The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Plate to 7" Lazer Power Auger Adapter?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline srohang1

• IceShanty Rookie
Clam Plate to 7" Lazer Power Auger Adapter?
« on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:43 PM »
Hi all, I have seen many posts about connecting a Lazer hand auger to a clam plate with no issue.

I have a 7" lazer auger from my old 12000dp auger that I want to attach to a clam plate.  The hole on top of the auger is 0.875" (7/8") but the clam plate shaft is only 0.71".  Is there an adapter to make this more snug?  How have others done this?  Thanks in advance!

EDIT: SOLUTION IS A K-DRILL TO CLAM PLATE ADAPTER, 10737.  Great fit, snug and straight.

Offline srohang1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clam Plate to 7" Lazer Power Auger Adapter?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2018, 10:14 PM »
Looking like a k-drill adapter might work?  Can any confirm that the k-drill ID is 7/8"? 

This is the only thread I found, but it is a bit outdated.. https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=334555.0

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2018, 02:11 AM »
Would like a short piece of this used as a shim between the clam plate .71 id. And 7/8 od.. ??  If not neXT size down I will list too..

Plus minus 0 tube

http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-3437-8242-78-od-x-083-wall-dom-steel-tube.aspx

Minus 1 with a bigger Inside diameter.. with .71 id needed .744 would shim then .709 above you would need to turn and polish the id to really get it to fit.. of the one at link above.. was not sure if your capable of doing that so I listed the below piece to wich has a id. Of .744 wich after deburring should slip right on.. with very little play..

Minus 1 tube
http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-3436-8242-78-od-x-065-wall-dom-steel-tube.aspx

This is what I was thinking of doing after buying a bit..  useing like a two inch length of the above tube as a shim so the bit does not wobble..on the clam plate..  the tube listed should take up slack on the minus one tube..  the minus zero needs polishing.. so carefull there.. I think the minus 0 would be too tight..

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Chilly- I'm not sure that what you contemplate will eliminate wobble in the finished set-up. On my rig, the "play" is in the Clam shaft/bearing assembly itself, not the Clam shaft to

auger connection.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Chilly- I'm not sure that what you contemplate will eliminate wobble in the finished set-up. On my rig, the "play" is in the Clam shaft/bearing assembly itself, not the Clam shaft to

auger connection.

You do get a little wobble from the bearing like you say .. if you shim the shaft there should be very little wobble  from the bearing as if useing a regular bit... but with out a shim and the bearing wobble may shake you pretty good at start up.till you get drilling cause it will steady out..  with the shim it all should act like a lazer or a mora hand auger.. attached to the clam plate with very little wobble .. is it nessasary to shim probably not but the op was asking about this.. and is the only reason I replied so..

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2018, 08:23 PM »
Hi all, I have seen many posts about connecting a Lazer hand auger to a clam plate with no issue.

I have a 7" lazer auger from my old 12000dp auger that I want to attach to a clam plate.  The hole on top of the auger is 0.875" (7/8") but the clam plate shaft is only 0.71".  Is there an adapter to make this more snug?  How have others done this?  Thanks in advance!
.          I have a 7” lazer on a clam plate, does wobble little, but once start drilling no problems. It’s not a car tire, there will be some play in it !!

Offline srohang1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2018, 11:44 PM »
Is your lazer from a hand auger or gas/electric head?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2018, 12:31 AM »
Is your lazer from a hand auger or gas/electric head?

Are you going to try and turn a lazer bit from a power auger with a drill?

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2018, 06:23 AM »
Are you going to try and turn a lazer bit from a power auger with a drill?
That’s what the title says, surprised you didn’t see this one earlier lol. What, don’t you think the new rigid can handle it?!

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2018, 06:32 AM »
You might just get a 7" hand drill.  Lighter, cheaper blade replacements, more holes per charge?  What's the benefit of the more massive powerhead lazer?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2018, 11:43 AM »
That’s what the title says, surprised you didn’t see this one earlier lol. What, don’t you think the new rigid can handle it?!

I never tried it, but I know the auger bit on my old power auger was heavy steel. The brushless drills over 1000 in/lbs can prya turn the auger bit. However, it seems kinda unproductive yo do it. The setup would defeat the purpose of the drill setup which is light weight and mobile. A used hand auger can usually be found cheap on Craigslist.....however with the drill setups they seem to go quick.

Offline srohang1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2018, 02:34 PM »
SOLUTION IS A K-DRILL TO CLAM PLATE ADAPTER, 10737.  Great fit, snug and straight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.