Author Topic: Staying in a portable overnight  (Read 31779 times)

Offline bigbigfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Staying in a portable overnight
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:22 PM »
Howdy folks. I like to fish many different lakes throughout maine.  Id like to venture futhur away from the house.  However lodging is usully a pain since the lakes I wanna hit are way out there.  I have a eskimo 4 man portable and a little buddy heater.  Has anyone ever used thisd combo for an overnight.  I know id have to figure out a floor and use a cot to stay up off the ice, but I worry about the propane fumes......the shack has windows that can be open to vent the fumes but i dont know if its enough.  Im looking for thoughts or ideas
Never caught a fish I didnt like

Offline theonethatgotawaywashuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time heals all things..except these crazy eyes
Re: Staying in a portable overnight
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:30 PM »
screw running the heater while you sleep, just bring a whole bunch of blankets and warm your boots up in the morning with the heater?
were all in this together

LIVE ACTION!

All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Offline bigbigfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:40 PM »
Maybe a carbon monoxide alarm?  lol  and I gotta keep the heater on as I will have my boy with me on a few of these outtings.  Gotta keep him warm and happy

Offline theonethatgotawaywashuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time heals all things..except these crazy eyes
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:46 PM »
oh yeah i hear ya, have you thought about maybe buying a very small woodstove with legs? im sure it wouldnt be too hard to rig up an exhaust pipe through the portable. my portable is pretty much all tarp and nylon and i know i could hook up a woodstove safely in that. just trying to help
were all in this together

LIVE ACTION!

All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Offline bigbigfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:57 PM »
I thought about the woodstove idea, but i believe that setting up the tin and all that would be a pain and the shack would still probly melt lol.  Im thinking about maybe busting out a marine battery and bringing a ceramic heater for the overnight.  Lots of stuff to bring but I have a great sled and a good tote sled.  lots of work for a little adventure! lol  and I appreciate the help!

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:00 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind when sleeping in a portable is the wind! Ive heard some stories of heavy winds taking some guys for a ride in the middle of the night! :o I realize you mentioned your shack doesnt have a floor, but still something to keep in mind when sleeping out on the ice. Check your forecast  ;)

Offline scambadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:14 PM »
i just bought the Eskimo Fatfish 9416 (8 man) and i plan on sleeping out there on quite a few overnights starting next weekend. I too have the same heating source Big Buddy Heater, used it the other day and there will be no problems if you have vents like mine one on each side, along with cracking a window. im also looking at rubber matting from Tractor Supply for my floor.Love my Fatfish and cant wait to beat the rush the night before starting next weekend (Horne Pond Derby) then< OH YEAH > Sabattus Derby--- Good luck and if you want to fish a pond or two give me a shout, SEE ya

Offline Troys947

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bigger is better!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:40 AM »
I have the Mr. Buddy Heater, a little bigger than yours, and have slept in a tent all night with it going, with no issues from fumes or carbon monoxide. The heater is supposed to be safe for indoor use. We have also used it in our Clam shelter for full days and still no issues. I think you would be fine!

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:43 AM »
Check out the Alaska board there is a guy on there that claims he spent 3 weeks on the ice in a portable and talks about the tricks to survive 

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:54 AM »
i just bought the Eskimo Fatfish 9416 (8 man) and i plan on sleeping out there on quite a few overnights starting next weekend. I too have the same heating source Big Buddy Heater, used it the other day and there will be no problems if you have vents like mine one on each side, along with cracking a window. im also looking at rubber matting from Tractor Supply for my floor.Love my Fatfish and cant wait to beat the rush the night before starting next weekend (Horne Pond Derby) then< OH YEAH > Sabattus Derby--- Good luck and if you want to fish a pond or two give me a shout, SEE ya

I went to the Tractor Supply store in Oxford yesterday to get matting and they didn't have any :-\  I too have a NEW 949 Eskimo Fatfish, and wanted something to
throw down for a floor.
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:14 AM »
wally world has cheap rolled up carpet. i have a 6x8 under my reloading bench. seems like that could work....

Offline hap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:54 AM »
I believe the new buddy and big buddy heaters have carbon monoxide safeties built in. That's why I got the new Big Buddy.

