Author Topic: Why the sheep are dying.  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Why the sheep are dying.
« on: Mar 07, 2008, 04:38 AM »
I read a story about a Maine farmer who's sheep were dying when they heard a wolf howl. Not attacked by the wolf. They were just so domesticated that they would drop dead from fear. The farmer moved to Alaska. He had asked himself that if domestication was doing this to the sheep, what was it doing to him?
Now every time I go ice fishing I remember this. He did't need to move to Alaska. He just needed to confront the wolf. I think of all the people I know who let the television weather station tell them whether to go outside or not. The TV says "stay inside, its gonna be a cold, sleeting rain day" or "its gonna snow today" and they rush to the store to stock up with several years of food.
Now when someone says "you're not going out fishing in this weather are you" or "you're crazy", I smile. I know its only the sheep talking. I would like to tell them, but they won't understand. But if I did say something it might be "You should get out in that rain and fish. Maybe the next time you get a flat tire, you won't call Triple A, and wait for them to fix it."
Toughen up and go fish on bad days (my favorite). Be ready for the wolf.               

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Why the sheep are dying.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:07 AM »
amen, brother.

my $.02 on weather reports-

they think we'll get 4" snow.
outside chance of 6".
they "predict" "up to 9".
we end up with 2"

gotta sell gas, bread and milk...canned goods...

HOOOWWWWLLLLLLLL !!!!

grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline gcrossman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:50 AM »
I agree totally.  Trying to get the GF to go out is like pulling teeth w/o novacane.
She would rather stay couped up inside instead of going out! After the AM coffee I am ready to go, snow sleet, water, rain...

Offline Slay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you can't hunt---Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:19 AM »
It applies to everything in life.  Fair weather folk are just talk.  You can tell real sportsmen and sportswomen by listening to thier stories.  Some of the finest moments occur when they ventured out when others sat on the couch and watched the history channel.   ;D

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:53 AM »
Hey the way I look at it is there will be less people in my spot.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2008, 08:51 AM »
Boy that guy just wasn't thinking. Alaska is the last place you want to go to if you're trying to hide from a wolf. That's the first place they're going to look!  :blink:

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline ahester14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2008, 09:05 AM »
When conditions are the worst for you,  its probably a good time to go fishin

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2008, 09:10 AM »
It applies to everything in life.  Fair weather folk are just talk.    ;D

And another "AMEN" from me.

Well stated!
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2008, 09:21 AM »
Good proverb....Amen!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2008, 09:23 AM »
I like it. I like it a lot! 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2008, 09:45 AM »
When I read the title I thought "GReat, Now what are we gonna do on the weekends here in Montana?"  but after reading I have to salute you, Grumpyoldman, Hardwater Sage.  Such a fine metaphor pointing to society's ever softening backsides.  Well done.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2008, 10:40 AM »
well put! my best days are in bad weather! that's what rain gear is for! ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2008, 10:57 AM »
When I read the title I thought "GReat, Now what are we gonna do on the weekends here in Montana?"  but after reading I have to salute you, Grumpyoldman, Hardwater Sage.  Such a fine metaphor pointing to society's ever softening backsides.  Well done.

We need to get you a pair of velcro mittens.   :laugh:

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2008, 11:36 AM »
....Now when someone says "you're not going out fishing in this weather are you" or "you're crazy", I smile. I know its only the sheep talking. I would like to tell them, but they won't understand. But if I did say something it might be "You should get out in that rain and fish. Maybe the next time you get a flat tire, you won't call Triple A, and wait for them to fix it."
Toughen up and go fish on bad days (my favorite). Be ready for the wolf.               

If I plan on going fising in wet weather, and anyony gives me that typical "Are you going to fish in this weather?" line, I look them straight in the eyes and say" Yes, 'cause the fish don't care if it's raining, and they're wet already." I'll also add "You get to a point where you can't get any wetter!"
I figure fishing during "inclimate" weather has it's benefits.
1) there are fewer people around (fair weather fishermen / women)
2) the air is cleaner, and it's totaly relaxing! (to me, at least)
3) there are fewer people around. (worth a 2nd entry)

A good day fishing means going home tired and stinking of fish, not bait.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2008, 11:39 AM »
gimme a rod, some bait, maybe some munchies, and leave me at the lake. don't worry, i'll be fine. in fact i'll be great!

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2008, 12:37 PM »
30+ mpr winds and lightning are the only things that keep me inside(just for a few hours anyhow) I can hunt or fish through the rest.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline TheOldMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2008, 12:47 PM »
"Why are the sheep dying"

Aliens!

TOM

Offline icenewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2008, 02:01 PM »
HAHA! If I hadn't looked to see where everyone who posted was from, I would have guessed Indiana. These weather people here are so bogus! They say, " It's going to be a FRIGID  night here". The predicted low, 15 above zero. Good Grief, that's not cold! Or they'll say the " The roads are impassable!" And I look outside, and we've had 2 " of snow. There had better be 2  FEET of snow before my 4 wheel drive truck could get through! They sow the seed of panic nearly every night around here just so they have something to talk about. And it has created a bunch of wienies here. People around Indiana need to put some warm clothes and boots on, and get out and enjoy the great outdoors. I know I'm preaching to the choir to the folks on this site, snow and ice don't scare us!!!

Offline old geezer from here

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:01 PM »
to heck with the weather forcasters- ???--just remember ,the last ACCURATE weater forcast was when God told noah to expect at lot of precriptation :angel just go fishing :icefish: :icefish:
Dang-it....missed another

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2008, 02:16 PM »
Look at the morning talk show weather reports. Floods, drought, blizzards, heat waves, etc, etc every day. Then I look outside and realize we're not all going to die today. They hype the worst for everyone and there must be more than a few that get worked up day after day. Probably the same ones who think their survivor shows are real. Ice fishermen can be the real survivors out there compared to that if only for a day.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2008, 02:29 PM »
I did not see any sheep this AM.
 Hiked in three miles fished for two hours and hiked back out in the heavy rain just as my undies were startin to get wet (thats when we know its time to go home)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2008, 04:16 PM »
We need to get you a pair of velcro mittens.   :laugh:
Chaps too. ;D

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2008, 09:01 AM »
Hey we agree on something Grumpy!! Cheeks out 8)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2008, 10:35 AM »
Weather man screwed me just yesterday, friday night i was askin all my buddies if any of them wanted to go fishin saturday...got teh same answer from everyone "its gonna freezing rain with high winds" so i ended up saying the hell with it and sleeping in. Well got up and there was 0 wind not so much as a snow flake and it was +3C and it was to late in the day to bother going anywheres
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2008, 11:15 AM »
Well put...Its so true...I always fish in Blizzards or storms....I dont let any wheather scare me ;D

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2008, 11:28 AM »
and i bet you guys been in 144+km winds..............sur e, ill tell you what im no fair weather outdoorsman but ill let you know if the wind starts to get bad im gone..... after a nice little adventure to northern canada it will teach you once you go 1 mile down a res and have to walk your stuff back :D
needless to say ive seen it just as bad on Oneida
matter a fact you couldnt see 15 ft in front of you the whole time,you brave ones can have it when it gets like this i know of a couple places i would rather be :D
fair weather NO smarter than the average bear ...maybe

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2008, 09:53 PM »
My  biggest striper, my biggest largemouth, and my biggest brown trout (20lbs) all on rainy, crummy days ... ( am i seeing a trend there?)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.