Author Topic: Going through 30 inches of ice with hand auger?  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Red Nuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Going through 30 inches of ice with hand auger?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:46 PM »
It sucks, plain and simple. This pic was taken just before I broke through with an 8". Fortunately, less than 5 mins later I began a fight with a 28" walleye in the other hole.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #31 on: Feb 21, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Augers of ANY type weren't even thought of back in our day Doc. :'(
well I'm not that old,they were around in my youth.lol my dad wouldn't buy us kids one..i used a spud for so damn long.then my olman bought a spoon auger at a garage sale.i used that dull pos once and then went back to the spud.the ice was so much thicker when I was a teenager.i got my 1st auger at the age of around 18 I think.the  kmart on 28th st. was going out of business and had a stack of 8"moras for 8 bucks a piece.i bought a whole stack of them.i still have a few in boxes that i bought so many years ago.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:12 AM »
We took turns and it still took a solid 20 minutes to get thru. Plus the last 2 ft had to kneel, no extension.

PLUS it was a high lake at 12,200 ft elevation.  Never got a bite.

The last sentence of this post could be used to coin a new phrase - HYPOXIA SKUNK

When I was in the best shape of my entire life in my mid-twenties, I made 15 holes through 32" black ice with my 8" MORA, and the blades were not close to brand new ( they were the high quality Swedish ones though ). I was drilling like a crazy person, showing off some for a couple guys making their 1st trip with me. I barely rested between holes and got all 15 done in 45 minutes, NOT A TYPO.  :nono: I was a pretty hard core gym rat back then and would often do reps with the weights at the gym until I became nauseous.  :cookoo: :sick:

When I got done with the 15th hole that day I was stripping down to just a sweat-soaked tee shirt in 5 degree F temp, - the steam was pouring off from me like a locomotive for about 10 minutes.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 21, 2018, 12:46 PM »
I just took a brand new ht Nero with offset handles out of the box and was surprised at how easily a 7" auger flew through the ice. If I were only walleye/whitebass fishing it would be a a breeze in 24" of ice. On the other hand if you planned to be a hole hopping panfisherman I would highly suggest you consider the powered auger over the shanty. Also if you get a hand auger treat your blades like your baby!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.