Author Topic: Vexilar Edge LCD units, what do you think?  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Vexilar Edge LCD units, what do you think?
« on: Jun 23, 2006, 05:14 PM »
I am looking for some input on the Vexilar LCD, and color TFT units. They look like a god send for finding my bottom hugging walleyes on Mille Lacs, but I hate to dump money into things without a few educated opinions. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Vexilar Edge LCD units, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2006, 01:24 PM »
Has anyone even seen one?

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2006, 09:08 PM »
Skip,

I've never seen them, or even heard of them.  Never realized that Vex made anything but flashers.  Are you looking at them for hard water or soft water?  If you're looking at them for soft water, and already own a FL-8 or FL-18, just get a hull transducer and make the flasher pull double duty.  I'm doing it for the first time this year, and love my FL-18 on the open water just as much as I do on the frozen stuff.  If you're looking at it for ice fishing, you're better off with a flasher IMHO.

kc17

"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2006, 05:44 PM »
I have an FL-8SE Ultra Pack for Ice, but Vex makes a dual transducer-split screen TFT color graph for open water. I saw Al Lindner had one on his boat on TV so I checked out their website, and sure enough, there it was.
It has a wide angle transducer on the left and a narrow on the right so you can compare the images. It is supposed to make it much easier to tell what is what down there. It looks like the real deal to me, but I have been burned before by "cant miss" sales pitches. Check out their website www.vexilar.com, they call it the "EDGE".

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2006, 05:16 PM »
I was planning on using it for open water, I will MOST DEFINITLY keep my flasher for the ice. I know what you mean about LCD screens though, my cell phone screen wont even work unless I keep it in my pocket in sub-zero.
I have a Vexilar pro shop less than a mile from me (Prince Bait and Marine), perhaps they will give me some real info on these things. I posted this on mff a while back with no replies. I figured with all of the die hard Vexilar guys on this site, someone was sure to have an Edge on their boat.  ;D

trapperdirk

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2006, 05:35 PM »
Well I have seen pics of them and with the Vexilar name I'm sure they are a solid unit . TFT and LCD are different Mac just don't ask me the why's at the moment because the old noggin with a head cold can't muster the propeller head jargon and from my knowledge of the TFT display on the x67c icemachine I personally don't believe there will be issues out in the cold because after having tested one this was nothing that gave us a problem . ;)

TD

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2006, 06:03 PM »
I have heard that vex couldn't keep up with the demand for the new color screen models. They sold out of them immediately upon release this spring......... with a $700 dollar price tag.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2006, 08:22 PM »
......... with a $700 dollar price tag.

:o
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.