Author Topic: Marcum LX-5 Review  (Read 137748 times)

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
Re: Marcum LX-5 Review
« Reply #60 on: Jan 09, 2008, 06:26 AM »
Can we get back to the review please ::) ;) ;D :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Tim Rogers

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #61 on: Jan 09, 2008, 08:50 AM »
Sorry Tim,  ;) ;D :flex:
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #62 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:06 AM »
I got a lx-5 a few weeks ago and do like it, esp. the sfl feature and how bright and crisp the display is.  The only problem I am having is fishing next to my son with my old fl8se, I can not get rid of the interference from his machine, anyone else have this problem when fishing around others?

Offline run320083

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:13 AM »
I will have a review soon. I just got one. now i just need safe ice to try it out.

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #64 on: Jan 09, 2008, 12:31 PM »
The only problem I am having is fishing next to my son with my old fl8se, I can not get rid of the interference from his machine, anyone else have this problem when fishing around others?

Never had that issue especially when I flip on the NBT, try that if your heavy into fish and need a quick fix.   Adjust your gain down and use a more horizontal presentation this will also help... You can still fish wide beam and experiment with different settings.  Try one IR off and one on and so on.  I have never been able to not fish a LX-5 because of interference.  You can virtually eliminate 90% to all in most situations.  Transducer placement below the bottom of the ice is critical.  Good luck...
Tim Rogers

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #65 on: Jan 09, 2008, 08:25 PM »
Never had that issue especially when I flip on the NBT, try that if your heavy into fish and need a quick fix.   Adjust your gain down and use a more horizontal presentation this will also help... You can still fish wide beam and experiment with different settings.  Try one IR off and one on and so on.  I have never been able to not fish a LX-5 because of interference.  You can virtually eliminate 90% to all in most situations.  Transducer placement below the bottom of the ice is critical.  Good luck...
I have tried that and it does knock it down a bit but I still get that circling flash that just drives me nuts. What do you mean by placement?  I have mine down to the bottom of the hole so as to get a reading from the top (bottom of the ice) down .

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #66 on: Jan 10, 2008, 06:29 AM »
Are you guys fishing rock?
Tim Rogers

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #67 on: Jan 10, 2008, 02:31 PM »
Are you guys fishing rock?

No it's a soft bottom.

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #68 on: Jan 10, 2008, 03:15 PM »
Well normally what is your gain set on when fishing?   Did you try dropping the transducers a bit further down?  If that doesn't fair well my bet would be customer service for possible suggestions other than the one's I mentioned.  Did it do it all day even when you moved?
Tim Rogers

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #69 on: Jan 10, 2008, 04:31 PM »
Well normally what is your gain set on when fishing?   Did you try dropping the transducers a bit further down?  If that doesn't fair well my bet would be customer service for possible suggestions other than the one's I mentioned.  Did it do it all day even when you moved?

As low as I can and still see my jig.  I've tried moving the the ducer down, up, the only way to get rid of it is to move at least 30 yards away. 

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #70 on: Jan 10, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Give customer service a call Jon or Chris will be able to help you.
Tim Rogers

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #71 on: Jan 12, 2008, 01:41 PM »
Give customer service a call Jon or Chris will be able to help you.
CUSTOMER SERVICE IS GREAT !
             I received my part for my LX5 today free of charge and I noticed they pd almost 2 bucks to send it too. My own fault that I lost the part. I took it off and left it in a safe place or so I thought. My wife is is an avid cleaner and so when she found it where it wasn't supposed to be she threw it out. Nice of Marcum to understand about wives. She's an ole dinosaur I call[ Not to her face ;D}   CLEANALOTAPUS !!!!

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 24, 2008, 01:55 AM »
I wont go there :)

Offline Seaweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:37 PM »
I just wanted to post that the Customer Service at Marcum came through with a charger and a nice Ball cap for my troubles.

I thought that I posted this last year but I can't find the post.  I am a very satisfied Marcum user and am I ever glad that I stuck with the LX-5... what a great tool for ice fishing.    ;D

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #74 on: Jan 26, 2008, 12:13 AM »
I recently was using my LX-5 and the power cord just came disconnected. When I put it back in it bent one of the contacts which snapped off when I tried to bend it back. First thing is, I'm annoyed that it just came unplugged without any jostling and that it's so sensitive that I put it back and bent the contact (one of two).
What can I do to solder it back on? And how expensive is it to replace the piece? I got it to work for now and I electrical taped the plug on so it doesn't fall off again. Drag.

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #75 on: Feb 01, 2008, 01:39 PM »
Sorry I missed this, check you p.m's
Tim Rogers

Offline run320083

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:45 AM »
well i have to say that i love my new lx-5. it is deff what caught me my winning perch in the last tourney i was in. I used to zoom on the suspended fish and was able to get him to bite. The more i use it the better i get at it and the more fish i have caught. I would recommend that any one thinking about getting one go for it, i could not be happier.

