Author Topic: Custom rod purchase  (Read 3877 times)

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
Custom rod purchase
« on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:24 PM »
Just curious if anyone has purchased a TUCR rod?  If so any recommendations?  I’m interested in purchasing a dead stick rod and a rod with a soft tip for perch/smaller walleye.  I would also consider Haat Rods as well. Thanks!

https://tunedupcustomrods.com/product-category/ice-rods/

https://www.haatrods.com/#ice-fishing-rods

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Custom rod purchase
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2018, 03:03 PM »
 shawn, i've hymned and hawwed over a tucr for years now.  there is lots of good info on their rods on the youtube series 'in-depth outdoors'.  the price is off putting but considering there are lots of stock ice rods approaching $100 these days i don't think it's too crazy.

i tried ordering one a few years back around early december and the guy there told me it would be close to the end of the ice season before i'd receive it so i held off.  instead i bought a 24" medium jason mitchell meat stick.  it has an ultra fast neon tip for the first 4" or so then enough back bone to land a decent walleye or pike should the need arise.  for perch it's as good as i'll ever need, paired with a small pflueger president comes in less than $100 altogether.

for larger perch lures and eater walleyes i've got a 13 fishing tickle stick that also has a very light, fast tip.  they are around $60 i think and i consider money well spent.  have caught 4" perch and 25" walleye on that set up.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2018, 04:29 PM »
Saw these rods for the first time in Scheels in Montana. They had two types, one with a foam handle and one with cork. Neither had a reel seat and they cost 130$. The foam handle looked like it had been cut with a dull knife. They get a hard no from me when yu can spend a bit more and get a real, customized rod.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2018, 07:09 PM »
good point, i forgot about the lack of reel seat.  that is a big turn off.  should be an option on a "custom" rod.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2018, 11:26 PM »
Thanks guys for the input. I appreciate it. While price is always a consideration, I’m a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I guess for those kinds of dollars you could get into a St. Croix ice rod. Although, I have to admit I have been pretty happy with my Fenwick rod and I paid about 1/2 the price.  ;D

shawno

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2018, 04:19 AM »
Just curious if anyone has purchased a TUCR rod?  If so any recommendations?  I’m interested in purchasing a dead stick rod and a rod with a soft tip for perch/smaller walleye.  I would also consider Haat Rods as well. Thanks!

https://tunedupcustomrods.com/product-category/ice-rods/

https://www.haatrods.com/#ice-fishing-rods

1) I have not purchased any TUCR rods but I have looked at them...and I have nothing on the Haat rods.

2) I do have a recommendation...more of an opinion I guess.

3) And you want a rod you can dead stick as well as a soft tip for pannie fishing.

Ok...here you go...

$20 HT Ice Blue (I use the 48") + $10 Ice Strong indicator = $100 TUCR / Haat rod (+or-)

Putting these rods side-by-side it's really hard to find a difference in terms of how they will perform based on blank action and diameters, apex under strain, etc. What I will give the "custom" rods over the HT's is they are pretty... slick and shiny graphite, cobalt blue guide wraps, nice graphics and state of the art handle. I get that...it's what helps sell....with a bit of performance in mind.

But at the end of the day, I just want a rod that does what I want from it...performance... whether it's $10 or $100. And $ really is no issue with me...not boasting...just a fact. I just like the idea of having something that I sort of customized that is equal to and catching fish like the guy next to me with the higher-dollar set up. It's just satisfying for me. Not to mention I can have 3X the rods for the price of one...I have 6  ;)

So, with this set up, I have a very sensitive tip for the light pannie bites or I can by-pass the indicator and have a rod that is right for handling/dead sticking the bigger prey...like a Walleye... as the tip itself is sensitive enough to detect them with the backbone to set any lure and bring it home. However, if indicators aren't your thing, then the rod itself probably isn't good (sensitive) for the lightest bites...at least for me.

Ok, there you have it, my recommendation (opinion)... whether you like it or not.  ;D Good luck with your decision.

btw...here's what my pannie set up looks like:

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2018, 11:03 PM »
I have never seen any of the haat rods before, but, I did see some TUCR custom rods at Pokeys tackle shop in Regina last season.

They were bit too expensive for me, especially when I can find a similar rod, for alot less. :woot:

WW

gman51

« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:17 AM »
its all about the hype.... for some.

