mud off my legs. Heres this catfish just moseying along. I waite until he was between me and shore and pinned him to bottom and got my thumb inhis mouth. I picked him up, 24", and my dad was like 'NO WAY'. Another time I was wading for trout. These kids were swimming as I waded past. I stopped to talk a little while. Here this brown swims right between my legs and STOPS. I s-l-o-w-l-y slid my hands into the water and grabbed him. He about broke my wrists so i threw him on shore. 14". Still my biggest brown from that stream.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2004, 10:12 PM »
Once on a shallow, wide river in colorado called the north fork of the gunnison, it was a day where the lightning was awful. I saw this thing waving right under the bank (undercut) and I reached under and pulled up a 14" rainbow
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2004, 10:51 PM »
back about 15 or so years i was blufishing about 8 miles off the coast of maine,in a 12 foot boat :-X(dont tell my dad it was his skiff).we had landed a few 10-12 # blues right away not wanting these big boys flopping around our little boat my friend and i cleaned them passed a rope through thier gills and threw  them in.tying the other end of the rope off to the skiff.all of a sudden i heard some splashing right beside  the boat and when i looked i saw about 4 or 5 dogfish(sand sharks)tearing apart our bluefish so i grabbed one by the tail and pulled it in the boat it probably wieghed about 35 lbs. well we had a good laugh and threw the  confused creature back in.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2004, 07:28 AM »
Fishing with a buddy one time, we had three nice pickeral on a chain stringer over the side of the canoe. When I went to add another , I found four on the stringer. One smaller fish came up to join the school, I guess, and swam into a closed clip on the stringer catching himself as if he were in a gill net. Released him.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline crappieman12887

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love them crappies!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2004, 01:25 PM »
I knew I wasn't alone. Ive chased rainbows in a river. If you dog after them, you know what they do? They stick their heads under a rock to hide! You can catch them and they dont know your comming! I've even barehanded flounder in Long Island sound. Got a freind who barehands lobster! Holds his breath, dives under the rocks, sticks his hand in the lobsters face and comes up screaming but with the lobster still on his fingers! Thats guts! :o :o :o
This reminds me of an old friend of mine that used to lobster out of the sound.  Pulling his pods he had fallen with them  and when he had gotten up he had them hanging from him.  So I think that day the lobsters had gotten him, instead of him getting them....thanks for bring back a fond memory of a good friend. :)

Offline wisicefishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2004, 08:02 PM »
I have caught a sucker and a king salmon in the shallows in front of our cabin on lake superior.  I've also caught a partrige by jumping off the 4 wheeler and grabbing it.  I released them all. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.