Author Topic: 8" Nils or ???  (Read 1722 times)

Offline mod600

• IceShanty Rookie
8" Nils or ???
« on: Feb 20, 2018, 03:06 PM »
I was going to get an 8" Nils auger at Christmas...ordered one before Christmas at Cabelas, was on backorder...backordere d for over a month, so they canceled my order.  Still waiting for them or anyone to have them in stock again...  I'm hoping due to the "shortage" they are really that great, co-worker has one and said it works great.  So it's mid-February and still using my old gas auger...  Is there another hand auger that works well to use with a cordless drill?   Fleet Farm had I think it was had Strikemaster hand auger for like $50....need the adapter plate to work in a drill...but is there anything wrong with those or should I wait and hold out for a Nils?
Thanks!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 8" Nils or ???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Nero Mini.  http://htice.com/mini-nero-telescopic-russian-hand-auger/ Best auger I have ever used. The video shows the Russian one that is counter Clockwise. The ones sold by HT are Clockwise.
<===Lefty===

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:08 PM »
You likely won’t find a Nilsmaster Auger anywhere now until next fall.  I would recommend the Arctic Trekker over the hand Auger though.  You can change auger lengths to suit your ice thickness and your height, and the the drill adapter is also a handle adapter.   Much more versatile.  A Nils auger head also won’t break or cripple your wrists breaking through the hole at the bottom of the ice.   That’s a big plus in my book.  More expensive?  Yes.  Worth it?  A resounding YES!  I didn’t mention that it drills ~ 2”/second yet either.  Save up, buy the Nils Arctic Trekker next fall.  My .02.

DN

PS.  I happen to have a new hand Nils and drill adapter in 8” that I’d part with if you’re still interested in a hand Nils. PM me if interested.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline IceRat1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:38 PM »
I have used the Nils 6" auger for several years as a hand auger and this year with a drill.  I have tried several augers and nothing I have tried comes close to the Nils auger for ease of hand drilling.  I usually can drill faster by hand than most people can drill with their gas auger.  Although I get a little tired after 6 holes or so but usually only drill 3 at a time so no issue.  Using the drill on the auger it is incredibly fast.  I would buy another one if this auger broke.  With that said, the Kdrill looks good on the drill too.  Either one would be nice with a hand drill.  I like the all steel Nils, I think the plastic auger assembly on the Kdrill would not last as long.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2018, 06:28 AM »
I was cutting through 20" of ice this past weekend with my 6" Nills (by hand) I will be 52 years old in March. No problem!
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2018, 06:46 AM »
Mod, like you said it is already mid Feb. I would hold out and use the power auger the rest of the year and invest in the Nils. I finally did it 3 years ago and as mentioned below I have paired mine up with a cordless drill and absolutely love it. Light weight, durable, cuts faster than power augers, and easy to cut by hand if need be. If you wait I think you will be happy you did!!!
WiMeatHunter

Offline mod600

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:05 AM »
Thanks for the info guys!

Fishmon

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:17 AM »
8 inch Nils with Milwaukee drill and 9amp battery or 5amp battery works all day long and cuts better than any gas powered auger I have run across.  I had several friendly contests with gas powered auger owners who were amazed at how fast and effortless the Nils cuts.  Nils requires no downward pressure.  Just squeeze trigger and let drill do its work.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:59 AM »
If you wait until next year, Cabelas has run a sale on them in December each of the past two years, around the second or third week.  Pair the sale with the $100 gift card for $80 on eBay, and I think the final price was somewhere around $110 for the 8" full size auger.  Same price as a Lazer, crazy!

I made the "mistake" of getting the full size, but I wish I would have just got the Trekker from the get-go.  I'm 6' tall, and the full-size Nils is just a tad too tall for my liking with the drill.  I can still use it without issue, but I just prefer it to be a little shorter.  I ended up buying a 28" extension and got hooked up graciously by another user here with the top drill adapter piece (the Trekker drill adapter is different from normal Nils drill adapter), and attached my cutting head from my full-size Nils to it.  It's perfect for me now. Here's a pic, but the full-size will be even taller in comparison because the cutting head is removed and there's obviously no drill attached:

After buying the full-size Nils and a Novak Ice master drill adapter, then deciding it's too tall for my liking, then a 28" extension to create a franken-Trekker, it would have been just cheaper to just buy the Trekker from the get-go.

Full-size or Trekker, you can't go wrong with a Nils.  I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did to finally get one.  Just baby the cutting head, and you'll be a happy camper!

Offline mod600

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:43 AM »
Thanks for the info.  The one I had originally ordered from Cabela's was an Orange one...it had the big disk on the top and the drill adapter already on it, looked like all one piece, except for the cutting head.  It came with a handle too.  The Treker one must different than the one I tried to get...

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:01 AM »
I don't understand this part. You seem to be saying it was too tall to begin with but then you got an extension, which would make it even taller??   
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:03 AM »
Nero Mini.  http://htice.com/mini-nero-telescopic-russian-hand-auger/ Best auger I have ever used. The video shows the Russian one that is counter Clockwise. The ones sold by HT are Clockwise.

Counter clockwise?  This is a clear example of why we won the Cold War -- although those guys sure know how to ice
fish.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:32 AM »
I don't understand this part. You seem to be saying it was too tall to begin with but then you got an extension, which would make it even taller??

Check out the picture I added to my post, may add some clarity.  I don't use the full-size flighting piece anymore.  Just the drill adapter from a Trekker, the 28" extension, and the cutting head (from my original full-size).  Shortens up the auger by a good 18" probably.  I'd have to measure when I get home to give exact number...

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2018, 11:26 AM »

Maybe this pic will help illustrate further.  I'm 5' 7".  The top handle of the Nils hand auger on the right is about my eye level.  Waaaay to tall for me to use comfortably.  I have done the same thing that RStock521 has done.  I'm using (from bottom to top) a Nils Power Point cutting head, Nils 28" flighting, Arctic Trekker handle/drill adapter and finally, the Mud Mixer for a power head.  You can see the height difference between the two set ups in the pic below.  The auger that I'm using on the left is 42" to the top of the Mud Mixer.  The Nils hand Auger is 48" just to the top of the shaft.  The hand auger is designed for very tall people/very thick ice.  We rarely see either in western PA.  LOL

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:55 PM »
Thx---wow! I wonder how 'normal' people (less than 6') use them by hand. Seems like a serious drawback to me! 
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.