The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Bought a Rigid Octane  (Read 3690 times)

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bought a Rigid Octane
« on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:09 AM »
It was too good of a deal to pass up so I pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a new drill.  I've got a 7 inch mora sitting around at home that I plan on pairing with it.  My question is, with about 1300lbs of torque for this drill, would you recommend the clam plate?  I saw a few horror story pics from people wrenching their arms using the M18 fuels.  I've had enough injuries in my lifetime that I think it would be worth the clam plate, especially with my girlfriend and other less experienced fisherman potentially using it.  Any insight from those that are using a drill setup?
westernmas on the finder

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bought a Rigid Octane
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:31 AM »
  I bought one last year to pair with a clam plate and a 8" mora and it would only get me 2 or 3 " before it shut down. I had to pull the battery and reconnect it a few times to drill a hole. So I returned it to Home depot for another one thinking it was a lemon but the same thing happened with the new one. It went back too for a refund. I think it has too much torque for an 8" and has some kind of shut off built in to it. I'm going to try out the Ryobi this year.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:40 AM »
  I bought one last year to pair with a clam plate and a 8" mora and it would only get me 2 or 3 " before it shut down. I had to pull the battery and reconnect it a few times to drill a hole. So I returned it to Home depot for another one thinking it was a lemon but the same thing happened with the new one. It went back too for a refund. I think it has too much torque for an 8" and has some kind of shut off built in to it. I'm going to try out the Ryobi this year.
  you bought the 1300inlb  model and it was cutting out? What size battery were you using?

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:53 AM »

yeah I've never heard of this.  Everything that I've read has said the Rigid Octane with the 9ah lithium battery is one of the best setups on the market.  That or the M18 Fuel.  I was concerned with the construction of the handle on the M18 since that is how the person really hurt their arm.  I'm leaning toward the conversion kit but don't really want to shell out anymore money.
westernmas on the finder

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:01 AM »
It was too good of a deal to pass up so I pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a new drill.  I've got a 7 inch mora sitting around at home that I plan on pairing with it.  My question is, with about 1300lbs of torque for this drill, would you recommend the clam plate?  I saw a few horror story pics from people wrenching their arms using the M18 fuels.  I've had enough injuries in my lifetime that I think it would be worth the clam plate, especially with my girlfriend and other less experienced fisherman potentially using it.  Any insight from those that are using a drill setup?
Yeah, if your misses is going to using it you better get a Clam plate in there for control. If that Mora sticks, and it will, it's going to hurt. Those drills have plenty of torque to drive

the auger but when they can't, that force is going right back up your arms. My Clam plate , however, has introduced some wobble that I don't care for, It's an ice cutting machine

but just not as pretty as I'd like.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline RickC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Just use the handle that came with the drill and don't push down too hard, let the auger do the work.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:10 PM »
Also have the same issue with the new brushless fuel..returned x4 for same issue, got x5, same issue it works but has learning curve...may try the octane

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:25 PM »

Your battery is too small.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:58 PM »
Was going to try getting a drill auger but all I hear is these problems and things not working. I think I'll just stick with gas and go.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2018, 01:47 PM »
Was going to try getting a drill auger but all I hear is these problems and things not working. I think I'll just stick with gas and go.
the good part is, your drill craps out you have hand crank for emergencies
 Gas augers dosnt start, 40lbs of wasted space in the sled. I'd have both on hand if I had a choice

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2018, 02:18 PM »
yeah I've never heard of this.  Everything that I've read has said the Rigid Octane with the 9ah lithium battery is one of the best setups on the market.  That or the M18 Fuel.  I was concerned with the construction of the handle on the M18 since that is how the person really hurt their arm.  I'm leaning toward the conversion kit but don't really want to shell out anymore money.

