Author Topic: GPS Units  (Read 3383 times)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: GPS Units
« Reply #30 on: Dec 13, 2018, 05:50 PM »
I’ll tell you guys something  , Trapp likes to ruffle some feathers  relax He’s harmless , but trust me he’s a very good fisherman

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2018, 07:44 PM »
Freddie .....fish on   :roflmao:

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2018, 06:31 AM »
trapper you mean fish on ,,, or FISH ON!!! ;D ;D
youngster

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:14 AM »
I may have exaggerated a little stating that a compass was useless in a snow storm or fog.  The compass will get you in the general direction, but even a cheap GPS will put you within 50 feet, probable less of where you want to go.  I will put my cheap GPS up against a map and compass any day.  Lots of ship wrecks have happen in foggy weather in the old day.  Now they use GPS and we have few of them.

I will take you to a place in the Adirondacks where there is a vein of iron ore in the ground you will find your compass useless and my cheap GPS will work just fine.  I know the area with the iron ore quite well from my days as a boy scout trying to do map and compass when our compasses would point everywhere but magnetic north. Nobody completed the map a compass rout that day.

Like every tool a GPS, compass and other navigation devices has its prows and cons.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Dec 14, 2018, 10:07 AM »
fishing and I can take you were the cover is so dense you can't get a gps signal ..... every  ship wreck that happens  now  has a GPS  on board  in fact we had a fatal in Oswego   foggy they punched in  where the launched  headed in  forgot there  was a  wall and hit it ..... a compass and map  get YOU  to a exact spot I'd guess no because you sound like you don't know how to use them  can I get to a exact spot  ,seriously yes I can....I been hunting the  adirondackes  for  decades before  gps I learned how when I was a kid ,to me it's second nature .and  always  found  exactly  where I wanted to be....same is  true on the water if I have a map and compass I can find it and it doesn't take  any longer then  finding north   setting the compass  and map and your on your way ....... now  for some reason  people are  fighting over which is better   neither your  right both have  pros and  cons  I merely am stating   THIS IS HOW I DO IT!  and that was  what  was originally said  how  do you  do it and  what unit do you use ...... I use a compass and a map  I do not get close  ...I get  exactly where I want to go .....

ps I have  heard many people  say   they came upon places a  compass didn't  work  in the outdoors I personally never seen  it  .... buildings yes  in the  woods or water no  but if it  did  it would  be a very short distance .....

I'm serious  i'll show you how to  use one the right way  hell you can google it and learn  faster then  fighting with me and  have a better chance of winning ..... the  DEC tells you carry a compass the  Sierra Club recommends  a  compass  and even has  workshops to learn how .... you need to know how to plot a course  with a  map  and compass to  get a  captians or  guide license  I believe  ......

it's simple  it's cheap and it's easy ..... and   if you learned how it is  exact

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2018, 10:48 AM »
I don't know and never met trapper2000 but my money goes on him and his compass over any gps device. I would hunt all the time with my father as a kid, im now in my 40's, He was special forces in nam, he would use his compass all the time. The compass never failed him. Now myself I will use a gps, not everyone has that skill.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:22 AM »
fishing and I can take you were the cover is so dense you can't get a gps signal .....

I have a GPS that I use for various purposes incl bushwhacking style hiking and I find that ironic or maybe a bit 'perverse"! When would a person likely need a a GPS-----er, maybe when he is 'lost' in the woods..........duh!  I must admit, though, that my newish Garmin is much better than my older Magellan----newer technology, I guess. I take a compass for backup whenever I think I might need it.  Different strokes for different folks and so on and so on and scooby dooby doo!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:37 AM »
I have to agree with Fishin_mission. I grew up hunting in the mountains of Benson NY. Dad taught all his boys how to use a compass and I'm glad he did. However, he also showed us what a mountain side full of iron ore will do to your compass. If you didn't know what was wrong you could walk for a week to travel 2 miles.  I now use a Garmin faithfully but that is because you can store all of your favorite locations as waypoints as well as making your own routs. Still like a compass I just think new technology cannot be denied as long as you carry spare batteries.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Also must add that your GPS will take you right back to yesterday's hot hole even with fresh snow hiding it. Try that with a compass.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #39 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:59 AM »
LOL - compass and map = dead reckoning.  They will get you there and back and are the most reliable.  Electronics (GPS) are subject to more failures.  Learned to fly quite few years back, from a 90 year old instructor.  Always said "tose fancy electronics are very good, but when they fail; you need to know how to get back, or to where you want to go.  Compass and Map!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Dec 14, 2018, 03:07 PM »
Also must add that your GPS will take you right back to yesterday's hot hole even with fresh snow hiding it. Try that with a compass.

