Author Topic: Any custom Rod builders on here?  (Read 735 times)

Offline fishinbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
Any custom Rod builders on here?
« on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Hey gents, this cold snap has me dreaming of hitting the hard water for some lakers.  Ive built plenty of Rods, but i'm thinking of making some custom Ice Rods this year.  I guess my question is what blanks do you like for lake trout rods?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any custom Rod builders on here?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:54 PM »
Surprizing enough  is The white solid glass rod blanks from janns net craft for my heavy needs.. I use the shorter rods in the shanty and the longer 21 inch out side it if room .. but people are saying to go to sportsmens direct cause they got awesome blanks??

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:59 PM »
I had one made for me a couple of years ago by a builder on this forum whose name I regret to say I've lost. I supplied him with the top section of an old UglyStik spinning rod I wasn't using but had just the action I wanted and Tonka Tough to boot. Cut to 40". Had him build it with a casting handle for an Abu Garcia 5401-C3 levelwind. Spiral guide layout. Superb laker rod and pretty handy against Northern as well.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2018, 06:15 PM »
Check out Bass Khang( Facebook it).  I have not used it but he came out with a lake trout blank this year.  His walleye/perch blanks are top notch.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Bass Khang has some good ones and they have a web sight now, mudhole has ice rods, I'm looking at an MHX 42" blank for lakers. I've done the stripped and re-guided Ugly stick and made a spiral wrap rod that works very well. Hard to beat an ugly stick in the 48" or less, good back bone and moderate bend keeping the hook in place.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2018, 04:18 PM »
this will help....
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=348465.30

MHX has some blanks for lakers, sportsmens direct has a whoopin stick for lakers that isn't on their website (call them), bass khang, rainshadow is probably the most common one. North Fork Composites had one out last year as a teaser but I don't think it made it into full production - call them for info, seriously sounded like one of the best laker blanks ever

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.