Author Topic: Vexilar Glo Ring review  (Read 6167 times)

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Vexilar Glo Ring review
« on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Got one of these this year and had to write a quick review of it.  I have had a Lure Lightning for years and it performed well but I saw the Glo Ring and decided to pick one up.  Got it for $24 at a local ice show and it has been one of the best purchases I've made in a while for ice fishing.  The ring mounted to my Vexilar ultra pack by sliding right into one of the holders built into that case.  If you don't have the ultra pack, it comes with a mount that you can screw onto any case.  While I'm fishing, I just leave the ring on and simply dip the lure in when I need a glow.  Also doubles as a rod holder when you are hole hopping.  With my Lure Lightning, I had to reach down and hit a switch to glow and then was only glowing one side of the lure at time. The ring gives you 360 degrees of glow and really lights up the lure.  You just dangle the lure in the ring and glow it up.  No bending over, no turning the lure back and forth to glow both sides. If you need a Christmas idea for a buddy/relative, etc....I would highly recommend one of these.  I have been very impressed with it. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vexilar Glo Ring review
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:59 AM »
I'm getting one of these for Christmas. Can't wait to try it out.

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:30 PM »
The glow ring has caught my eye and after your review I think I will have to pick one up.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:11 PM »
Thanks for the review.  I just purchased one for my brother who uses a Vex.  Really excited to see how fast it works and well it works.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:20 PM »
Constantly on? Isn't that emitting dangerous ultraviolet light? Can anyone link that thread?
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:26 PM »
I like the idea. I have a UV light on my lanyard which only gets one side at a time.

Wonder if I could mod it to my Lithium Shuttle?

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Constantly on? Isn't that emitting dangerous ultraviolet light? Can anyone link that thread?

Also curious about keeping it on constantly. Not so much because of the dangerous aspect, but do you know how long the battery lasts?
Da Pack!

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:50 PM »
https://ijcustom.com
This one has an on/off switch. The owner/inventor is Josh. I believe he is an IS member, as well. I’ve been using one for 3 winters. Works great!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2018, 03:55 PM »
Thanks for the review. I picked one up at Scheels the other day and looking forward to using it.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Also curious about keeping it on constantly. Not so much because of the dangerous aspect, but do you know how long the battery lasts?

I'm running it off my Vex battery and have not noticed any battery use at all.  I think the lights are all basically built on an LED type draw. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2018, 02:09 PM »
I'm running it off my Vex battery and have not noticed any battery use at all.  I think the lights are all basically built on an LED type draw.

Good deal, thanks!
Da Pack!

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2018, 03:02 PM »
I bought one and have used it several times. Doesn't seem like it gets my jigs as bright as my LED headlamp but for ease of use is nice. I've left mine on for a couple hours and never saw my battery drop with it on.  I cut the alligator clips off mine and put spade connectors on and got an adapter that I put on the battery itself so I can put the Vexilar and the Glo Ring onto the battery. I have an older Vexilar so don't have the charging plug on it. 

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:26 AM »
the vex glo ring says it has an on/off switch on it in it's description? But it's battery draw is so low, I don't see leaving it on as being a problem. I personally can use my vexilar for days before it needs charging....

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Yeah it definitely has a switch. Most people will be running it off their Vexilar battery which will last several days if needed. It says it is 18 UV LEDs so the draw is really low. A non UV headlamp will not charge glow paint anywhere near as fast.

Offline Foxzyk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2018, 11:44 PM »
https://ijcustom.com
This one has an on/off switch. The owner/inventor is Josh. I believe he is an IS member, as well. I’ve been using one for 3 winters. Works great!
X2. Love my glo cup, and you support a local Wisco ice fisherman.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:12 AM »
I like the idea. I have a UV light on my lanyard which only gets one side at a time.

I believe they come with a flat mount with a hole you drop the post that the glow ring is mounted to so I'm sure you could get it mounted on your shuttle.

Offline northlander73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2018, 03:30 PM »
I made a couple for myself, you can build a couple for the price of a commercially made one.  Construction is pretty simple, coil some uv leds inside the cup of your choosing, add a switch and a double stack connector on your battery and you're good to go.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:35 PM »
I used mine for the first time this past Friday and really like it.

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2018, 07:42 PM »
I always just use my headlamp but that looks pretty cool.

Offline coop21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2018, 04:41 PM »

I picked one up for my vex, but would like to get another for my Marcum lithium shuttle.  Has anyone done this?  Not interested in how it was mounted but how you powered it.  Can you buy a usb plug with a pigtail to wire it into the glo ring switch?

Offline chevy343

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2018, 01:51 PM »

30 sec. in glow cup

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Bought one and seems to work pretty good, I just leave my on when fishing. It does have a little in-line switch but based on what I have read not worried about battery power.

Offline Jaggerhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2018, 08:22 AM »
Just bought one yesterday my initial thoughts are I freaking love it. I has a switch for power and it doubles as a rod holder. 3-5 sec dip in that baby and jigs glo like crazy. No way that a reg. Headlamp/light can compete with a uv light.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.