Author Topic: Downhill or X country skis for a sled?  (Read 877 times)

Offline Fr33Th1nk3r

• IceShanty Rookie
Downhill or X country skis for a sled?
« on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:44 PM »
Was wondering which is easier to pull on snow. Or are they both better than nothing? I can get the skis I just can get downhill for a lot cheaper used. Thanks
A bad day fishing beats a good day working.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Downhill or X country skis for a sled?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:58 PM »
I use downhill. Personally I think the wider downhill ski displaces more snow and sinks less. I heard that water skis work even better. Its all personal preference and one is better than none.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Fr33Th1nk3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2018, 06:45 PM »
I use downhill. Personally I think the wider downhill ski displaces more snow and sinks less. I heard that water skis work even better. Its all personal preference and one is better than none.

Right on thanks

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2018, 06:53 PM »
No problem
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:37 PM »
Definitely all mountain downhill.  More modern (parabolic) is better.  About 180 cm. 

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:59 PM »
Definitely go with the downhill.  Don't worry about the length.  When you get home, measure the space in the vehicle you will be using and cut off the tail end to the length you need. X-country skis have more camber in them and don't glide as well with the weight on them.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline Fr33Th1nk3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2018, 02:31 PM »
Definitely go with the downhill.  Don't worry about the length.  When you get home, measure the space in the vehicle you will be using and cut off the tail end to the length you need. X-country skis have more camber in them and don't glide as well with the weight on them.

Yeah that seems to make more sense, now that I have them both in front of me. Wife wanted the x country anyway lol They're so old they have metal foot attachments.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.