The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Introductions and questions for PA fishermen  (Read 2042 times)

Offline vanlaz0r

• IceShanty Rookie
Introductions and questions for PA fishermen
« on: Nov 23, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Hey everyone!

My name is Kevin. I’m originally from Warren County, NJ but I’ve been moving back and forth over the bridge the past two years and I’m finally settling in to the Lehigh Valley at the beginning of December.

I’ve fished open water since I was a kid but last year I finally decided to give ice fishing a shot on some small ponds and lakes in New Jersey. I spent a lot of time out there figuring things out and really enjoying myself and now that temps are starting to drop I’m really excited to get back out there.

Is there anyone in or around the Lehigh Valley who’d be interested in showing a newbie around once we have safe ice? I don’t have any fishing buddies in the area and I haven’t managed to find any decent places to fish on this side of the Delaware yet.
- Kevin V

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Introductions and questions for PA fishermen
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Welcome to the site and the addiction.  I'm in the Scranton/Poconos area which is about a hour or so North of you, if you make it up this way I'd take you out but we'd have to make a plan in advance.

Offline vanlaz0r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Welcome to the site and the addiction.  I'm in the Scranton/Poconos area which is about a hour or so North of you, if you make it up this way I'd take you out but we'd have to make a plan in advance.

Thank you, Chris. I could definitely come up that way some time this season. What do you usually target?
- Kevin V

Offline chuck22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2018, 01:49 AM »
Where about a in the Lehigh valley I’m always looking for someone to go with me or meet up I don’t like going alone and work really weird schedules

Offline vanlaz0r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2018, 07:33 AM »
Where about a in the Lehigh valley I’m always looking for someone to go with me or meet up I don’t like going alone and work really weird schedules

Hey Chuck. I’ll be in Emmaus. I don’t like going by myself either, especially in unfamiliar territory. I work a normal schedule but maybe we can still figure something out.
- Kevin V

Offline lm26sk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Subie life!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Hey and welcome ;-)  I am in Kunkletown ~30mins from you , if you dont mind driving we can meet on tobyhanna or promiseland since they look to have ice first ;-)

Offline vanlaz0r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Hey and welcome ;-)  I am in Kunkletown ~30mins from you , if you dont mind driving we can meet on tobyhanna or promiseland since they look to have ice first ;-)

Hello. Definitely don’t mind driving if it means good fishing! I’m keeping an eye out for safe ice, hoping we have it by Christmas so I can get out a bunch during my time off.
- Kevin V

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:38 PM »
Great thread guys . Very nice of you helping out a new member . It's one of the best benefits of Iceshanty . Great members ! Best of luck to you all in the upcoming season .

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Hey 4x4 nice to see you are out early on da site ...is your daughter and her rabbit ready to ice fish..maybe share some laughs and stories

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:15 PM »
Absolutely Tony ! I hope to see you at the gathering on the 9th . I'll have a big dispenser of coffee and some other hot dish . Hopefully we'll get ice early and have it March . I just need to see the first brave souls that check the ice for safety and I'll be ready !

Offline vanlaz0r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2018, 09:10 AM »
Great thread guys . Very nice of you helping out a new member . It's one of the best benefits of Iceshanty . Great members ! Best of luck to you all in the upcoming season .

I agree, it seems like a really great community. I'd love to make it out to the gathering for a real introduction but it's a bit of a hike for me and that's my move-in weekend. But hopefully I will have the opportunity to meet some people once the ice is here!
- Kevin V

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2018, 11:06 AM »
You'll eventually meet more ice fishermen out your way and who they are here . That's when you guys can agree on your own local gathering . It would be really interesting to have a Central State Gathering , but most guys use their spare time on the ice or with family .

Offline lm26sk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Subie life!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:13 PM »
You'll eventually meet more ice fishermen out your way and who they are here . That's when you guys can agree on your own local gathering . It would be really interesting to have a Central State Gathering , but most guys use their spare time on the ice or with family .

I wouldnt mind meeting somewhere on ice with local members ;-)

Offline LifeofRyelee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2018, 03:51 PM »
Hey All,

Seeing Kevin's post and Chuck and Chris chiming in.  My name is Danny (But easily can go by Ryelee- the dog's name). I am in the Lehigh Valley and also like to meet up so I am not alone out there.  Places I like to hit are Mauch Chunk and Beltzville outside of Lehighton and Shohola near Milford.  When the ices comes and I am thnking of going I will give you a shout... or do the same.  Let's all think ice!  Danny

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2018, 04:20 PM »
Thank you, Chris. I could definitely come up that way some time this season. What do you usually target?

I target pan fish and occassionally I hook up with some bass.  I've been trying for Walleyes but haven't had any luck with them.

Welcome to the site Danny, glad to have you here with us.

Offline LifeofRyelee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2018, 04:31 PM »
Thanks Chris... Saw your post after mine on GHWB... Agreed.

Hope to maybe meet up sometime this winter... Would love to pull a walleye up through Duck Harbor if you ever want to try.
:)
d

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Hopefully we'll be able to meet up and get one or even better a few.  I never fished Duck Harbor so you'd be the guide there.   ;)

Offline LifeofRyelee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:42 AM »
Ha... I have only open fished DH a couple of times.  But when the season gets going we can be in touch. Talk to you soon Chris.  Danny

Offline vanlaz0r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Hey All,

Seeing Kevin's post and Chuck and Chris chiming in.  My name is Danny (But easily can go by Ryelee- the dog's name). I am in the Lehigh Valley and also like to meet up so I am not alone out there.  Places I like to hit are Mauch Chunk and Beltzville outside of Lehighton and Shohola near Milford.  When the ices comes and I am thnking of going I will give you a shout... or do the same.  Let's all think ice!  Danny

Hey Danny! Yeah, I wanted to give Mauch Chunk a try as soon as safe ice gets here, I've heard good things. I'd gladly meet you out there. My uncle in jersey texted me this weekend and told me they had an inch of ice on the local lake so fingers crossed things lock up by christmas and i can get out during my week off.
- Kevin V

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2018, 06:28 PM »
My name is Jeremy.  I am in Qtown.  I fish some of those spots as well as heading up into NY.  I am down to meet up with some folks as well, especially early ice.  I would prefer to not die chasing 10 inch crappies solo... ;D

Offline vanlaz0r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2018, 07:55 AM »
My name is Jeremy.  I am in Qtown.  I fish some of those spots as well as heading up into NY.  I am down to meet up with some folks as well, especially early ice.  I would prefer to not die chasing 10 inch crappies solo... ;D

The more the merrier! This weather is killing me though! Every time I think about pulling out my gear and prepping we get another warm spell!
- Kevin V

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2018, 03:56 PM »
There has been safe ice for about a week now in the Poconos, though that could be changing now. >:( Sometimes you have to decide it is worth is to drive a couple hours each way. I have been out twice already and live about as far South as Phila. Burned some gas, but well worth it to get out while I could. Hoping for some more cold and safe ice for all!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.