Author Topic: Ion 6 inch auger blade guard  (Read 1339 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ion 6 inch auger blade guard
« on: Apr 18, 2018, 08:01 AM »
I have another question for you ion guys. My 6 inch bit that my friend gave me is great. Im not impressed with the blade guard.  It keeps falling off. It has a small crack and think thats the cause. Is anyone having issues with the blade guard just falling off randomly? This is for the 6 inch. Ion sells new ones ill get one. Anyone using anything different or seen any modified versions for the 6 inch?
Thanks
Salmonemia

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ion 6 inch auger blade guard
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Same happened to me with my 8” blade cover. I drilled a couple of holes in a flat washer, then pop riveted the washer across the crack and it held together for a while but eventually gave in as well. Tried super gluing it to no avail.
I have seen the covers that “snap” in place when you push the auger down into it but not sure if one is made for the 6”

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2018, 09:37 AM »
And why have they not created magnetic ones?
Just add water.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2018, 09:39 AM »
My rubber strap kept coming out of the slots on the stock cover so I drilled two small holes in one side of the flange on each side of the slot so I could wire the strap to always stay on that one side - worked great this entire year with the cover never falling off and didn't have to worry about losing the rubber strap, either.  The thing would fall off just looking at it before I did that.  Cold Snap makes a nice cover for the 8" but nothing yet for the 6".

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2018, 12:00 PM »
And why have they not created magnetic ones?

Sounds good I'd take a magnetic one... May not hold if your blade ices up but if that's the case you've got bigger problems.

I wonder how much R&D and product testing companies go through to avoid these issues.

I know the NILS blade cover is terrible at staying on. Have not had an issue with the regular 8" ion
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2018, 12:01 PM »
My rubber strap kept coming out of the slots on the stock cover so I drilled two small holes in one side of the flange on each side of the slot so I could wire the strap to always stay on that one side - worked great this entire year with the cover never falling off and didn't have to worry about losing the rubber strap, either.  The thing would fall off just looking at it before I did that.  Cold Snap makes a nice cover for the 8" but nothing yet for the 6".
I like that. Can you upload a picture please? I mean i know its only a piece of plastic but you would think the engineers would design a better built guard.  My 8 inch has no issues.
Salmonemia

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2018, 12:02 PM »
Sounds good I'd take a magnetic one... May not hold if your blade ices up but if that's the case you've got bigger problems.

I wonder how much R&D and product testing companies go through to avoid these issues.

I know the NILS blade cover is terrible at staying on. Have not had an issue with the regular 8" ion
Exactly
Salmonemia

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2018, 12:10 PM »
My friend cut his finger badly trying to remove the cover from his 6" Mora Swedebore. I have the same kind, so I took a small plastic pail and used a bungee wrapped around the shaft to secure it. It looks a bit like the 'container' type guard that the Finbore uses.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2018, 02:46 PM »
I like that. Can you upload a picture please? I mean i know its only a piece of plastic but you would think the engineers would design a better built guard.  My 8 inch has no issues.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Wayne Coldsnap covers are the best I just checked and they haven't come out with a 6" yet just an 8". I'm sure it is just a matter of time before they do.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2018, 03:59 PM »
Thanks for the picture.  I copied your idea and used 30 lb power pro. It works great. Alot more stable. Thanks for the idea.
Salmonemia

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.