The octane only came out this fall, so he definitely isn't talking about that model. Probably their 725in/# one.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2018, 02:47 PM »
 Gas augers dosnt start, 40lbs of wasted space in the sled. I'd have both on hand if I had a choice

My ion isn't going anywhere.  I'll most likely leave the Ion in the truck with the battery in a warm place.  If all else fails I'll have to walk back and get the Ion or my buddy can use it for the day and drag it out.  If I can shed 10+ lbs with the drill I'm all for it and it cost me less than half of an Ion.
westernmas on the finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Mine weighs 23lbs with a full tank. Mine starts up everytime but granted its new

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Guys ... Pike King is SPOT ON! ..."battery is too small" ...  go to the 4AH or 5AH and you will be good to go.  BTW ... The Rigid Gen5X brushless is an ice eating machine ...with the 6 inch Nils.

Based on the Octane specs and notes on this message string... sounds like the OCTANE is now the top dog in torque.  Once I  cure my tennis elbow I will get the Octane and see how long it takes to do damage to my back and elbows.  I will let you know what happens.

Oh by the way ...I am thinking of pairing my Rigid Octane Reciprocating saw with my heavy weight home chisel ... that will certainly be material for a future post.

....time to battery up!

Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:44 AM »

That's funny the rigid octane drill is new this year!!  My 7 inch laser was turning just fine with the 750 inch pound rigid too so I am guessing you bought a x4 rigid or a 12 volt rigid?? As in way out of date older model last year ??

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2018, 04:27 AM »

That's funny the rigid octane drill is new this year!!  My 7 inch laser was turning just fine with the 750 inch pound rigid too so I am guessing you bought a x4 rigid or a 12 volt rigid?? As in way out of date older model last year ??

Chilly ... good catch.  Must be talking the 4X or older.   However, even a Rigid 4X with the 4ah or 5 AH battery may get the job done.   
Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2018, 04:28 AM »

Chilly ... good catch.  Must be talking the 4X or older.   However, even a Rigid 4X with the 4ah or 5 AH battery may get the job done.   
Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2018, 07:58 AM »
I started with the ridgid 525 ft in with a NiCa (or whatever) battery and it spun a 8" mora with ease for years.  Could get 20 holes thru 8" of black ice with 1 battery.  I then got the 750 ft in with 2ah batteries.  Big mistake.  2ah is useless.  Just ordered 2 9ah batteries for last years drill and will have no problem.  I am thinking about getting the 1300 ft in next year for a 10" shaving auger I have.  The plan is 525=6", 750=8", 1300=10" all with 9ah batteries.  I can promise that all of these drills will spin augers and cut thru ice.  Sharp blades and big batteries are the key.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Guys ... Pike King is SPOT ON! ..."battery is too small" ...  go to the 4AH or 5AH and you will be good to go.  BTW ... The Rigid Gen5X brushless is an ice eating machine ...with the 6 inch Nils.

Based on the Octane specs and notes on this message string... sounds like the OCTANE is now the top dog in torque.  Once I  cure my tennis elbow I will get the Octane and see how long it takes to do damage to my back and elbows.  I will let you know what happens.

Oh by the way ...I am thinking of pairing my Rigid Octane Reciprocating saw with my heavy weight home chisel ... that will certainly be material for a future post.

....time to battery up!

I ended up getting the clam plate so I don't run into any damaged wrists, back, elbow, etc.
westernmas on the finder

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:03 AM »
I think the clam plate is great but make sure you get the extension so you aren’t bent over all the time. And I got the gear reduction witch is made for running the bigger auger. I run a Milwaukee 18 volt fuel and everything works great together. My gas auger is only for back up and son in law now

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:15 AM »
I think the clam plate is great but make sure you get the extension so you aren’t bent over all the time. And I got the gear reduction witch is made for running the bigger auger. I run a Milwaukee 18 volt fuel and everything works great together. My gas auger is only for back up and son in law now

I'm pretty short so I dont think it will be an issue.  If necessary I can use the Ion extension since it pairs with the mora.
westernmas on the finder

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:52 AM »
So your right about the drill. It's the Rigid 18v brushless hammer drill with 2 4ah batteries. The problem wasn't the battery it just shut off when under load. The blades were brand new out of the box from Sweden so it wasn't working that hard. I want this set up to work so going to try another brand but not going with the Fuel because of the money. I don't have a need for the drill except for ice fishing season.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:06 PM »
So your right about the drill. It's the Rigid 18v brushless hammer drill with 2 4ah batteries. The problem wasn't the battery it just shut off when under load. The blades were brand new out of the box from Sweden so it wasn't working that hard. I want this set up to work so going to try another brand but not going with the Fuel because of the money. I don't have a need for the drill except for ice fishing season.

