Author Topic: New guy  (Read 827 times)

Offline wildhorsehans

• IceShanty Rookie
New guy
« on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:21 AM »
Hey all. Brand new to ice fishing but going to give it a go this year. Going to be on Massabesic  for the most part as it is close to home and I am a member of the yacht club so I can park there and have the clubhouse to go warm up in if needed. There looks to be a pretty good deep spot just out from the club mooring field. How does that produce? Hoping for trout

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New guy
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:41 AM »
Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have a good connection at the club I never fished it but I heard it can be good.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:42 AM »
Welcome to a great site, enjoy your stay!

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:51 AM »
Never fished the yacht club side of Massabesic, but I've done okay on trout elsewhere on the lake with eggs and small shiners in shallow water. Welcome to the site!

Offline wildhorsehans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:08 AM »
Thanks all for the welcome! Slowly building my gear inventory. I build rods as a hobby so I am building 4 ice rods right now. 2 24" mediums and 2 22" lights. Got 5 tip ups too. Going to be interesting. I'll always have some coffee on if ya'll see me out there.

Offline MAfisher57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:12 AM »
Welcome and good luck. Like one member said, shallows with eggs or shiners usually does the trick. Stay safe!  :tipup:

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:17 AM »
Welcome to IS :tipup:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:22 AM »
Welcome aboard.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:34 AM »
I have fished there many times as it is close to my house as well.  There is a deep hole out there off the yacht club it is a short walk.  As far as catching anything exciting???  I have never caught anything there to write home about.  Maybe you will have better luck.  If you only have a few hours to get out then Massabesic is your spot.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:13 AM »
My PB brown trout came through the ice on Massy. They are in there but it's a challenging lake to fish.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Welcome to the site -

Do a search on Massabesic on this site, there have been lots of threads and discussions regarding that lake including ice fluctuations, access locations (which you seem to have covered) and special rules like no ATVs...

You can find information on the Manchester Water Works site to (for example:  https://www.manchesternh.gov/Portals/2/Departments/water_works/Watershed_Rules.pdf )

Good luck and enjoy the sport..

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:18 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Welcome i fish massy at least a half dozen times a year (get the kids out) i have fished in front of yacht club quite often only caught 1 rainbow there in 10 years its fun for kids alot of perch and slime darts. plus if you get hungry i've had pizza delivered to the ice its pretty funny you need to tip well though.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline wildhorsehans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Welcome i fish massy at least a half dozen times a year (get the kids out) i have fished in front of yacht club quite often only caught 1 rainbow there in 10 years its fun for kids alot of perch and slime darts. plus if you get hungry i've had pizza delivered to the ice its pretty funny you need to tip well though.

Sounds like a good time!  Gonna give it a go this year and see what fun we can have.  As I mentioned, If you smell coffee brewing, I'm there. Stop by for a cup!!

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:51 PM »
Welcome to the show! As others have said massy can be tough to produce trout given that the lake has a lot of feed in it already but there can be some good size fish coming out of there.. in the summer I’ve caught some really nice smallmouth as well. Tight lines!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.