Author Topic: Wardens???  (Read 3470 times)

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
Wardens???
« on: Jan 14, 2004, 05:48 AM »
Does anyone think that local wardens ever check this sight out to find out where everyone is fishing?  Just a thought ??? Or do you think they have better things to do??

Offline nehusker13

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Wardens???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2004, 05:54 AM »
I dont know about you, but I have yet to see a warden while I have been out. So they must have better things to do. It is actually kinda disturbing to me too, a friend and I were out Monday and someone had left about 20 bluegill and 1 perch on the ice. >:(  About half of the gill were nice sized ones too... and the perch, well it was a decent one for this area(thats why we travel north for perch ;D).

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2004, 06:38 AM »
why wouldnt you want to see a warden? if you are just fishing and you have liscence, ive found that they dont really bother you .sometimes they can be kinda helpful :'( :'(

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:21 AM »
Bill - Nobody doesn't want not to see a warden.......we do. Read the post over.  ;D We're curious as why we never see them. Man I can't begin to tell you all the nasty stuff I've seen while fishing. I have their # in my cell and won't hesitate to drop the dime.

slacker

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:25 AM »
Just had a lady warden check us out this last weekend.  we were sitting in the shack playing some euchre, pops her head in (nearly messed my self :o wasnt expecting it) said " i think you have a flag" so of cousre it was mine. i went to check while she was checking everyone else. needless to say i lost a nice bass right at the hole :( i hate that)  took my time respoolin the tip up and showed her my license then she was on her way.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:31 AM »
If your looking for a warden at the boat launch on Saratoga Lake then try the Stewarts shop where the bait shop is located. I have seen them there twice and talked to them once.I asked him what the deal was with ATV's on the ice.He says his supervisor says leave them alone.They aren't going to bother with us. ;D

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:40 AM »
If you are not breaking any laws,don't worry about them ,they are just doing thier job...........

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:47 AM »
OH YEAH THANKS MATT :) :'( :'(

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:48 AM »
Their job that we pay for. Personally where I'm @ I would like to see them more often. Especially the ladies.  ;)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:54 AM »
YOU GUYS  HAVE LADIES?? :o

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2004, 09:41 AM »
I don't believe I have ever seen a warden on the ice. I've been checked on open water a lot, but never on the ice. I for one would like to see them more often. Maybe some of the folks that fish around me will pay attention to the laws a little more.

grumpymoe

« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2004, 09:50 AM »
i dont mind them coming around to check up. they do provide good info if you ask. keeps the ones that abuse our fishing regs out and away!!! grump

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2004, 09:52 AM »
Esox, fish down this way if you want to see them.  I've seen two wardens so far and expect to keep seeing them.  I like it.  Keeps people honest.  They are not afraid to hike out a ways to you either.  Around here a lot of the time they split between snowmobile patrols and checking fishermen.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2004, 09:59 AM »
Around here I see them a couple of times a season regardless of the lake I am on.

We also have DNR guys (not COs) doing creel checks and taking scale samples.

fishmann

« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2004, 10:05 AM »
I've seen em out twice, once a guy wrote me a warning for not having  a current license on my snowmobile. (1972 Ski-Doo Nordic, goes about 20, only used for ice fishing.) But he did clue me into getting a "Vintage" license, good for the life of the sled for like 20$, even sent me the application form in the mail, was very friendly and helpful. The second time, was two women wardens, they brought jet skis in the summer. I live about 100 yards from the public access, was a HOOT to watch em, took em like 30 minutes to get the trailer backed up to the water semi-straight, then they couldn't get em running, then one of em hit the throttle at the wrong time and T-boned the other one, only about 5 feet away, no harm done. It was like watching Laurel and Hardy with green uniforms on. All they did was ride around the lake and get close to docks with boats on em, I assumed they were checking boat licenses, never stopped at any of the boats that were on the lake. Your tax dollars at "work"?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2004, 10:17 AM »
LBD,
That's good to hear. The wardens tend to get spread a lilttle thin. It's too bad. I know they are doing their best to got out and patrol.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2004, 10:51 AM »
If your legal what's the worry?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2004, 10:52 AM »
Remember, just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they are not watching you.  On more than one occasion I have seen guys loading up on walleye and once they get to shore they are met by the law.  You can see a lot with a pair of binoculars, and nothing says that they have to be in uniform.
Follow the bubbles...

Fishmon

« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2004, 12:24 PM »
Look forward to seeing them since they usually have a lot of good information on how others are doing and what fish are biting on.  As long as you are staying within limits of law, you should not have any problems.  I always offer them hot coffee or something to eat which they appreciate on nasty days like we are having now.  Also, volunteer to show them your license or your well marked tipups and pick up your trash.  They sense you are on the up and up when you do this. Remember you are paying for this so don't get all bent out of shape if you get asked to show them your license.

P.S.  Here in NY state they often patrol on ATVs which are well marked.  Most of them are really good guys with a great sense of humor.  Some of the stories they can tell you will leave you rolling around on ice.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2004, 02:28 PM »
Does anyone think that local wardens ever check this sight out to find out where everyone is fishing?  

I'm pretty sure they have better things to do. Warden "hey I'm going on icshanty.com to see who is breaking the law"................NOT.

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2004, 05:45 PM »
yeah, the men/women in green up here love to spot people with binoculars. Thats there job to keep every one honest and the fishing good for every one. I like to talk to them as they will give you fishing reports and shoot the bull with you as well.

Its just like the police, If you get pulled over for speeding whos fault is that? don't gve them any lip its your fault.

Yeah I doubt they search this site for law breakers....also I don't belive I have seen any posts about people flaunting there breaking of the law eather. If they visit Im sure its just for the info/fun of it.
Anthony

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:44 PM »
I'll second everybody elses post.  We've met the warden, and he is us.  I went to high school with one of our local wardens, and he's a great guy.  If you don't do anything wrong, they can't come after you.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2004, 09:37 PM »
I get my fish checked all the time but never my license during ice season.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2004, 05:53 AM »
Yea we have a warden that pretty cool , he dosn't even check our licence anymore just ask how the fishing is and my say something like he was on john smith lake yesterday and the big crappies were really biting. P.S. i would hate to be a warden doing deer hunting though.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

shortrod

« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2004, 01:04 PM »
I just as soon never see a Warden,All week I have a boss.All week I see cops in speedtraps.
I go fishing to get away from that crap,who the heck wants to be spied on while fishing?Kinda resembles a costabile.

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2004, 03:05 PM »
If you want to see DNR officers, you should fish in central Illinois.  We have a female officer here that is almost a legend.  She has worked this region for over 15 years.  She is the nicest person to deal with, as long as you are following the rules.  God help you if she catches you breaking them.  She told a bunch of us, while she was checking ice fishermen at a big state park that it is our responsibility to follow the laws and hers to help us.  She will stop and answer questions, explain regulations, help anybody that needs help.  Most of the people around here think she is great and a few that think the rules don't apply to them.  For some reason they don't like her.  Three years ago, some kids were shooting at ice fishermen with sling shots.  I got hit in the back of my left hand and it broke two bones.  She got a call and caught the kids before they got off of the bridge.  Maybe it was luck on her part but you should have heard the cheer that went up from the people on the ice when she pulled up.

Last year she checked my son in law while hunting and fishing on the same day.

Pop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.