Author Topic: Hard water/soft water bait casting reel recommendations  (Read 1539 times)

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So I have been thinking about getting a baitcasting reel to use for hard and soft water. I have plenty of spinning reels and wanted to try something new.

I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a quality entry level baitcasting reel, and rod for open/hard water? I do not want to spend more than $200 on the reel + open water rod. Would you think it would be more worthwhile to get a cheap rod first and quality reel?

A friend who is a big time bass fishermen indicated his love for Daiwa reels, and I was hoping to get some input from you all.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hard water/soft water bait casting reel recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2018, 09:54 AM »
Like your friend I’m a diawa fan. I have a number of them on baitcast open water bass rods and my favorite hard water jig rod has a diawa tatula bait caster on it.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2018, 11:34 AM »
Shimano reels. Curado is great to start and will last a LONG time while being smooth and reliable.

All my set ups are Shimano reels with St Croix rods. A few Shimano rods as well. But these are far more than $200 each.

A light rod will reward you when making thousands of casts per day.
Just add water.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2018, 01:31 PM »
I use a calcutta for lakers on ice and for bass in open water.  I think that size is a 50. 

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2018, 04:26 PM »
i also use a shimano callcuta 50 b for lakers northerns and big eyes.  Problem is they don't make them anymore...last two I bought off ebay sent straight from Japan.  Nice little bait caster for open water also they last forever.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2018, 08:24 PM »
Quantum smoke in my opinion matched with a 7 medium heavy falcon rod..rod is 99 and reel might be 159..over your price range but it’s worth it..not the best for hardwater however..lol
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2018, 11:58 AM »
Those quantams arent bad.  I have a cheap one escalde or something like that.  7:1. Burner. Great reel for 80 bones.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2018, 01:23 PM »
Those quantams arent bad.  I have a cheap one escalde or something like that.  7:1. Burner. Great reel for 80 bones.
i have been using quantum’s forever..it’s really how you care for your reel than the brand..keeping clean , etc..those smokes are bad a$$
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2018, 09:01 PM »
I agree.  Same goes for the calcutta.  Clean and very very light use of oil. I have a cheap Pfluger President ive been fishing with for 10 years! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.