Author Topic: Night Fishing  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Night Fishing
« on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:01 PM »
Night Fishing...........

I was think about getting better results with night fishing. I have heard many people talk about the fish just 'stacking up' in thier light column from an aqua-vu. I was curious about everone's thoughts on putting a piece of plexi-glass over my ice hole and and then put a line down a hole right next to it. Any ideas on that set-up?

Melbs             :'(

Offline mainefishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Night Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:11 PM »
cant fish here in maine at night (ice fishing) Not really sure why...

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:14 PM »
really? thats odd!  then again/...... some states you cant hunt on sundays and in Oregon, you can only goose hunt 3 days a week. the oddities of our game regulating agencies!!!!!

Melbs

:'(

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:19 PM »
A lot of it is tradition. As far as no night fishing is there a real reason for it? Safety maybe but probably been that way for 100 years so why change.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2004, 08:01 PM »
really? thats odd!  then again/...... some states you cant hunt on sundays and in Oregon, you can only goose hunt 3 days a week. the oddities of our game regulating agencies!!!!!

Melbs

:'(
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2004, 08:09 PM »
yeah maine again ,no hunting on  sunday , no night fishing(with the exception of a few generally undesirable species)but it sure is cold
 :'( :'(

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2004, 10:13 PM »
Melbs:

Try this question on the New York forum...those upstate NY guys spend more time on the ice at night than they do in the daytime!!!

Maybe they're just trying to get away from "the wife"  LOL

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2004, 10:26 PM »
i myself have found that the best thing for night fishing is to be on the right spot, and just plain fish..., my own experience has found that any lights spook fish, with the exception of the gentle glow of a lantern, however there are a number of fisherman who swear by extranious lighting to bring the fish in.

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2004, 11:01 AM »
I fish mainly at night for walleye. The only light i have is the lights on the tip-ups to let me know when a flag is up, and the flash light to land the fish with.

evad

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2004, 11:28 AM »
Here in WI I fish alot at night for crappies and I keep a lantern going in my shack to see with. We tried one of those lights yyou can drop in a hole[check your regs.] I think its supposed to attract minnows and such which in turn attract bigger fish,  I'm pretty sure it just attacts people to spend some money though because I cant say it made a difference. Maybe it would help under some conditions, anybody out there ever try this?     seeya  

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2004, 11:31 AM »
In NY you can only shoot crows Friday-Sunday!

CROWS!!!!!

Some states are just pathetic. NY has some of the stupidest laws you'll ever see. Well, maybe not the stupidest.

Todays Stupid Law: In Tennesee, its illegal to carry ice cream in your back pocket!  :o I

I think that a lot of these laws go back to the old days. Maybe not, just a guess ???

Zach :'(

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2004, 12:44 PM »
I agree that most laws go back to the old days and simply have not been changed or removed from law.... but are they really needed to still be there. all old unnecisary laws like those do is make things harder on people. oh well...........

Melbs      :'(

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2004, 05:29 PM »
I do alot of night fishing for smelts and cusk here in Maine and I find that using any sort of light down the hole will spook most fish, not all but most.

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2004, 03:44 PM »
In NY you can only shoot crows Friday-Sunday!

CROWS!!!!!

Some states are just pathetic. NY has some of the stupidest laws you'll ever see. Well, maybe not the stupidest.

Todays Stupid Law: In Tennesee, its illegal to carry ice cream in your back pocket!  :o I

I think that a lot of these laws go back to the old days. Maybe not, just a guess ???

Zach :'(
 I believe that the NYS law that you're refering to was a agreement between the USA and Mexico. It has to do with migratory bird regs. A small price we here in NY had to pay for the stopping of indiscrimant killing of our migratory birds.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

perchpile

« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2004, 05:42 PM »
i 2 have heard alot about night but only thing i couhgt was a cold

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2004, 08:14 PM »
Check out Saginaw bay at night if there is ice youll see fishermen out 4 mi or more  at night after the big and I mean big WALLEYES. Well even take 10' planks to cross the cracks and hope the wind dont blow offshore !
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:40 AM »
It's tough to beat a good night time crappie bite too ;D
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

neversunk

« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:31 PM »
There OUGHTA be a law against putting ice cream in your back pocket....it makes the seats at the movie theatre sticky for the next guy....... :) see...Hillary is fixing things there in NY already.....

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2004, 05:44 AM »
Actually its probably a good idea they dont allow ice fishing at night here in Maine. The other night i was coming home by the lake and witnessed a couple of snowmobiles and one was just flying down the lake. Can you imagine he comes around a corner  8) and there sits an ice shack with 5
tip-ups strung out all over. The poor guy goes out to clean his ice holes and man if that snowmobiler isnt paying attention he would go   well SPLAT
Anyway i think its just a safety issue myself.
You can actually ice fish for smelts on some lakes and for cusk on others so there is some ice fishing at night here.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2004, 06:43 AM »
yeah smeltshack remember last year, i think it was that guy got hit on his dogsled ,by a snowmobiler wasnt that after dark?

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2004, 04:47 PM »
You know actually that may have been after dark, I was living in Nebraska at that time but i did hear about it. I think that guy just got sentenced for hitting him and leaving him for dead.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2004, 11:44 PM »
I have been involved in some incredible night bites. Here in Wyoming most Walleye lakes you can fish 6 lines. If my son is with me we can have 12 lines out. ususlly 3 in the house on rattle reels. When a rattle reel goes at night it goes hard. When that has happened we will check tip-ups It's not uncommon almost every flags will fly. It's like they came through like a pack of wolves. Light does not seem to matter. I had it happen on the darkest of nights.
                                             Good Fishing
                                               BIG ICE

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2004, 07:08 AM »
I've always focused on panfish.  I'd love to get into some nighttime walleyes...  Anyone jig for them (and stay mobile) or is this done best with tip-ups and staying put and finding a logical location to set up?
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

flaggggg

« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2004, 08:18 PM »
l set my tip-ups and generally cut an extra 30 to 40 holes before 3p.m. Keep them free of ice and do my jigging from them rule of thumb l believe is "make as little noise as possible" eyes spook easily.Just my 2 cents...... :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.