The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: A Meal, a Couple Fish and a Dunking  (Read 986 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A Meal, a Couple Fish and a Dunking
« on: Mar 11, 2018, 03:51 PM »
For a change of pace, I tried a relatively low elevation (about 900 feet above sea level) southern Berkshire pond today.

I arrived around 11 AM, gingerly walked out a ways (through a slushy patch) from the boat launch and chopped a test hole through about 6 inches of ice.

Then I proceeded toward a cove off to the left.  The snow cover varried from 8" in some places to bare spots in others.

The weather was sunny, partly blue skies with lots of clouds, and temps in the mid to upper 30's.  There was a fairly steady breeze that ranged frojm 5 to 15 mph.

On the end where I set up, the ice ranged from 2" closer to shore to 6" further out.

I set up my mix of tip-ups and  deadsticks and proceeded to wait.

I didn't have any action for the first half hour, so I headed back to my car to retrieve my "chuck wagon" of cooking supplies.

By noon, my lunch was more or less ready and, doncha know, at that point I had two more or less simultaneous flags on opposite ends o my "line."

I mis-timed setting the hook on my first flag, but caught a pretty nice bass (I'd guess it weighed somewhere between 2 and 3 pounds).

Then I proceeded to eat lunch - - seafood chowder, a salad, boneless chicken breast sauteed in pear wine with mixed vegetables, a bottle of coffee porter, a green apple     and some sriracha covered peanuts, and a slice of peanut butter mousse pie.

Around 1:30 PM, I had a strike on one of my dead sticks, which netted me a small (13") pickerel.

Then I walked my chuck wagon back to the car, and headed back out to check my gear.

Around 2:10 PM, I was walking the rounds and checking one of my tip ups closer to shore when a 4' x 4' patch of ice gave way underneath me. 

Fortunately, I was able to catch myself when I was only about half way through the ice, and clamber back out.

Also fortunately, once I rounded up my gear and made it back to my car a half hour later, I had a set of dry clothes to change into.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: A Meal, a Couple Fish and a Dunking
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2018, 05:33 PM »
Close call.  Glad it turned out well.  Stick to the higher elevations!!  I was on ten inches up there but only jigged for a little while.  I scouted out some other spots but none were even plankable.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Way to get out Jim.  Glad you are ok and sorry I couldn't make it.  Averi wanted me home! 

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2018, 06:08 PM »
every time i read your posts my mouth waters :). nice work and glad your okay.

Offline Bigbellybilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bigbellybilly
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Glad to hear you are ok the meals you make on the ice sound great thanks for sharing  be safe out there
Bigbelly

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Thanks, all!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.