Offline scambadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:21 AM »
Yup Yup

Offline scambadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:22 AM »
Ill stay warm as long as my buddy MSG is beside me, AHHHHH YAAAAAAA

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:29 AM »
As long as you can keep it 40-45 inside all night and have a good sleeping bag, it should not be an issue.  If you have a cot, no need for a floor really either. 

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:29 AM »
I've spent several nights out in my hub with only a buddy heater.  The buddy heaters have a low oxygen shut off, but the hubs are far from air tight, so I never worried anyway.  The worst part is the condensation.

I just slept in a camp chair.

Offline Aucoin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:56 AM »
Be sure you have enough reflectors on your portable. I have had a few close calls with sleds ripping by in the middle of the night.

Offline team touge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:59 AM »
condensation is the killer i think. not sure how to stop it either. i spent 5 nights at aziscahoos in the pooring rain and stayed pretty dry. one night at the sidney trapping show and was soaked like you slept in the rain all night??????????? ???

Offline whatflag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2012, 02:19 PM »
It makes it harder to heat up but  good ventalation is the best thing for good air and fighting condensation. Sounds fun, check back on how you make out!

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2012, 02:42 PM »
ive slept many times outside below zero, either on an open porch or on a ground pad on the ice, no shelter. just a zero degree bag and a blue tarp laid over and under on the open lake. i would probably skip the heater and keep the down wind door half open. i would also want it lit up, either last year or the year before someone ran over a shelter with a truck at night for giggles, probably drunk, i think i read it on the maine forum

Offline fishinforthings

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:55 PM »
I did it a few years ago during fish for a cure. stayed up all night catching saltwater smelts for bait. we killed a 30 and slept in a two man clam with basically just a pillow. used a coleman stove to heat the shack would have been much better with some sort of bed. Air beds are real cheap at wallmart i would highly recommed one. I would also recommed having a few less beers then i had poor sleep compounded with a headache makes for a long day. :o

Offline maineute

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call it fishing, I call it catching
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:06 PM »
We have shacks that we sleep in a couple times a year and they are not air tight, air is constantly coming in and if it is windy, it is hard to keep warm. There shouldn't be any problem with the CO. With not having a floor, there has to be alot of air coming through there and changing

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:27 PM »
I've done lots of icefishing camping trips the past 8 years in northern manitoba.  I've learned a few things over the years.   The biggest one is that propane heat is the worst you can use, it puts out moisture and will make you and everything in the shack damp/wet and feeling cold.  If you want heat, wood or electric is the way to go.  We've taken a generator and ran electric heat, as we take out trucks and have room for this.  Its dry heat and keeps you warm.  That said though, the past couple years I've done it without heat of any kind, a cot to keep off the cold ice (I think a good air mattress or foam pad would work to) - and a good sleeping bag or two (I use a big rectangle -15 C rated and stuff a mummy -18 C rated inside it), and sleep in one layer of synthetic Helley Hanson underwear.  This I've found the best as I stay warm and get a good sleep, and I don't have to haul a generator, gas, heater, and cord.   With this same setup I'm way warmer without propane heat than with it, and its all because of the moisture from the propane heat.   For a floor I've used a tarp in my hub shelter 2 years ago, and last year built a wood floor for it, both work although the tarp is a little slippery, but anchor it to the ice good and it works.  Other options like carpets/matting would work.  We've also used summer style camping tents, anchored with ice screws and it works, but I find the hub shelters are better/easier to set up, etc, and they are better for anchoring down good for any wind storms you might encounter - which we often get at least one of on a week long trip - last years trip was the first year we never encountered much wind the week we were there, very odd for the big open lakes we camp on.

