New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Regs question  (Read 5626 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Regs question
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2018, 04:58 PM »
I cheated   :roflmao:

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:01 PM »
champlain bitd-back in the day walleye-northern-no closed season northern no size limit no take limit  walleye had a size limit dont remember what it was.But no closed season.And when the ice left you could shoot the northerns.Chime in if you remember these days.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:02 PM »
Still no closed season on northern.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:23 AM »
I know guys who will atrrange a pickup of their first limit of the day and keep right on going for another. I lost count one day not long ago and came home with 52 perch.

I'll put two back next time en I'll be even  ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:09 AM »
RG shame on you  :roflmao:

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:09 AM »
I know guys who will atrrange a pickup of their first limit of the day and keep right on going for another. I lost count one day not long ago and came home with 52 perch.

I'll put two back next time en I'll be even  ;D

Rg

There is a difference between an honest mistake, and intentionally keeping way too many fish.  The later folks are normally referred to as POACHERS. >:(

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:19 AM »
i started quitting at 49 ,i been asked  by a officer at big bay why and i said i got my days catch  and i know i won't be part of yours  :roflmao:....honest mistakes happen i rode the bike 3 months over the registration date never got pulled over

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:53 AM »
Good idea Trapper  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:17 PM »
I need a clicker to keep track, unless there laying out so i can count them..  Dumped buckets out just to put them back in all counted.... ;D

And speaking of not paying attention I drove my truck for 9 months not thinking about the inspection till a friend pointed it out...... @)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline mkiburz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:42 PM »
You are allowed 7 lines.  You r friend can help you setup.   As soon as they are baited and put in the water it counts as a line.   So if you had 7 tip-up out and then helppped you friend by baiting and setting the line in the water it is an eighth line and you are in violation.    I would drill the hole and my wife would set the tip ups   we got a warning  with the above explanation.   

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2018, 05:16 AM »
with all the debating and disagrueement makes me look forward to open water lol I won't have to put up with burn outs and drunks setting next to me.... we'll be chasing trout and walleyes ...bluegills on the fly and perch will be easy again...... ohhhhhhh well  ....daydreams are legal

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
« Reply #41 on: Feb 12, 2018, 09:07 PM »
This is the question I sent "If you are ice fishing or open water fishing with another person are you allowed to put out their tip ups / lines for them? For example If I had put out seven tip ups for myself, would it be illegal for me to physically put extra tip ups in the water for another licensed angler? Or if more lines were desired for the group, would they be required to place them in the water themselves? Thank you! "

This is the response I received from DEC : "As long as the other angler is in attendance, there are no regulations against it."

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 12, 2018, 09:12 PM »
Why would you even ask that ? Why would they have a problem with you helping put up your friends tipups ?  Did you ask if you can tend them for him?  I think you asked the question wrong. You should have asked “ can I fish 14 lines if my friend is with me “

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 13, 2018, 03:03 AM »
with all the debating and disagrueement makes me look forward to open water lol I won't have to put up with burn outs and drunks setting next to me.... we'll be chasing trout and walleyes ...bluegills on the fly and perch will be easy again...... ohhhhhhh well  ....daydreams are legal
...i like that train of thought ice fishing is hetting old now

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:52 AM »
big guy my friend has the mold for the old style islander casting bobbers ,where the line goes threw the bobber and your lead weight goes in the whole ....I ordered a bag if you or al want some let me know

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:55 AM »
This is the question I sent "If you are ice fishing or open water fishing with another person are you allowed to put out their tip ups / lines for them? For example If I had put out seven tip ups for myself, would it be illegal for me to physically put extra tip ups in the water for another licensed angler? Or if more lines were desired for the group, would they be required to place them in the water themselves? Thank you! "

This is the response I received from DEC : "As long as the other angler is in attendance, there are no regulations against it."

I thought about this and it really is a great question , I know for fact that charter boats have the mate or the capt set up and set out all downrigger rods for clients! another thing often a mate or capt grabs the rod when it goes off  then hands it to a client .... after thinking about it tip up  your question is spot on !

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:45 AM »
Trapper now your bringing up a whole new question that is perfectly legal to. Do that as being a charter boat captain ...and yes on the bobbers thanks buddy

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:07 AM »
another thing why is it a charter boat capt in the great lakes can  let others catch his limit ????

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:15 AM »
Oh boy did that fall jar your brain toooo ;D.same in the fingerlakes.river guides also

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:23 AM »

Oh boy here we go 😜

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:24 AM »
Lots of those "Poacher Heroes" on the book of faces these days.  Once in a while the multiple deer posters actually get caught and fined, who knows maybe they'll start going after fish thieves, too.  ;)

http://poststar.com/blogs/adirondack_outdoors/blog-facebook-boasting-leads-to-trouble-for-another-poacher/article_1b48a430-eb3e-11e7-a657-9396c7b3f6a3.html
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:52 AM »
another thing why is it a charter boat capt in the great lakes can  let others catch his limit ????

From what I have been told that is not legal, any fish that you give to someone else counts toward your limit and toward their limit.  But how many times have you seen ENCON checking Charter boats, most of those guys think they own the lake anyway!  ;D ;D ;D ;)

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:59 PM »
Well here's a good one. Last yr opening day of trout season I was fishin the East Branch of the Delaware. I watched this guy catch his limit 2trout only. He proceeded to keep fishin his buddy wasn't catching anything the guy who caught his limit caught more and put um on the stringer so of course I called the DEC took him about 45 minutes to get there I pointed out the guy so the GW went and talked to them and there were no tickets issued I was pissed. What's the point of calling them if they don't believe you? Next time I'll be snapping pics or videos.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Well here's a good one. Last yr opening day of trout season I was fishin the East Branch of the Delaware. I watched this guy catch his limit 2trout only. He proceeded to keep fishin his buddy wasn't catching anything the guy who caught his limit caught more and put um on the stringer so of course I called the DEC took him about 45 minutes to get there I pointed out the guy so the GW went and talked to them and there were no tickets issued I was pissed. What's the point of calling them if they don't believe you? Next time I'll be snapping pics or videos.
What do you expect him to do your word against his?

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:18 PM »
Well aren't you supposed to have a separate stringer?

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:37 PM »
I could picture if the officers watched one guy land all the fish. But they can’t take your word for it. Then everyone would get tickets from people they don’t like lol

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:41 PM »
Well aren't you supposed to have a separate stringer?
I have been checked where I was in possession of someone else fish and was never an issue. I have been checked coming off lake George twice once with my wife and once with a friend where we had 100 perch in one sled wasn't an issue. And got checked walleye fishing a few years ago and I had a stringer with 7 eyes 4 were mine and 3 were my fathers and he didn't say anything then either.

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Well then what's the sense of having a regulation if they're not going to enforce it? Also what's the point of them telling us to turn in poachers if they aren't going to do anything about it .

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:38 PM »
If they find them with a smoking gun then I’m sure they would ticket them. 2 guys in a boat with 2 limits of fish. They can’t give a ticket based off what they didn’t see. 2 guys in a boat with 4 limits of fish they will probably spit out tickets . No smoking gun... no ticket

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Well spoken. Thanks!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.