Author Topic: New Jiffy  (Read 3383 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
New Jiffy
« on: Sep 12, 2018, 02:04 PM »

<===Lefty===

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New Jiffy
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2018, 02:09 PM »
Well, yes, they are right. They are late to the party. It better be good!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2018, 02:12 PM »
60 Holes through 24" of ice with a 10" bit is pretty darn good.
<===Lefty===

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Weight is pretty good too. Right there with the Ion if I recall correctly.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2018, 09:18 PM »
Be interesting in what it cost. I thought the weight was a bit heavy, but still pretty light. I think my clam plate Milwaukee and nils 8in was around 18lbs.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2018, 09:43 PM »
Right around $600 is what I've seen, and finally a good chipper  ;D

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2018, 04:15 AM »
Good to see Jiffy enter the game & give all us hardwater diehards another choice.....They have always made great gas augers & I would expect this one to live up to the reputation they have built over the years.....Time will tell.....

So who's gonna be the 1st to buy one ??

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Be interesting in what it cost. I thought the weight was a bit heavy, but still pretty light. I think my clam plate Milwaukee and nils 8in was around 18lbs.

The 8" is about 25, the 10" is around 30 is memory serves. That's still pretty heavy compared to a MKE/KD/Clam Plate combo.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2018, 09:42 AM »
 The best thing I did over the summer was to sell my jiffy auger. Gen. one propane. Never again will I spend another dime on a jiffy product.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Jiffy white lightning 8" is 30 pounds for another weight comparison

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2018, 12:26 PM »
I’m planning to sell my gas Eskimo and get the ion  or the jiffy... I’m really torn

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2018, 01:13 PM »
prospector,
My guess is it wasn’t the Jiffy, but the fact it was propane that caused the problems. Just sayin “.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2018, 02:24 PM »
prospector,
My guess is it wasn’t the Jiffy, but the fact it was propane that caused the problems. Just sayin “.

I haven’t heard any positive reviews from someone who’s had any brand of propane auger for more than a year.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2018, 03:03 PM »
prospector,
The hoses leaked from day one. Jiffy was aware of the problem and left the guinea pigs out in the cold. The auger worked great, but dealing with a dishonest company made me mad enough to take a loss and  will not  let them in my arsenal of equipment again. I had $800 invested with a 10” and 6” bits. Sold the package for $300. That $500 was the best money I have spent since paying an attorney for an ex wife. Happy boy now with several Nils /  drill combinations!

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2018, 08:51 PM »
I’m planning to sell my gas Eskimo and get the ion  or the jiffy... I’m really torn

Love my strikemaster 40v lithium

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2018, 09:31 PM »
I would be curious to see how Jiffy's market share today compares to what it was the year that they could no longer get Tecumseh engines.  Propane augers were and are an intriguing idea and at the time it seemed like Jiffy had the world by the tail with them but issues started to pop up. How many different generations of Jiffy propane augers are there now? It's been a re-design after re-design.

The non-Tecumseh powerheads have given many people fits. My brother in law was one of them. 5 out of 6 years his went down with some weird type of issue and he was too stubborn to dump the thing. By the time he finally gave up on it he had well over a grand stuck into the purchase of it and keeping the dang thing running. The final diagnosis by an independent small engine guru was that the engine was a decent design as long as you never ran it in air temps below 60 degrees. What good does that do? 

Now they are jumping into the electric game and admit that they are late to it. Is this "too little too late" for them? At $600 what are you getting that makes it worth that when compared to other electric augers? You can set yourself up with one hell of a drill/plate (or no plate)/auger combination for that amount of money and it'll be lighter.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2018, 09:56 PM »
The drill setups work great. The problem we have now is companies thinking they need $200+ for a freaking auger. Thank god we had hand augers out ranging from $40-$80 before the drill craze took off. My buddy had bought an Eskimo 8in gas auger for $200 new just a few years ago. Now they want that for just an auger.

The price tags these companies are putting on stuff is just getting to be a bit absurd.

I haven't been to impressed with jiffy either. My uncle in law bought a propane jiffy. Used it two years and dumped it because of issues. Then I had a guy give me an old Jiffy Jet 8in hand auger. I cleaned it up then called jiffy to see if they had the curved jet blades since it was discontinued. They wanted $35.99 plus $10.99 S&H. I told them at that price I would just buy a new $40 Eskimo flat blade. So I sold the jiffy jet for $40 on Craigslist. Jiffy is getting to be about has bad as clam when it comes to price vs value.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2018, 10:11 PM »
I would be curious to see how Jiffy's market share today compares to what it was the year that they could no longer get Tecumseh engines.  Propane augers were and are an intriguing idea and at the time it seemed like Jiffy had the world by the tail with them but issues started to pop up. How many different generations of Jiffy propane augers are there now? It's been a re-design after re-design.

The non-Tecumseh powerheads have given many people fits. My brother in law was one of them. 5 out of 6 years his went down with some weird type of issue and he was too stubborn to dump the thing. By the time he finally gave up on it he had well over a grand stuck into the purchase of it and keeping the dang thing running. The final diagnosis by an independent small engine guru was that the engine was a decent design as long as you never ran it in air temps below 60 degrees. What good does that do? 

Now they are jumping into the electric game and admit that they are late to it. Is this "too little too late" for them? At $600 what are you getting that makes it worth that when compared to other electric augers? You can set yourself up with one hell of a drill/plate (or no plate)/auger combination for that amount of money and it'll be lighter.

The jiffy ripper blade will make them sell in ND and other areas with dirty ice. Everything else is shaver style blades except K-drill I think. $600 will put them right there with ion and strikemaster. Guessing they were a little more patient after how the propane deal went.

