Author Topic: Ice Shelter Woes!  (Read 3901 times)

bigstyk1

Ice Shelter Woes!
« on: Jan 15, 2004, 12:08 AM »
Pulled the old reliable Shappell 3000 from the garage rafters last week to find that ol' mister mouse 'ate' a 4" x 6" hole in the tarp material!  Does anyone know if there is a patch kit availabe to purchase?  Or perhaps you fellas have an alternative repair idea you could reccomend?  Looking for something quick yet long lasting.  THANKS!!!

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Ice Shelter Woes!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2004, 12:20 AM »
Try Duct tape.

DaFish

bigstyk1

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2004, 12:28 AM »
Yeah, thought of that too.  Wondering if the tape would handle the cold and wind?  THANKS!
Try Duct tape.

DaFish

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2004, 04:12 AM »
i would try a mathing piece of fabric and ahot glue gun  use lots of glue and do both the outside and inside :'( :'(

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2004, 04:23 AM »
Go buy a tent patch kit. I've used it on my shapell in a couple of spots and it holds up great. I think you can get them at Walmart. Glue the patch on and sew it into place. One of mine is in a high stress area and it holds like it was new.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2004, 05:24 AM »
I patched mine with canvas that I purchased at Wally world, I just hand sewed My big hut , yesterday I used the sewing machine to fix my solo  hut it worked good[ The canvas cost 54 cents.].
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2004, 07:44 AM »
When you put it away throw some moth balls in it.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2004, 08:02 AM »
You could also try those iron on patches. I would put one on both the inside  and the outside. Dazzle one of your fishing buddies into holding up a piece of 2x6, so you have something to iron against. Then catch your wife when she's in a good mood(mine rarely seems to be) and get her to hand sew around the edges of the patch. Probably be a good idea to use heavy duty nylon thread like you would use to tie jigs or bucktails. Then if you are anal like me, spray the patched area with a good waterproofing spray, such as Scotchguard. Should then be good to go! :)
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2004, 08:07 AM »
Then set out a couple of mouse traps...pike love mice!
FTD

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2004, 08:42 AM »
Use the duct tape inside and out and heat with a hair dryer tho make the patch extra sticky..When it cools off it will hold better........

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2004, 08:58 AM »
I tried the iron-on patches on my fish trap and they didn't hold.  I ended up using water proof tite-bond and a piece of denim from an old pair of jeans.  I had a buddy hold a board on the outside while I glued the patch on the inside.  Then I put another board on the inside and ran a couple of screws through to hold the boards together and the patch in place till it dried.  The patch is kind of stiff, but holds well.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2004, 09:09 AM »
I've found (on the Fish Traps anyway) that using Fabri-Tac and patches works best. Bring the hut in the house to get the cover warm and apply the Fabri-Tac and patch to the inside and then do the same to the outside. It dries quick, dries clear and has held up in the coldest conditions.
Those who are brave are free ..

bigstyk1

« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2004, 01:16 PM »
Guys, thanks for your quick responses and great ideas.  Thanks to you, should have the ol' hut back intact and ready for this weekend.  Good fish'n!
I've found (on the Fish Traps anyway) that using Fabri-Tac and patches works best. Bring the hut in the house to get the cover warm and apply the Fabri-Tac and patch to the inside and then do the same to the outside. It dries quick, dries clear and has held up in the coldest conditions.

Offline evomaster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2004, 01:35 PM »
Don't say F@%k it   duct it.
that's what i did to mine when i burned a hole in it
the size of a dinner plate. that was four years ago
and it's still holding. ;D
RIDE 'EM HARD RIDE 'EM FAST
PUT 'EM AWAY WET

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishermen walk on water!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2004, 04:47 PM »
I used the iron-on patches on my Shappell without any problem. I set the ironing board up on end to do it. Gotta use 'em on both sides, and heat the tent fabric with the iron first.

missfishylicious

« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2004, 06:48 PM »
try useing a piece of tarp and glue it on with the black sealent they use for windshields I think it's call rtv sealent or something like that it will stay plyable in all temps thats what I'd try  ;D

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2004, 07:31 PM »
HAHA that dog picture is funny Missy, lol

Offline jimfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Set The HOOK!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2004, 10:18 AM »
Use the iron on patches. They are thin and flexable.

missfishylicious

« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2004, 12:19 PM »
HAHA that dog picture is funny Missy, lol
thanks thats my golden pup she's looking for the minnow she knows I put one in there ;D ;D

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2004, 06:12 PM »
Talk to Bigredonice he used plastic fron a kids sled and it seemd to work well  his sled well since we do so much ice fishing he just wore a hole right in the runners and the sled wasnt even a yr old yet

bigredonice can be found on the NY Forum
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline wisicefishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2004, 07:30 PM »
On my otter tent, I heated up duct tape, then put in on, then heated it again. After that, I put shoe goo around the edges.  Tough as nails and that was 3 yrs ago.

Offline RodH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2004, 09:10 PM »
I've used leather (from a jacket my ex left behind)  and contact cement to patch small holes and reinforce high wear areas on my fish trap. If you don't have a leather jacket to trash, I'm sure canvas would do the job. :)

BIG MEAN

« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2004, 10:52 PM »
TOOK MINE TO THE FATHER-IN-LAWS ,HE HAS A
CANVAS SHOP. BETTER THAN NEW

Offline Gusher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2004, 03:05 AM »
I used to have mouse hole problems and I would get a piece of canvis and a buddy.  One of us would stay on the inside and the other would be outside.  We patched it up by pushing the sewing needle back and forth to each other.  But the best way to keep mr mouse from vandalizing your ice house is to store it set up.  I know that most people don't any room to do that, but I haven't had one mouse hole since I started doing that.

good luck

Offline THETROLL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2004, 08:44 AM »
A friend patched his portable after the heater got at it using a peice of plastic tarp. He glued it on with GOOP.  Worked just fine and fairly flexable too.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2004, 09:30 AM »
I have good luck patching with simular material on both sides using contact cement. It wont come lose like tape or hot glue in the cold.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.