Offline Bondo843

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Feb 04, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Picked up mine of ebay about 2 weeks ago.  Unfortunately the weather here in Ottawa hasn't exactly been cooperating this winter.  It's either too warm (not enough ice) or like the other day, it was so freakin windy my fishtrap blew away every time I stood up to go check my tip-up.  Anyhow, I did manage to try it out last week during the freak windstorm we had and its pretty cool.  I'm going to venture out tomorrow if there's enough ice and try to jig some eyes (ice permitting, supposed to be 10 degrees celcius = 50 degrees farenheit).  I really cant compare to the competitors as this is the first unit I have ever owned.  I read internet articles and reviews for about a month before I took the plunge on it.

Offline kirkville1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:39 PM »
Marcums customer service is #1 had minor problem talked with one of their pro staffers he emailed cust. serv. were all ready for me taking care of it with bonus .All I have to say is EXCELLENT!
Thanks to all of you who helped!
Chris
Chris Jones
Team Panfish Persuaders
Navionics Ice Team

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #79 on: Feb 07, 2008, 07:54 AM »
It's nice to know when something happen's a company does step up... Jon and Chris are great!  Keep me posted, my pleasure...
Tim Rogers

Offline jtuzz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Feb 08, 2008, 07:02 AM »
Hi Tim it's Tuzzy. I love my LX-5 :thumbsup:

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:51 AM »
When I got my LX-5 last year I gave my FL-8 to my brother. On a recent trip I could mot believe how "fuzzy" the FL-8 display looked compared to the Marcum. I love the higher line definition on the new unit. I used the Vex for years and still think it is a great unit, but I would not want to go back to one after using the Marcum.

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #82 on: Feb 28, 2008, 08:33 AM »
Talked to Zig (on right) at the nationals this year, he fishes the NAIFC Tourney trail with his partner Jack (Team Poland/Salmo) Congratulations on your win in NY guys... MarCum hits the podium again!

Tim Rogers

Offline comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Nov 21, 2008, 01:41 AM »
Just bought the LX-5 from a promotion Cabela's offered.  I had the FL-8 and gave it to my Dad. Hope I like it.  The FL-8 was a good unit for me.  All the feature on the Marcum intimidate me a little.  I really wanted the split screen and the seperation feature though.

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #84 on: Nov 21, 2008, 09:09 AM »
Congrats on the new LX-5.  All I can say is your going to love it.  Enjoy your new unit.
Tim Rogers

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #85 on: Nov 22, 2008, 10:32 PM »
Just to let you guys know the new 2008 LX-5's Mainedog and I recently received have not had the screen print on the box cover updated to read 2,500 watts This glitch will be fixed.  Inside your LX-5 box you will have a user manual revision dtd  9/5/08 on page 3 it will have the new power requirements.  That's the easiest way to tell.
Tim Rogers

Offline Perchchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Nov 23, 2008, 08:13 PM »
Just to let you guys know the new 2008 LX-5's Mainedog and I recently received have not had the screen print on the box cover updated to read 2,500 watts This glitch will be fixed.  Inside your LX-5 box you will have a user manual revision dtd  9/5/08 on page 3 it will have the new power requirements. Also if your softpack has no LX-5 logo embroidered on the bottom right of your front cover it is a new 08 model. That's the easiest way to tell.

So if I just recieved a brand new LX-5 on 14 Nov 08 and have the logo on the cover that means a I recieved an older model with less power???

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #87 on: Dec 01, 2008, 09:23 PM »
In your box there should be an 8.5" x 11" manual with the Nature Vision logo in the bottom corner if it's the 2500 watt unit. If not it maybe a leftover from last season but the I highly doubt it since they were virtually sold out.
Tim Rogers

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #88 on: Dec 02, 2008, 06:53 AM »
Here's what I know the first 200 units shipped with 2,000 watts printed on the outside of the boxes and no logos on the front of the softpack also 75 more units were shipped with embroidered LX-5 on the front of the pack.   Bottomline is if you have the Nature Vision  8 x 11 manual you have the 2500 watts.  Perchchaser looks like you were one of 75 that received an embroidered one which personally looks better.
Tim Rogers

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Dec 02, 2008, 07:31 AM »
Here's what I know the first 200 units shipped with 2,000 watts printed on the outside of the boxes and no logos on the front of the softpack also 75 more units were shipped with embroidered LX-5 on the front of the pack.   Bottomline is if you have the Nature Vision  8 x 11 manual you have the 2500 watts.  Perchchaser looks like you were one of 75 that received an embroidered one which personally looks better.

I better save my box and put aside the pack!  Looks like they're going to be collector's items!

MD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.