Author Topic: Heat Exchanger for Buddy Heater or propane cooker ? ? ?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
Idea for the HVAC professionals out there in IceShanty land :

Knowing that propane heaters give off moisture and cause rain in uninsulated shelters and extra weight in insulated shelters , could there be a way to make a simple & compact heat exchanger that would sit outside the shelter and have a 12 volt fan blow the heat inside ? Leaving the moisture from the exchanger to simply drip harmlessly on to the ice outside ?
I'm picturing 4 inch PVC flattened out under the shelter snow skirt sucking out cool air from the shelter , passing it through the exchanger ( via 12 volt fan ) into a ( insulated ? ) aluminum sheeting box that holds the Buddy heater or propane cooker . Then passing it through to PVC that is then blown into one of the removable windows or one of the roof vents . Is this to simplified ? Would the PVC have to be some type of insulated duct work ?
Just trying to figure out how to keep the moisture outside and the heat inside . This needs to be simple & compact , but effective .

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Heat Exchanger for Buddy Heater or propane cooker ? ? ?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2018, 01:17 PM »
How about finding a used RV furnace.  They go as low as 20K.  Or maybe one of these: https://www.propexheatsource.com/teardrop-trailer-heaters/

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:24 PM »
Without something being home built , at these prices , moisture in the hub shelter doesn't sound so bad after all ....... LOL !

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:55 PM »
This thread makes insulated shelters make a lot of sense.  ;D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:02 PM »
You may have more weight and cost in that set up verses the thermal, and there is nothing that can break or go wrong with the thermal.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:24 PM »
That's my whole point of asking about a propane heater that doesn't put the moisture into the shelter . I do have a Thermal insulated shelter . Don't get me wrong , my Buddy heater does a fine job heating it . But , I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the moisture out so you don't have 20 more pounds of weight and drying time after each day on the lake . The members on here are very inventive . Since most of us already have some type of propane heater , a hopefully simple & inexpensive heat exchanger would solve the moisture problem of a propane heater . But , so far all we have come up with is a expensive store bought option . The insulated duct work pipe and fan are simple . It's the heat exchanger itself that is the puzzle that needs solving . If I saw a commercially available one , I might be able to figure out a homemade alternative . Kinda like reverse engineering if you would .

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:42 PM »
my frabil aegis fully insulated has vents at the peak on both sides to ventilate so moisture doesn't collect. I've been out in -33 degrees in upstate ny in feb 2016 and kept the tent toasty with no condensation

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:04 PM »
Builder , mine doesn't drip on me either , but on the bigger hub shelters like my Eskimo Quickfish 5 i , the material does soak up extra weight in moisture that is noticable when you pack up to go home . You also need to open them up slightly and at least have a fan blow on them for a day or so to make sure they're dry before storing them until your next fishing trip . I'm just trying to take care of my hub shelter as best I can so it lasts as long as possible .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.