Author Topic: Spinning reels  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Spinning reels
« Reply #30 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:17 AM »
FYI, the new PRESSP20 has that handle feature on the micro size; these replace the 6920.

Any other differences on these "updated" reels that you've noticed?  I like my 6920's and looking to pick up a couple more but have held off since they switched to these PRESSP20 models...

Offline KrakenJr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Combos are more affordable and generally fine when targeting smaller fish that won’t test your drag.  If you’re going for something bigger, drag is more important, and I’d recommend getting a stand-alone reel. Combo reels don’t have good drag systems (at least the ones I’ve seen).

I typically target togue through the ice and for my main setup, I use a Pfleuger President 6920 w/ 6lb braid or a Shimano Stradic FK 2500 w/ 10lb braid.

sunniewally

« Reply #32 on: Feb 25, 2018, 07:29 AM »
I like the mitchell advocate ul 500.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #33 on: Feb 25, 2018, 01:22 PM »
i have been using summer type reels and am ready to buy dedicated ice reels. like the Ht accucasts. with the long necks for better use with gloves. and are made for short rods.

I have about a half-dozen of the Accucast reels and I think they are the best bang for the buck in ice fishing.  I have landed LOTS of lake trout on those little reels, sometimes on 2lb. test line, and have appreciated the smooth drags they have.  For twenty bucks, it's hard to believe, but it's true: they get the job done. 

Some of mine are several seasons old and show no signs of wear or problems.  I have a similar reel from Frabill that also has a very good drag, but it is starting to get sloppy after a few seasons.

That said, I mostly use a Pflueger President for lakers and a couple of Okuma Avengers with the bait-feeder feature on my JawJackers.  As a next step up from the HT Accucast reels, the President is a great reel for the money.  For soft water fishing, I like the higher end Shimano and Daiwa spinning reels.  I don't know how many spinning reels I have, total, but it's a bunch!

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 01, 2018, 01:50 PM »
I run 3 Pfleuger President 20s and 2 Cabelas  fish eagles. Slowly swapping to all presidents as I upgrade my rods.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:34 PM »
I run the cetus ticas lf500 good inexpensive reel.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:40 PM »
Pleuger Trion Mostly size 25 and Pline cx premium. No issues with line twist. I use mostly 4lb test and some 2lb. I haven't had any issues with this set up. I do have a 6lb set up too. The cx premium has been great. Its all I will use now.
Salmonemia

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 02, 2018, 02:36 PM »
The old 6720 is a much better reel then the 6920. My favorite micro reel is the quantum e05ptib energy spinning reel. The new 05 size Micro PT is a true ultralight spinning reel with 100 yards of 4 pound test monofilament. It's constructed from a solid aluminum frame and side cover, comes finished with the company's popular Titanium vacuum deposition coating, Micro PT ceramic drag system, Titanium bail wire, and 8 PT Polymer-Stainless bearings with Infinite Anti-Reverse. The tiny Energy PT size 05 features a 5.2:1 gear ratio and weighs in at only 6 ounces.
The solid aluminum body is cold on the hands though but it's so smooth that when jigging the handle will move and reel up my line.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 02, 2018, 04:07 PM »
The old 6720 is a much better reel then the 6920.

I totally agree.   

I only have a single  of the newest pressp20, but so far that appears to me to be pretty decent.  The handle design is a big improvement. 

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 02, 2018, 04:21 PM »
Lol sure devils lake nd is famous for its little perch NOT also the it's still has a 5.2:1 ratio same as your shimano. But has a  body that is made of solid aluminum ceramic drag. There's nothing little about these reels when pulling big perch from 35+ feet of water. Make no mistake at 140$ a piece these reels ten years ago where top of the line that's why I bought them becuase of the quality of materials used to make them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.