I dont know how any company is selling new gas augers with the used market being so cheap. Around here $100 will get you an auger that usually just needs a carb cleaning and new gas

Offline Just a random icefisherma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2018, 11:36 AM »

I dont know how any company is selling new gas augers with the used market being so cheap. Around here $100 will get you an auger that usually just needs a carb cleaning and new gas
Same around here. I bought a eskimo 33cc stingray with an 8in. Auger for 50 bucks. The only thing wrong with it is the recoil. I tried a old jiffy and a clam plate last year, and much preferred the gas. At 28 lbs, it's not too bad on weight either.
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine."
-Johnny Cash

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2018, 10:14 PM »
I just can not see how people spend 600 on these electric augers. Ie jiffy, ion, strike master. Money is no issue here but ur seriously going to spend that kind of money when you can get a drill auger setup for almost half? Milwaukee with 2 5ah batteries can be had for 200, clam plate 70, ur choice of auger up to 150 max which u could easily only spend 75 or less on auger. Again, I’m not saying this because money is tight for me but why the hell spend 600 on these electric augers? Help me justify as I must be missing something...

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2018, 10:15 AM »
The jiffy ripper blade will make them sell in ND and other areas with dirty ice. Everything else is shaver style blades except K-drill I think. $600 will put them right there with ion and strikemaster. Guessing they were a little more patient after how the propane deal went.

That's fine and dandy but ice fishing is a niche sport and if Jiffy is counting on good sales in regions with dirty ice to make this thing a success...well...it still leaves me questioning the direction of that company. Not everyone in a "dirty ice" region is going to jump up and down with glee saying "oh boy, a $600 electric with a ripper blade...where have you been all my life?" Those who don't have to deal with the dirt you guys have are not going to fork over $600 on a new unproven product from a company that has had issues over the past decade especially when there are other electric options available that are less expensive and have been proven to work...unless they have brand loyalty to Jiffy.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2018, 12:29 PM »
They are priced right with the rest and put out something that sets them apart from the rest idk how you can question the direction of the company.  I won't buy it because I don't have an issue with gas but I don't get all the flack that they're catching over it.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2018, 02:47 PM »
I haven’t heard any positive reviews from someone who’s had any brand of propane auger for more than a year.

I've had a Pro4 going on 4 years.  Starts on 2nd pull pretty much every time.  I guess I got a good one.  ???

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2018, 09:06 PM »
I just can not see how people spend 600 on these electric augers. Ie jiffy, ion, strike master. Money is no issue here but ur seriously going to spend that kind of money when you can get a drill auger setup for almost half? Milwaukee with 2 5ah batteries can be had for 200, clam plate 70, ur choice of auger up to 150 max which u could easily only spend 75 or less on auger. Again, I’m not saying this because money is tight for me but why the hell spend 600 on these electric augers? Help me justify as I must be missing something...

What would keep me from getting an electric auger like the Ion, strikemaster, trophy strike, or jiffy is how much they want for a spare/second battery.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Sep 19, 2018, 09:29 AM »
They are priced right with the rest and put out something that sets them apart from the rest idk how you can question the direction of the company.  I won't buy it because I don't have an issue with gas but I don't get all the flack that they're catching over it.

As I previously stated. Enough issues with their propane augers to facilitate design changes almost every year. Issues with the post-Tecumseh power heads. Both of these have led to frustrations among customers in getting these augers serviced. I am originally from an area that has traditionally been very, very  pro-Jiffy simply because of the proximity to where they are located. 10 years ago and more it was incredibly rare to see anything but a Jiffy now many are making the switch because they have lost faith in a Jiffy product. I didn't fully realize that there were any issues until I fished a few times with a friend who is a certified Jiffy mechanic. He insisted that I bring my non-Jiffy along because even he didn't have confidence that his new prototype Jiffy (that was in his opinion rushed too fast to the market) would run. Always the same. "Bring your Eskimo, at least we'll know we'll be able to cut holes." Hmmmm.... 

So lost confidence in the brand, a price point that is somewhat high compared to other electrics...that's going to lead to some skepticism. Other than the ripper blade, what definitively sets this thing apart from other electric augers that are out there?   

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 19, 2018, 10:46 PM »
Ion-X is $659 on the ion site. The price point is not high compared to similar augers. What the hell were they suppose to do not put out an electric? It's priced to compete as long as it drills a similar amount of holes it shouldn't need anything other than the ripper blade to sell. Either way it's progress and one more competitor to keep pushing for improvement.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 21, 2018, 09:24 AM »
What would keep me from getting an electric auger like the Ion, strikemaster, trophy strike, or jiffy is how much they want for a spare/second battery.

One of the reasons I went with the Milwaukee is so I am not married to a specific, specialty battery. I mean, yes, I am with the Milwaukee system, but at least it's not some obscure, completely purpose built battery. What if Ion goes under in a year? Or this Jiffy... what if they go bankrupt in a few years? Then I'm stuck with an auger that I can't get a replacement battery for. The chances of that happening with a drill powered auger is reduced.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Sep 21, 2018, 09:30 AM »
I think Eskimo/Ion and Jiffy are here to stay.
Jiffy 67 years
Eskimo 50 years
Milwalkee 85 years.
Doesn't look they are ready to just quit.
<===Lefty===

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2019, 08:17 PM »
Any reviews on this thing yet?

The bait shop owners Ive talked to who have them for sale in their shops haven’t sold many and a few have run promotions trying to get rid of the things. Is it worth the $600 price tag as some suggested a few months ago?

I’m not interested in them for my own personal use...completely satisfied with the cordless drill combo and gas auger I am running....which when combined you could set up/purchase for less than the cost of the Jiffy electric. Outside of them being introduced you really haven’t heard much about them. I’m curious if they are a step forward or just a ho-hum product.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:32 AM »
I haven't seen anything on them other than my first post.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.