Author Topic: 8X8 pop up shanty: Can you really use them?  (Read 4485 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
8X8 pop up shanty: Can you really use them?
« on: May 02, 2020, 07:33 PM »
I am looking at a larger hub shanty. I would like to get my dad out next year, and if he gets down in my Frabill Recon, he might never get back up. I am considering an 8X8 pop up, but I worry that if it is at all windy, I might have trouble anchoring it to the ice. Anyone used one? Is it a good option?

:tipup:

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 8X8 pop up shanty: Can you really use them?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 09:43 PM »
just put anchors in before setup and leave em in until you've tore it down.  they aren't great in severe wind but neither are flipovers.  try to position it so a corner points in to the wind and get the old man out on the ice.  good luck!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 08:09 AM »
Eskimo ice anchors are the best in the business ...EZPZ to get in the ice even faster with a tool and cordless drill ...just install two anchors on the windward style prior to popping up your tent as stated above. Another point you may want to consider is getting an insulated version ...a lil more weight but noticeably warmer..most days you wont need to drag a heater or maybe never in your neck of the woods . My hub recommendation would be the Eskimo 949i ..or the Otter hubs ..Otter has a unique tie down system on its corners for added stability in wind and a heater hose access port they also have built in rod holder near its pocket storage. Eskimo also makes a nice tie down kit accessory pack with anchors and straps (as opposed to cord) if you choose another brand . Both Eskimo and Otter have anchoring grommets in their skirts for those glare ice and windy days situation which is very nice. My 949i came with 8 anchors and two straps (this may be standard on all Eskimos need to check the description) . Good luck with your choice and purchase.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jiffy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 09:20 AM »
Consider the Eskimo 450i with the full door.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2020, 02:09 PM »
It can be done. My Clam Big Foot XL4000T is huge, I think it's at least 8x8, maybe even 9x9. Very big anyway. I've been able to set it up in 50 mph straight line winds by myself but that is for experts only!! I start by driving an ice climbing anchor (not an Eskimo or Clam ice screw, but an actual climbing screw) on the windward side. Then I put a 1500lb cam strap on that and hook it to the shanty on a hub side with no door. Before I pop the side hubs out I make sure I have my drill driver and some of the ice screws (this time the ones that come with the shanty) in my hand. Then I pop the hubs and without letting go of the shanty I go inside and anchor the inside, windward hub corners with the ice screws. At this point you should be able to relax for a split second before setting the other 3 outside hubs with ice climbing screws and cam straps.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2020, 06:27 AM »
In the wind, it's actually better to have the one side more so towards the direction of the wind.  The corner or the hub shelter is actually the most flat side of the hub shelter and the wall acts more like a parachute catching the full wind.  With the side more so, one will actually have the hub tie down strap that will be the best measure to the direct wind.  Don't want it direct flat to the wind, since the bottom part will catch the wind the the skirt will flip up and allow wind to sneak up underneath on the floor.  Most important of all is having the door opening on the back side and use just that one door only.

If driving a vehicle onto the ice, most definitely use that vehicle as a wind shield.  Makes a whole lot of difference.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2020, 07:00 AM »
I am looking at a larger hub shanty. I would like to get my dad out next year, and if he gets down in my Frabill Recon, he might never get back up. I am considering an 8X8 pop up, but I worry that if it is at all windy, I might have trouble anchoring it to the ice. Anyone used one? Is it a good option?

:tipup:

Whatever is also possible in setting it up alone, I much prefer to set mine up with a friend when it is windy.

Possible if I am alone, but scary and unfun.
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.