Offline Northern Piker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:24 AM »
Some might call it hype, but I now owe three of the tuned rods. Yes they are costly but they also do the job of ice fishing very, very well.
Look at G. Loomis for open water.  My two cents is WOW.  Thanks to the folks at Pokeys for bringing in quality gear.
P.B. Walleye 30.5 inch on 1/1/16

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:44 AM »
TUCR are way over priced for what you get.  TUCR is a big sponsor of In-Depth Outdoors “IDO” and I made that same statement and was kicked off their website and my post was scrubbed.  IF you look around (other than IDO since they delete any negative comments about Tune Up Crap Rods) you will see there are many unhappy people with their products.  I have never tried a Haat rod but have heard good things about them.  I have been to JT outdoors shop and they have some great dead stick options.  Another option would be to contact one of the garage builders on this site to make you something.  I do build rods myself but am too busy to fit anymore in this year.

https://jtodp.com/product-category/custom-rods/ice-rods/
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:52 AM »
@tuma - 130$ for a foam handled rod without a reel seat... I don't get it.

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:01 AM »
@tuma - 130$ for a foam handled rod without a reel seat... I don't get it.

I am not following your post missoulafish?
I can tell you I would never buy another TUCR.  The JT dead stick rods I suggested can have a reel seats on it for $110 I think.  I don’t get the hype of TUCR.  They are not that great and cost so much.  At one time I had 4 TUCR and sold them all.  Don’t buy a new TUCR if you want to try one.  They are the most used, resold rods I have seen in classifieds ads.  It seemed like one or two a week would come up just on IDO. 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Lol I'm agreeing with you. The ones I looked at had foam handles that looked like they were cut with a hack saw, had no reel seat and cost 130$. I've heard your sentiment from many, many people.

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Just got a Haat rod today and I must say it appears to be everything I was hoping for, will try it out in the next day or so

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:57 PM »
That’s great news Ken. Can’t wait to hear your review. We’re you able to source it locally or did you order off the website?  Anyone know if Pokey’s carries these or other custom brands not mentioned here?

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:43 AM »
I ordered a Thorne Bros Walleye Sweetheart a few years ago sent directly from them.  Was packaged awesome and still use it today.  :)
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:08 AM »
TUCR are way over priced for what you get.  TUCR is a big sponsor of In-Depth Outdoors “IDO” and I made that same statement and was kicked off their website and my post was scrubbed.  IF you look around (other than IDO since they delete any negative comments about Tune Up Crap Rods) you will see there are many unhappy people with their products.  I have never tried a Haat rod but have heard good things about them.  I have been to JT outdoors shop and they have some great dead stick options.  Another option would be to contact one of the garage builders on this site to make you something.  I do build rods myself but am too busy to fit anymore in this year.

https://jtodp.com/product-category/custom-rods/ice-rods/

Dang, I frequent over their also and had heard some long time guys had been booted but never knew why.  Unfortunate to hear that would happen..

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2018, 07:22 PM »
That’s great news Ken. Can’t wait to hear your review. We’re you able to source it locally or did you order off the website?  Anyone know if Pokey’s carries these or other custom brands not mentioned here?

Ordered directly from them, I have been using thorne bros rods for years now and they are hard to beat but we will see. Got a rod made by the guys in Nipawin and I will tell you it is pretty dam nice

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:09 PM »
do you have contact info for the nipawin guys ken?

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2018, 12:54 AM »
I own a Bullwhip and two Precision Noodle’s. Absolutely love them. If you want a reel seat, well, have them put a reel seat on it......

TUCR are true custom rod builders. Tell them what you want and you get it. That kind of service usually comes with a price. All of mine have been the quality I expected and they are great guys to communicate with. They even gave me info on there blanks so I could copy them for myself. I don’t know of any custom shop that will give out specs like that rather than trying to sell you something.

Most resales I’ve seen is usally buyers remorse or the wife found out you just spent several hundred dollars on 2 ice rods. I love mine. Everyone I know that uses them also loves them. If you’re interested in them, give them a try. I got mine out earlier today and put reels on them (yup, electrical tape works gangbusters). Can’t wait to kick of the season!
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Bra

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:51 AM »
I also have the precision noodle and absolutely love it if a fish thinks to hard about eating your jig you will see it

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2018, 12:10 PM »
They even gave me info on there blanks so I could copy them for myself. I don’t know of any custom shop that will give out specs like that rather than trying to sell you something.

Would you be willing to share the blank spec info with us since they were willing to just give it to you?

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2018, 10:17 PM »
do you have contact info for the nipawin guys ken?

I'll find it and get it posted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.