Author Topic: Shanty wars?  (Read 922 times)

Offline LotsToLearn

• IceShanty Rookie
Shanty wars?
« on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Lets get right into it. I need a 2 man flipover. Im in Washington, so im not sure i’ll need anything super insulated. I want one thats light enough for 1 person to handle. I also want to spend less than $300. Are there any options or suggestions?

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Shanty wars?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:37 PM »
I had a two man Frabil that I really liked but got to be too much after I turned 60 and the seats weighed a ton.  Everything is ok until there is snow on the ice and then you just can't move around as easily with a two man.  If you are just going to stay in one place a hub style would be the lightest and roomiest option.  If you are willing to build an elevated smitty sled for pulling by hand you will be able to handle the two man in most situations.  I am in WA too and would not think about going onto the lakes here with any type of tow vehicle. 

Offline LotsToLearn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:00 PM »
Yeah i agree about the no vehicles on the ice in WA thing. The first time i heard about trucks on the ice i was blown away. I’ll look into those frabills for sure.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:04 PM »
Your budget is gonna make finding one hard.

My frabill 2 man was on sale for 320. Its now 399. Only has a thermal top and jump seats. I bought it because it was the lightest out of the ones I was researching.

The shapell 2 man might be your best option. Maybe fx200?? Not sure of model.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:38 PM »
No idea as to the amount there would be, but check Craigslist. I know here in N. Michigan there is a bunch of different shanty's of all types at some pretty decent prices. Just a thought. I bought my shanty at a garage sale and it is awesome.
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Second the used market for that price. In the spring theres some
Better options, but that wont help you now.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline icetrawler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing is Surreal!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Shappell FX100 One Man Shelter
"Are you fishing or are you going fishing?" :)

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Lets get right into it. I need a 2 man flipover. Im in Washington, so im not sure i’ll need anything super insulated. I want one thats light enough for 1 person to handle. I also want to spend less than $300. Are there any options or suggestions?

to come in at your budget you will need to look for a decent used house. now if you up your budget to $500 then you could get into new uninsulated houses like a Clam Nanook .

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/shelters/nanook.html

I know you said flip over but another option would be to look at hub houses. this would help you stay closer to your budget.

this is the Clam Retreat. it is uninsulated :

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/shelters/pop-up-hub/retreat-ice.html

Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:12 PM »
Cabelas is advertising a Frabill Aegis 2000 for $259
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com