Offline Reelman30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:36 PM »
i have a buddy heater it has a shut off in it for safety purposes if the co get to high and i will tell you now i use mine all the time on the ice and in my tent in the fall & spring and it has never shut off on me for that reason   

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2012, 02:17 AM »
Wow were to start.  I probably spend more time camping and fishing in my Q6 than anyone alive.  I will often spend a week at a time camping and fishing in some pretty harsh conditions.  I use my shack as moose camp in the summer and useally end up living in it for a month.  In the winter I useally average about one week a month on the ice, just to give you guys a little background.  Lets start with the floor.   I built a custom plywood astro turf floor for my shack which is great now that I have a custom sled to pull it around.  Before I could only use the floor if I drove on the lake.  The floor is absolute luxury, it gets you up off the ice and you don't have to worry about the puddle.  If I am not using the floor I just use a good size indoor outdoor carpet to give a little traction once the puddle forms.  I always use a cot so the puddle is just more of an annoyance than anything.  I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about when I say puddle.  The puddle is created from your heaters and for the most part it can't be helped, but I do have some tips to delay the puddle.  The first and biggest is to get the heaters up off the ice.  I carry several milk crates and 2 small pieces of plywood that I use to make tables, put your heaters on those.  For the record I am mainly talking about the sunflower heaters and the little buddy heater.  Second is to place something like a stool or aluminum foil underneath the heater to block the heat from going down to the ice.  Like I said this will not stop the puddle but it will delay it.  I am seeing allot of concern over air quality.  Two weeks ago I was camping out at like 30-40 below and I was running 2 sunflowers on high the whole time.  I had one window open and both vents with no air quality issues.  I had to open another window while the lanterns were on.  I learned this little trick on checking the air quality by taking a lighter and holding it up in the top of the shack.  If the flame looked normal the air was good, if the flame was dancing around erratically its time to open the door.  Trust me you will know what I mean if you do it.  Lets talk condensation.  Propane heat gives off allot of moisture as well as your breath.  To control the drips I simply place an 8x10 tarp over the top of the shack making sure not to block off any vents.  What this does is it creates a dead air space allowing the ceiling to breath.  With out the tarp moisture will freeze to the outside off the ceiling causing the moisture to condense and rain all over you and your gear.  This is probably the greatest tip I can give anyone.  Having a dry ceiling is huge when your camping out for multiple days.  Another big tip is how you pack the snow around your shack.  Don't just throw snow over the skirt and call it good, you need to lift the skirt up and place snow underneath before you pack it on top.  If you don't do this I guarantee your skirt will freeze to the ice.  I have some pretty gnarly holes in my skirt from were I had to chip it out with a hatchet.  Also you need to block up the corners and anchors to keep them from freezing in.  Trust me it only takes one night for everything to freeze in, when in doubt block it up.  Always guy off your shack 100%.  The wind can come out of nowhere and theres nothing worse than being woken up at 2am to your shack callapsing around you.  I know from experience.  Always zip your zippers up.  If you leave your zippers down there is a good possibility of waking up in the morning and finding yourself trapped inside your shack cause your zippers are froze.  Not a good thing when you really have to pee.  These are just a few of the major tips I've learned over the years.  I have a whole bunch of other little tips but I'm getting a little long.  Just to be clear I'm useally out in conditions far worse than anything you will find in the lower 48.  I rely on my gear to keep my alive so I know it works.  I always carry a spare everything because when your 20 miles from the truck and a 3 hour drive from civilization and its 40 below a broken heater could be life threatening.  I hope this helps you guys maximise the potential of your popups. O one more thing DO NOT EAT THE SHANTY ICE it will make you sick. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Wow, a lot of great tips in here

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:35 PM »
wow thats pretty cool... i couldnt imagine staying in a portable for more than one night max

Offline FinsFursAndFeathers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2012, 03:34 PM »
converted my BP2 Thermal Flipover into a Insulated tent!! 55x72 3" high density foam and a piece of plywood with a piano hinge in the middle. ill see if i can post a pic. have spent many nights on the ice in comfort. as for heat the buddy heater works but to get heat all night we use 2 coleman sport cat heaters. I cut a hole about 6" to 8" into the ice but not all the way through and put the heaters down in the holes. keeps them further from the bottom of the plywood.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:53 PM »
I went to the Tractor Supply store in Oxford yesterday to get matting and they didn't have any :-\  I too have a NEW 949 Eskimo Fatfish, and wanted something to
throw down for a floor.

Walmart has a foam workout puzzlemat made by Gold's Gym. Nice closed cell foam.4x6 for $19.99
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:41 PM »
What kind of tarp do you folks use to put over the hubs?  The cheap blue tarps? or something a that is not plastic--more like a canvas etc?
MD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.