Author Topic: Spinning reels  (Read 4501 times)

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spinning reels
« on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Is there anything special about ice fishing spinning reels I see on combos?I have a small micro spinning reel I can use if I buy an ice rod.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Spinning reels
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:21 PM »
yes...they're usually a waste.
no...they're usually garbage.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:23 PM »
yes...they're usually a waste.
no...they're usually garbage.

Yup---just use a reg 'summer' reel of good quality. I like my Simano Sienna 1000---not the top of the line, but works well.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:30 PM »
I really like the Tica 500's. I have a Diawa 500 size and it sucks. It has a sticky spot and the handle is sorta tough to turn. The Tica's are great.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Bob nailed it... you get what you pay for.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:01 PM »
I use little high end spinning reels and they are fine except for the line twist. I love the small bait casters.
Thread killer

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:48 PM »
I use a pfflueger President. Love it.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:17 AM »
I've had good luck with the Shimano Sienna 500's.  I got one of those Okuma Ceymar 10's, and the first one was rough to turn, and the second one isn't much better.  Maybe I got a couple duds, but I'm glad I didn't pay the $50 asking price for it.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:28 AM »
i have been using summer type reels and am ready to buy dedicated ice reels. like the Ht accucasts. with the long necks for better use with gloves. and are made for short rods.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:44 AM »
Most ice reels are not high quality. I guess it depends on what your budget is.
But back to your question some ice reels have the head of the reel tilted more toward the rod, because of the short distance to the first line guide. Some have longer reel seat to accommodate for gloves.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Ht accucasts are a heck of an ice reel for around $20, there's plenty of "better" reels out there but accucasts do the job very well 

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:35 AM »
I use all my reels year round. I'd much rather have the confidence in my equipment all the time, than worry about something new, breaking down. Just need to change out the line more

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Cabelas Fish Eagle reels in the 500 size also aren't too bad.  They often go on sale for $17 and come with two spools.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:44 AM »
i guess some of it depends on if you are going to be in a heated shack or outside in the elements with gloves on.

Offline clmiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:03 AM »
Okuma spinning reels are one of my favorite, can get a little pricey.

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:40 AM »
thanks for the input.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:57 PM »
i really like the new Okuma alaris reels. they have a large line capacity, the drag and anti-reverse is stellar, and they're pretty affordable! i like the 20 size, it's a bit on the large side for ice rods, but not too big, and that extra line capacity really comes in handy for larger fish.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:39 PM »
i really like the new Okuma alaris reels. they have a large line capacity, the drag and anti-reverse is stellar, and they're pretty affordable! i like the 20 size, it's a bit on the large side for ice rods, but not too big, and that extra line capacity really comes in handy for larger fish.

I'm curious what are you fishing for that you need all that line?

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:51 PM »
Pfluger president and president xt here. Got about 12 or 13 of them, very smooth with 7 or 10 bearings depending on the size.(micro 20 size has 7) Only $49 for micro, $59 for larger president, $79 for any size xt.(carbon hanle with cork) Love these for ice and open water, you can spend more $, but hard to get much better of a reel for any price.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Around here it is hard to find just a good ice fishing rod anymore. It seems I have to buy the rod reel combo. When I find the rod I like and take the piece of junk reel off.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Is there anything special about ice fishing spinning reels I see on combos?I have a small micro spinning reel I can use if I buy an ice rod.
so just buy a rod you want to go with your reel for starters.
in time you'll probably pick a favorite reel and won't want to buy any combo and the same goes with the rod. you may change your mind on a favorite item and will want to keep the other favorite item to go with your new favorite.
for me a like a rod i can't buy any more so all of my different reels are on those.
after you get too many reels then you don't have to swap them out for open water fishing. so it's a slow process of collecting and what you like to use.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2018, 10:57 AM »
On the upside the combo reels are great for catch and release

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2018, 11:58 AM »
I have:

2 Shimano   500 Siennas 
1 Pflueger  6920 President
2 Shimano 1000 Saharas
4 Shimano   500 Symmetres
1 Shimano 1000 Saros
2 13 Fishing Black Betty 6061s
1 Pflueger 9525 Patriarch
2 Shimano  1000 Stradic Ci4+ FAMLs

You can see for the most part, I'm a Shimano guy, but I have 4 Pflueger Patriarch XTs I use for open water as well a number of larger size Shimanos.  All of these reels are capable and functional from $30 to $200+.  The more expensive reels will stay smoother and tighter feeling longer as bushings are replaced by bearings, and cheap metal and composite bodies are replaced with carbon and magnesium bodies and precision cut gears as opposed to stamped.  The ones in my hand 90% of the time are the Ci4+s though.  One is on a 26" Widow Maker and one is on a 27" Tickle Stick.

DN 
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:00 PM »
Unless it comes in a combo you would be nuts not to go with Shimano sienna 500 or 1000 for under $30 they can’t be beat.

Offline Duck-Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2018, 02:05 AM »
When it comes to panfishing you can't beat a schooley reel. Less than $5 and the original "inline" reel.  All I use
REMOVED

Offline bshirtd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:59 AM »
Another sienna fan. I'm not sure id put a stradic on an ice fishing rod seems like overkill......
its a footrace to the hole

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2018, 12:09 PM »
shimano sienna 500 series user here. but any model shimano in the 500 size are good reels.when buying a combo it seem that the reel sucks or the rod does.i stay away from buying cheap rod/reel combos.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2018, 06:02 PM »
I like Pflueger President reels, and pick them up when they go on sale.  I use them on my ice fishing rods and my warm water rods.  I thought that I'd like the 6920 model for ice fishing since it's the smallest, but I prefer the 6925 over the smaller model since I can quickly turn the handle on the 6925 to make the reel smaller to fit into a rod case.  To use it, I just quickly turn the handle in the opposite direction and tighten it.  With the 6920, I have to tighten the round, plastic end cap just like on cheap ice fishing combos that you pick up for $20, and it seems to loosen up sometimes when I'm using it.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2018, 08:02 PM »
There is a natural attraction to spinning reels.  They are the most popular casting reel.  Over the years I’ve drifted away from spinning reels for ice fishing.  With light rods, though there is a better balance with spinning reels than other reels.  But even the more expensive makes and models give me issues in the extreme cold.  Combine this with the small spools that curl some line or spool out better ice line prematurely, I’ve almost completely switched to either small baitcast or level wind reels.  But beware that cheap crappie-type micro baitcast reels are not without issue with faulty drags.

And yes with proper maintenance using hotsauce or other good lubricants the can make certain of the microspinning reels work fine, the reality is I generally don’t have the time or interest in high maintenance during the short season when we have hard water.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2018, 08:13 PM »
, but I prefer the 6925 over the smaller model since I can quickly turn the handle on the 6925 to make the reel smaller to fit into a rod case.  To use it, I just quickly turn the handle in the opposite direction and tighten it. 

FYI, the new PRESSP20 has that handle feature on the micro size; these replace the 6920.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.