Author Topic: Ultra light, walk-in set up  (Read 907 times)

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Ultra light, walk-in set up
« on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:07 PM »
With the advent of the ultra light augers, I've been working on really dialing in a light-weight setup and thought I'd start a discussion on options.  At the core of my set up is a 6 gallon bucket with backpack straps.  In the bucket I carry my Vexilar, 1 plano 3500 box with a mix of baits in it, small live bait container, tiny sunflower heater and 1 pound propane tank.  The bucket is key because it is also my chair when I get out on the ice.  In one hand, I carry a 5 inch mora hand auger with a drill on it.  Total weight on that is something like 7 or 8 lbs.  If it is cold out, I carry a 15 lbs Clam hub house in the other hand.  What I haven't found a good solution for is how to carry a couple of rods out in a way that they are somewhat protected.  I use expensive rods and don't want them banging around at all.  Anyone found a good solution for that?  My latest idea is to take one of the St. Croix ice rod bags (they have a hard plastic insert in them to protect the rods) and bungy that to the outside of the bucket or maybe even screw it right to the bucket? 

With this set up I have found it very easy to walk long distances to lakes with no public access or to spots that are tough to reach without a 4 wheeler or snowmobile.  Anyone else do something similar?  Just always looking for ideas to simplify the setup/maximize the space.  Thanks!
Never Stop Never Stopping

Online Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ultra light, walk-in set up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:14 PM »
carry why carry anything let the sled do your work

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:43 PM »
carry why carry anything let the sled do your work

x2
I agree. Build a smitty sled, put a sled on top of it, and it will pull with minimal effort. Much less effort than carrying stuff in your arms or on your back. I have done both quite a bit and the smitty sled it by far the only way to go.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Another option is to build a UHMW pulk with multiple tie down points. the tow rope should be long enough so that if you go ass over teakettle you won't upset the apple cart. Run the rope through some 1/2" pic with clips/carabiners attached @ the end, cross them & attach @ the waist for free hands/better control of the sled.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2018, 05:24 PM »
X3 concerning a sled. If you don't want to build a smitty you can buy a small or medium Otter that can hold what you want to take.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2018, 05:40 PM »
For that amount of weight, I don't think a smitty is even necessary. Get a bucket caddy at Home Depot for the rods, plus pockets for extra tackle, pliers, Power Bait, etc. Then, get one of those kiddie sleds at Wal-Mart to haul the bucket and auger in.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2018, 05:41 PM »
I forgot about the smallest Otter. X2 on that.

Offline kyl_me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2018, 05:46 PM »
There are a few lakes I am only able to fish a few times a year that dragging a sled would be nearly impossible. My set up for those lakes is a 6 gallon bucket with a small bait bucket (if I need minnows), the vex and a half moon seat attached to the handle of the bucket with a carabiner (And an i-bolt through the bottom of the seat to secure the carabiner). This also helps when moving on the ice is to keep the bucket and seat with me. Then I have one of those black Cabela’s ice rod bags (the big one). In that goes 3 rods and a combination of 1 or 2 tip downs or tip ups, as well as jigs, bait, tools, drinks, drill, batteries, hats and gloves. There is a deceptive amount of space in those bags. I bungy the auger to the bag and wear that as a backpack. For the bucket I have a strap that came with my weed eater that has a clip on it. I clip the strap to the hadle, toss it over my shoulder so everything is being supported by body and not just my arms. Carries easy and everything I need is with me (short of a shack).

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:59 PM »
Military surplus duffel bag with two straps. Works like a backpack. I’ve stuffed a hub shelter, tipups, rod case, small tackle boxes, flasher, and camp chair in one of those things. Only thing to carry was an auger or chisel.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2018, 12:34 AM »
What about one of those olive deer drag sleed??  Stuff your shanty and auger in it along with a rod case and a folding chair.. then a back pack for your heater, propane cylinder , flasher and tackle box ?? Then spud in oppsite hand of the bait bucket..  I bought some pool noodles in summer to run rope threw the center of  to take the rope burn away from tugging the sled.. a home made harNess if you will.. the harness will keep you afloat too If you fall threw.  I got a caribener clip to the end of the pool noodle that clips to the sled harness.. but in a emergency I clip it to 50 foot of rope and use it as a emergency life throw.. to aid in the pull out of people who fell threw..

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2018, 01:24 AM »
Military surplus duffel bag with two straps. Works like a backpack. I’ve stuffed a hub shelter, tipups, rod case, small tackle boxes, flasher, and camp chair in one of those things. Only thing to carry was an auger or chisel.

this, If need be, two of them duffel bag...Boot camp style.  one duffel in front, one duffel on back. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2018, 04:03 AM »
Sleds, are pretty well useless for bushwacking.  When I think ultra light, the drill, heater and even the ultra light tent (Clam Hub II) stay home.  It's a manual auger with a bucket carried hobo style over the shoulder.  Maybe a vex and maybe a small container of minnows.  I usually just carry the rods because they have a habit of catching when you're ducking under and squeezing through trees. 

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2018, 05:51 AM »
build a smitty sled the only way to go

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2018, 06:56 AM »
If your walk-in consists of a paved road that’s plowed but closed to vehicles. No sled, toboggan, smitty or otherwise will work. I too have a six gallon back pack bucket in my arsenal for special needs. In my opinion, not as aesthetically pleasing as an Adirondack Pack Basket but my bucket pack can be sat on, that’s pleasing.
A bungee around middle of bucket and put rod handles between bucket and bungee. My 4” synthetic lazer also goes under bungee. A great cross country ski setup. If your going to say why ski and not pull a sled, I don’t want to walk through heavy knee deep snow. If you going to say why not snowshoe, I don’t want to have to walk down a hill when I can just slide. Going light and smitty just don’t go together.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2018, 09:08 AM »
don't forget about the lithium battery options we have to make the sonar lighter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.