Author Topic: Frozen line/rod eyes  (Read 1845 times)

Offline dbdusty

• IceShanty Rookie
Frozen line/rod eyes
« on: Dec 06, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Hey guys, anyone have some good tips for keeping the ice from forming on your eyes of your rod?  Also, anyone find a brand of line that works better than the rest?  I've been using Suffix Ice Braid.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Frozen line/rod eyes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:13 PM »
I’m curious, which sufix line are you using? The 832? I was considering getting it in hopes it doesn’t do that.

Offline grobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2018, 07:09 AM »
braided line retains water and is more susceptible to freezing in colder weather. ok if in a heated shack or tent

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:13 AM »
We used to use dry fly floatant on our eyes when we were winter steelheading in BC to help stop the eyes from icing up.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:01 AM »
I just use my hand and take it off

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Since I carry it anyway, I put a light coat of chapstick on the first couple guides.

This is the Suffix ice braid I changed a couple reels to last season, I like it, but with no shelter and averaging 20 below most days I am out it tends to ice up a bit.  Above zero don't have any problem.

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Vaseline.   Wd40.  RainX.  Cooking spray.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:05 PM »
Vaseline.   Wd40.  RainX.  Cooking spray.

did you know years go the old formulation of wd40 had fish oil/substance in it and was used as a fish attractant

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2018, 06:54 PM »
Still use 1/4 can in each hole I drill!!  Not sure if it actually works but looks cool on top of the water......

Offline Blue Hog Ridr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:19 PM »
I just use my hand to strip any ice off the line.   Same thing if you have an eyelet ice up.
Don't mess with Chap Stick, Vaseline or other Lubes.  Take your glove off and strip it.   Your hand won't fall off if you take your glove off for ten seconds.   Has anyone's Dick fallen off when you pull it out to Pee on the ice.   Nope,  I didn't think so.   Its the easiest way that I have found so far.     
Fishing is good for your Mind, Body and Soul.
Actually catching a fish or two is a nice by product of a day well spent.

The next time that you don't feel like going into work, don't give your Boss any excuses (Hes heard them all), just say, "I'm going fishing, wanna come".

Offline OD0814

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:09 PM »
I just use my hand to strip any ice off the line.   Same thing if you have an eyelet ice up.
Don't mess with Chap Stick, Vaseline or other Lubes.  Take your glove off and strip it.   Your hand won't fall off if you take your glove off for ten seconds.   Has anyone's Dick fallen off when you pull it out to Pee on the ice.   Nope,  I didn't think so.   Its the easiest way that I have found so far.   

Haha, this made me laugh.  You really hammered home your point!

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Better yet, just pee directly on the line and rod eyelets. The warmth will immediately melt the ice, and any residual salt content should help to hinder further ice formation.  ;D
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Better yet, just pee directly on the line and rod eyelets. The warmth will immediately melt the ice, and any residual salt content should help to hinder further ice formation.  ;D

instructions unclear; currently being kicked out of the tackle shop.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.