Author Topic: Panoptix question  (Read 979 times)

Offline pyro261

• Team IceShanty Regular
Panoptix question
« on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:50 AM »
I know its relatively new technology so probably few here have used it on the ice, but does anyone know how well these work in deep water? I'm talking 100-200 feet. All the video's I've watched of it are in < 50'. There is a limit on how far out away from you it will work, does it also have the same limitations on depth?  On the fence about getting one this winter, was hoping I could find some information about them.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Panoptix question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2018, 09:09 AM »
The ps22 transducer that is part of the ice package claims to be detect fish up to 100ft, but will work to show bottom much deeper. I just got the package, and I still plan on using the standard transducer for fishing bottom out in deeper water, while using the forward/down vu to see suspended fish. Another problem with trying to extend the range, I haven’t found any sort of zoom feature with the panoptix view. so the further out you stretch the screen, the smaller the scale becomes, you wouldn’t be able to see anything but the bottom contour.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2018, 10:34 AM »
Another problem with trying to extend the range, I haven’t found any sort of zoom feature with the panoptix view.

Garmin support’s response to my question about  Panoptix zoom:
“You can press the + or - button the display to zoom in and out, if you're wanting to zoom on a certain range, you would not be able to do that.”

So, the unit has the capability to zoom, but you cannot move the view to your desired depth range. Hopefully, they can add this ability via a software update. Seems like such a waste.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2018, 04:33 PM »
Garmin support’s response to my question about  Panoptix zoom:
“You can press the + or - button the display to zoom in and out, if you're wanting to zoom on a certain range, you would not be able to do that.”

So, the unit has the capability to zoom, but you cannot move the view to your desired depth range. Hopefully, they can add this ability via a software update. Seems like such a waste.
Yes I know about changing the range, but like you said, you can’t zoom in on a part of the screen, just have to move closer and shorten the range on the screen

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2018, 05:40 PM »
I need to find a fishing buddy who has one.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.