Author Topic: Polar or Frabill parts  (Read 3482 times)

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Polar or Frabill parts
« on: Aug 20, 2018, 01:57 PM »
Looking for replacement parts. More specifically the metal line guide that the line goes through after it comes off the spool of a polar style tip up. Any advice on where to buy this little metal part would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Polar or Frabill parts
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2018, 02:33 PM »
I use these traps (HT Polars), but can't say i have ever seen any replacement parts online.
Fish307 may be worth a call. Doubt they carry them in the offseason but they may be able to order them or guide you in the right direction

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2018, 10:41 AM »
Perchking4ever ,I did a Google search and like ActiveTrapChecker did not find listing of replacement parts on HT Enterprises or Frabill's websites. Looked at Beaver Dam and they only sell entire trip/spool assembly . Below is website,customer service phone number and email for HT. You could contact them and see what they can tell you about the line guide.
Steve

www.htent.com   , email [email protected] ,  Customer service Mon.-Fri. 7AM-4PM central time 920-533-5080

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Why not just get a small diameter rod from the hardware store and bend it around something round? Make your own.

The only replacement parts I haven’t found online for HT Polars is the center tube and the line guides. You can find flags, spools, and even the pen clip part. I guess if you need more than that just buy a new Polar.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Perchking4ever ,I did a Google search and like ActiveTrapChecker did not find listing of replacement parts on HT Enterprises or Frabill's websites. Looked at Beaver Dam and they only sell entire trip/spool assembly . Below is website,customer service phone number and email for HT. You could contact them and see what they can tell you about the line guide.
Steve

www.htent.com   , email [email protected] ,  Customer service Mon.-Fri. 7AM-4PM central time 920-533-5080

thanks! i did Email both companies so we'll see what happens.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2018, 09:55 AM »
You are welcome , Hope you get a reply that helps you with your problem.  RyanW has a good idea maybe even play around with a wire coat hanger.
Steve

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2018, 08:51 AM »
This will be interesting as I'm pretty heavily invested in Polars. Never had an issue with a line guide. Don't see how one could break altogether but certainly are at risk for damage by stepping on or sled hit n run.

Is it possible to repair/re-form the damaged piece? I wouldn't be afraid to bend my own from scratch but I'd choose brass or stainless steel for durability. Coat hangers would be easy to work with but I'd think they would bend out of shape just as easily and rust in fairly short order.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2018, 09:04 AM »
That has been my experience as well with the polars, although this coming will only be year #7 for me. I could see them getting damaged as a result of freezing in the hole, but i haven't had that problem. I check the traps frequently...

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2018, 09:19 AM »
Esox- xtm , I agree wire used in coat/clothes hanger might not be best to use for making replacement line guides . Just a suggestion also lets Perchking4ever see how easily wire of similar diameter to that used for line guides on tip-up will bend . Brass and stainless steel are better choices for the repair.
Steve

Offline Zachery80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2018, 10:56 AM »
I have some old one laying around.  If you want I can send them to you.   PM me your address and I will get them out to you.   

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2018, 04:02 PM »
HT answered my email and has sent me 7 line guides free of charge. The issue I had was I had bought 7 used polar tip ups online and the only thing wrong with them is they were all missing the line guides. HT was great to work with.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Great to hear that HT took care of you. Very refreshing to hear about good customer service!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2018, 06:10 PM »
HT answered my email and has sent me 7 line guides free of charge. The issue I had was I had bought 7 used polar tip ups online and the only thing wrong with them is they were all missing the line guides. HT was great to work with.

Excellent! Makes you wonder why someone removed the guides in the first place. After all, they don't just fall off or wear out.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2018, 07:21 PM »

That’s a great outcome! Especially since I had a Polar take on a snowmobile at 25 MPH last season. The metal spindle took a beating...

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2018, 07:48 PM »
Perchking4ever glad to hear HT enterprises replied to your email and sent you the line guides free of charge. Zachery80 very nice of you to offer your spare parts. ActiveTrapChecker sorry to hear your tip-up was damaged by a snowmobile given HT's response to Perchking4ever I would contact them about obtaining a new spindle. If they will not send/sell you a spindle I believe Beaver Dam tip-ups sells sindle assemblies.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.