New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: How long will our ice last?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline bgaffney

• Team IceShanty Regular
How long will our ice last?
« on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:39 PM »
On the channel 7 news tonight icefishermen say this is the last week of fishing on Chaumont Bay. What do you think?

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How long will our ice last?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:41 PM »
This could be the end !

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Couple days of mid 60's is gonna hurt but if you're on 15" of ice should tighten back up with some cold. But that suns getting warmer...... the fish are ready for a break!

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Not long in my area it will be toast..come on open water if a few creeks open up steelies will b on fire in some creeks i know of one thats pretty hot rite now

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:54 PM »
To funny,
Above the blue line,  I'd expect to be ice fishing close to April

Been a great ice season 2017-18.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:06 PM »
got to tell ya ...I agree with hot tuna 

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:08 PM »
There were some years that I ice fished in the morning and trout fished in the afternoon years ago.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2018, 04:54 AM »
now a lot depends where your fishing ,if your fishing waters with currents  such as rivers or canals you probably  are going to lose your ice  lakes with  15 to16 inches I think will hold up for awhile ...you have to use some common sence  is all........

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:07 AM »
now a lot depends where your fishing ,if your fishing waters with currents  such as rivers or canals you probably  are going to lose your ice  lakes with  15 to16 inches I think will hold up for awhile ...you have to use some common sence  is all........
   Trapper2000  Common sense ?????  Do you have a way to teach that to people ?

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:18 AM »
The "kids" today and I mean teens have the worst common sense I have ever seen it's very hard to teach someone common sense when they are glued to there phones and tablets 24/7
Go big or go home

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:37 AM »
 if someone  knowingly walks  over to a inlet on ice after 60 degree weather and a couple days of rain  I'm not sure about teaching them common since how ever I think we can observe a  good example of darwins law on natural selection!

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:39 AM »
The "kids" today and I mean teens have the worst common sense I have ever seen it's very hard to teach someone common sense when they are glued to there phones and tablets 24/7

Age has nothing to do with it. I know quite a few less than intelligent olds, as well.

Back on topic... trapper is right, use common sense and don’t trust anyone’s judgement but your own. It’s gonna take more than 2 days in the 60’s. Already happened once back in January and we’re still fishing.

Offline scott14580

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Age has nothing to do with it. I know quite a few less than intelligent olds, as well.

Back on topic... trapper is right, use common sense and don’t trust anyone’s judgement but your own. It’s gonna take more than 2 days in the 60’s. Already happened once back in January and we’re still fishing.
Big difference from early January to 3rd week of February. Sun is waaaay higher now and March is around the corner. No more lengthy cold snaps.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2018, 11:04 AM »
I’m just going to keep fishing and have  my spud close along with my picks and creepers

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2018, 11:08 AM »
In my area we had between 4-10” ice but with almost 3” rain already and 60* here now, won’t last long. This is headed your way, good luck, the rain is relentless !!  You might luck out, might stay north of you !!

Offline Damonspeeds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:15 PM »
To funny,
Above the blue line,  I'd expect to be ice fishing close to April

Been a great ice season 2017-18.

im right there with you. Every year until first week of April then I call it a season

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:29 PM »
High altitude and up north should be OK for another month or so as long as the first week in march isn't super warm. Everyone else will have problems. 15" of ice will still be nice and thick, but the shorelines will go fast, cracks will open up, and holes will grow from 8" to 2'. It's going to be DANGEROUS without 2-3 days of sub freezing temps to tighten it all back up and the 10 day isn't promising on that. This weekend is more warm and more rain! Everyone just be smart and really pay attention.

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:42 PM »
I believe we will get at least another weekend on Oneida.  The big issue is ice melting away from the North Shore when it gets sunny, no trees to block the sun like the South Shore.  The ice on Oneida look great this Sunday so I hope to get out again this weekend.

As for Chaumont Bay, the ice will hold up, but I would be concerned about cracks and wind.  Unlike Oneida which is almost lock up with ice, Ontario has open water, so if you get in the wrong area and the wind comes out of the East, you could end up floating out into the lake.  I could be wrong, but again I could be right and your gear would be left on the ice if you are lucky enough to get rescued.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:05 PM »
During the season you got to go fishing when you can.  Don't sit home and say I'll go tomorrow just because you know the ice will be there.  Go back to back days, go as much as you can, then at the end of a short season you won't feel so bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.