That's why right there 100 inch pounds per inch of drill is recommend that drill was 700 inch pounds last year and is now 750 to 780 inch pounds this year.. for the r86116 model drill.   now the octane will push a 8 no problem can even pus a 10 but use caution the octane has 1300 inch pounds  some of the older nicads drill had 825 in lbs so there are reason it might work with old ni cad models ..  I got the 780 inch pound on a 7 inch mora I converted to laser blades.   buy hand the mora cuts like a nils .   but with a goid drill there's no stopping it threw ice..   thing is with laser blade there cheaper then nils heads by about $60 retail..  cost is $40 retail for laser blades.. there is a difference in mora versus nils cutting.. just a heads up the old flat mora's cut slower and make more cuts because of pitch of blades ..  is what I am thinking was the over kill part on the drill.. but  to bad you don't want a 7 inch cause I would get that in a  7 inch mora auger and convert it to laser blades threw the adaptors on ebay .. use caution with those adaptors they need to be fixed to work!!  if any one has question on how to fix the adaptors please private message me I will help you out.   I got the 8 inch nils it cuts same as the 7 mora.  I have the 6 inch too..  it's a little faster cutting though.  The mora don't got those bars set at 45* to the head of the auger those bars on the 7 and 8 inch lasers wich cause a lock up at bottom of hole!!  this is why I pitched my 8 inch laser to my brother along with my 5 inch the five cut nice so did the 8 till bottom of hole..  just could not get crappie threw the 5 inch .. any how when you compare apple to oranges  you relize the mora auger was obsolete to the laser auger in cutting fast holes  but still makes money for them is why they still sell it.. it's like buying fishing poles a 10 dollar rod will do the same as a 190 dollar one but wich will you enjoy more?? And whats more sensitive?? Etc.. but those 10 dollar rods are still sold cause they make companies money!!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:24 PM »
Use this at work. Do any of you think this will cut through ice ;D

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Don't know never tried one of those sds rotory hammer drills for this

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:43 PM »
We blow through solid telephone poles with it so I would imagine it would turn a auger pretty well

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:54 PM »
We blow through solid telephone poles with it so I would imagine it would turn a auger pretty well

I am sure your right but I never used one lol's

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:56 PM »
6.0 battery too.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:38 AM »
My setup is not perfect to say the least.  It works but I'm not satisfied with how I've get everything rigged up.  If you don't put some down force on the auger to start the hole it walks all over the ice.  I almost cut my toe off cutting my first hole.  Once it grips the ice it rips through it like butter.  I also think it is partly due to the wobble that is present.  I know the clam plates aren't fully balanced machines and I'm pairing an Ion extension to a Mora so I'm prob adding some play at each connection as well.  I'll stick to the Ion until I can pick up a flight that has a centering point or I decide to splurge on a Nils or kdrill.  Any other suggestions before I go spending even more money?  I've yet to try it without the clam plate.
westernmas on the finder

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:30 AM »

The drill is cutting out because the battery is not strong enough.  The drill you are using has plenty of torque.  4ah batteries are not going to turn an auger with any drill for very long.  Do what you want but I'm trying to save you some $ and headache.  If you get another drill with the same size batteries, you will have the same problem.  As an example, I just got 2 9ah batteries for my ridgid drill with 756 in lbs.  This drill has plenty of torque, but with little batteries it sucked.  I'll get the new drill next year, but all I needed was bigger batteries for the drill I have.   

Do some research.  Search this forum on the topic.  It has been discussed at length many times.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.