Author Topic: Yet another drill question  (Read 1972 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yet another drill question
« on: Mar 29, 2018, 08:07 PM »
What is your opinion on the suitability of this drill to handle a 6" Mora Swedebore? DeWalt doesn't seem to give a torque rating for their drills. I am not overly concerned about the amp-hr rating of the batts because I don't tend to drill a lot of holes---maybe 20 at the most.  Thx

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dewalt-20v-max-li-ion-cordless-drill-1-2-in-0547111p.html#
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Yet another drill question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2018, 10:59 PM »
If you use an efficient drill, like a nils, 6 inch is no problem. I would recommend a hammer drill, you will be putting a lot of load on the gearbox, and the hammer drills are built for that. I got a cheap Home Depot (Rigid) and it has drilled hundreds and hundreds of holes. I use up a 4 A-h battery most days hole hopping, and it has gone 2 seasons- like  2000 holes. If I ever have a problem, it has lifetime warranty- on batteries as well as the drill.

"Im a man, but I can change- if I have to ... I guess"

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2018, 09:02 AM »
I wouldn't recommend that drill for several reasons. The DCD771C2 is a low-end DeWalt 'brushed' drill with the least powerful batteries available (1.5AH).  DeWalt uses UWO for power rating, a different method than other manufacturers. I wouldn't expect it to drill many holes or thick ice very well even with a 6" Swede-Bore. At only 300 UWO it has a fraction of the torque compared to the DeWalt's brushless DCD996 (820 UWO) for example.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2018, 10:06 AM »
agreed ^^

also, the amp draw from a drill under severe load maybe higher than 1.5 amp battery can produce. but with such a low output that may not be the case with that battery.

how much do you want to spend on a drill?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2018, 01:12 PM »
Dewalt 995 or 996 ....all others will not last...4 ah batteries a must.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Thx, guys. That pretty well settles it. I'll pass on that one.

Thx Badger--Keep yer stick on the ice!1 ;D

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2018, 06:48 AM »
Dewalt 995 or 996 ....all others will not last...4 ah batteries a must.
Warning if you want to use a machined adapter to screw onto the drill spindle the dcd 995 has a removable chuck and the dcd 996 doesn't. Hard to find the 995 now and it seems that the 996 replaced them. If you use a clam plate then the 996 is a great drill.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2018, 10:07 AM »
This one, the DCD991P2  is brushless and is rated at 820 UWO so presumably has a lot more torque. It's called a 'compact drill' though, so I don't know how rugged it would be.

Comment?---thx

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dewalt-20v-max-li-ion-compact-brushless-cordless-drill-1-2-in-0547288p.0547288.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=dpa&utm_term=productviewers&utm_content=genmerch_image_productviewer_7days_3pdps

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2018, 10:39 AM »
Looks like the same UWO rating as the 996 w/o the "hammer drill" option...so it would seem ok

https://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/compare?category=Drills&sku1=DCD991B&sku2=DCD996B
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.