I do  ;D

and  I never said not to use a gps  I'm going to have Freddie show me a few things ,unlike a few I'm never afraid to learn more ....

I see everyone mentions they learned to use a compass but never mention the map  .....without the map it just tells you were north is ......

with a map and the  know how  you can  find the coordinates .....that's how ships sailed, planes where flew,  bombs were dropped

it really works

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 14, 2018, 03:47 PM »
I thought i knew how to use a compass fairly well but I don't know how you would find co-ords with a map and compass.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 14, 2018, 04:04 PM »
Trap I am sure you can find a location where my GPS does not work. just like my ore vein with a compass.  Yes you can run into to things is a boat/ship if you are not familiar with the area.  Over confidence with any system is what gets you into trouble. 

I had used a compass in year past to try to get from one point to another in fog and heavy snow, but I found the GPS would put me right where I wanted to go in very difficult weather conditions.  I could only get close with a compass not right where I wanted to be.

I am guessing your about the same age as I am, 60-65.  I wish you success with learning how to use your GPS.  I think you will like it in the long run.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2018, 05:00 PM »
I thought i knew how to use a compass fairly well but I don't know how you would find co-ords with a map and compass.

not being mean  do you honestly know what coordinates are?   what about latitude and longitude are ?  they are the same exact  coordinates   on the map and compass as on your gps

my God I like you guys you make me feel like Einstein.........well except for fishforpike he knows  exactly what I'm talking about

Offline Bacardi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 14, 2018, 05:34 PM »
Gps and compass ha ha amateurs. I use a Iceland spar

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2018, 06:57 PM »
another  gps con if ya all used map and compass we wouldn't be  moved to  the electronic basement

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Dec 14, 2018, 06:59 PM »
Gps and compass ha ha amateurs. I use a Iceland spar

and I wonder how the Vikings used it 

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 15, 2018, 12:03 PM »
It has been speculated that the sunstone (Old Norse: sólarsteinn, a different mineral from the gem-quality sunstone) mentioned in medieval Icelandic texts[ was Iceland spar, and that Vikings used its light-polarizing property to tell the direction of the sun on cloudy days for navigational purposes. The polarization of sunlight in the Arctic can be detected,[ and the direction of the sun identified to within a few degrees in both cloudy and twilight conditions using the sunstone and the naked eye. The process involves moving the stone across the visual field to reveal a yellow entoptic pattern on the fovea of the eye, probably Haidinger's brush. The recovery of an Iceland spar sunstone from the Elizabethan ship Alderney, which sank in 1592, suggests that this navigational technology may have persisted after the invention of the magnetic compass.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Dec 15, 2018, 04:03 PM »
The magnetic compass was first invented as a device for divination as early as the Chinese Han Dynasty (since about 206 BC). The compass was used in Song Dynasty China by the military for navigational orienteering by 1040–44, and was used for maritime navigation by 1111 to 1117.

so yes it was however I am sure the Vikings were un aware on the device.

I find  the Iceland spar fascinating

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #49 on: Dec 16, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Don’t have a dog in this fight. Just bought the Helix ice 5 G2/gps combo. I have the Navionics maps from my open water sonar. I don’t think I need gps or a compass to get off the lakes I fish. So if you’re wanting a gps unit and are looking for a good sonar unit the Humminbird could be something to look into. Thing I am looking forward to is when I am on open water and find a nice location I can mark it and go back to the same spot on the ice. It’s a tool that I have so I am going to use it. If gps and phones go down I am going to be dealing with more immediate problems than getting of the lake in whiteout conditions.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:25 AM »
A Helix would definitely work for what you need. With a Helix you could use it in the boat in the summer. I have some Helixs in the boat and love the new Chirp and Mega HD on the newest unit. For ice I have a MarCum LX9 that I love. It has the camera and sonar combined. For ice I used to think that a combo unit with GPS included would be the ultimate, but I learned pretty quick that for me at least, that is a P.I.T.A. I use my cellphone with the Navionics app for locating contours and just have a little ram mount on my handlebars. I never could quite find a good way to pack a combo unit that was very good and not a problem. The Navionics app for the phone works pretty good, and I'm up here in Montana where it seems like lake contour data is kind of a last thought for the big mapping companies. Just not enough people here to be a priority I guess.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #51 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Hang on guys, just got back from four days of fishing and sausage making. This'll take a coupla minutes...

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Dec 19, 2018, 04:50 PM »
good old  jiffy pop  ;D

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #53 on: Dec 19, 2018, 05:15 PM »
Hmmm. Took longer than I thought. Carry on!  :roflmao:

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.