Author Topic: rigging a slip bobber?  (Read 2549 times)

Offline muggs

• IceShanty Rookie
rigging a slip bobber?
« on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:16 AM »
I don't normally fish with bobbers while ice fishing (I usually just jig etc...) but I'd like to start using bobbers for gills and crappie.  Just wonder, what do you place on the line to stop the bobber at the proper depth? 

Do you use a knot, small split shot??

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
Re: rigging a slip bobber?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:26 AM »
Bobber stops or bobberstops and then a bead prior to your float, depending on float choice. 

There are many varieties of bobberstops.  The first is a small nylon string that is attached to a black tube, the second is a rubber stop which is on a small metal wire.  You should be able to find the string versions in smaller packs of 10-25, or bulk packs of 100 and the rubber ones in packs of five at your favorite outdoors stores. 

If you use IceBuster brand floats (yellow sticks of foam), you won't need a bead.  They are very useful and customizable to your fishing needs.
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:26 AM »
I typically use a bobber stop.  Preferrably the rubber ones.....if I can find 'em for the light lines I usually use for pannies....

-Munchy
Rod Woten

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:35 AM »
they also make a three hole bobberstop that made out of plastic, don't use em for ice fishing with light line.
I would also use the rubber bobberstops.

Also they make kits with all the parts needed, knots& beads.
Also use and extremely light float, fish will feel the resistence on the bigger ones.
Never used the floats mentions above, they look nice.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:45 AM »
The ice buster ones are the best I've used so far - they sell them small (perch/gills/etc) and large (walleye/etc) and can be cut to optimize their efficiency with the size of lures your using (cut them). They are also really nice because they don't freeze up like a standard slip bobber - the line and the slip which the line goes through is all kept under water so they don't freeze when they're in the water. When using bobbers for ice fishing this is the only kind i use.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:52 AM »
Thil (sp?) makes a very nice slip float. It is an ultrlight quill type of float maybe an inch long. It has a rubber sleeve that fits over the bottom end with a very small swivel inside of the sleeve with just one end of the swivel sticking out to run your line through. Using a rubber or string type of bobber stop works great. Only problem I don't like about using bobbers/bobber stops is, that sometimes the line tends to hang on them when coming off of the reel. No big deal really but, if you have light line and have a decent sized fish on and enough line is reeled on so that the bobber stop is under a couple of turns of the line on the reel and the fish makes a run, there is the possibility that the line may hang and cost you a fish and a rig if the line breaks  :'(
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2007, 12:27 PM »
Two Words...

Icebuster Bobber.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2007, 07:46 PM »
I got some bobber stops this year that are shaped like an elongated egg made of plastic. You lay your line through the enter of the egg and snap the two sides together and that is all there is to it. That should be better than trying to work with a knot on a cold day.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2007, 08:19 PM »
I like the Ice Busters with a bobber stop as mentioned the stop is in the water below the float and because they clip on and off in a second if you want to jig instead.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2007, 08:48 PM »
The only thing I'm going to say is spring bobbers all the way and get rid of the slip bobbers for ice fishing.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2007, 02:17 PM »
The only thing I'm going to say is spring bobbers all the way and get rid of the slip bobbers for ice fishing.

what about deadsticking a second rod with some kind of slip bobber to pick up the more passive fish?
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.