New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Regs question  (Read 5625 times)

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Regs question
« on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:43 PM »
If you are fishing with another person are you allowed to put out their tip ups / lines for them? Also if you have already caught your personal limit for a certain species, if you caught more could you keep them and include them as part of the other persons limit? I know these questions might sound silly but I just want to clear up some confusions I had after reading the DEC regs. I fish at places where DEC officers patrol frequently, sometimes watch from a distance, I don't want to get slammed lol. Thanks for any info guys. Stay up top!  ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Regs question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:46 PM »
then why don't you call your regional office and ask them instead of a bunch of people on the internet that are no more informed then you?

I'm not being mean ,I'm telling you the best answer

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:27 PM »
If the limit of perch is 50..once you catch and ice your  50 you can no longer keep any more perch. Even if you are with a buddy and filling his limit. You can continue to fish but can't personally keep anymore yourself. That rule can be hard to enforce unless DEC watches and you and counts the perch you pull up but doesn't mean it's legal. Suppose to keep in separate piles also if with a group or a buddy. If lewving ice with 2 limits make sure both piles are 50 and 50...not 75 and 25 or could get ticketed. I have seen that happen before.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:29 PM »
What Trapper said.  There are too many possible answers and ways to interpret the regs for us to be able to give you a correct one.  My guess is that it would be the same as open water.  If you are on a boat they only count how many lines are in the water and how many fish you have total.  I suppose there could be a problem if you take people out on the ice that have no intention of fishing or ability to, but if they have a license it would be a lot of work for the authorities to try and cite you for it.  From my experience, if they are watching you through binoculars, it's to see who is actually fishing to catch the people doing it without a license.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:32 PM »
wouldn't be hard at all they have  fantastic spotting scopes and cameras ...it ain't worth it

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:02 PM »
wouldn't be hard at all they have  fantastic spotting scopes and cameras ...it ain't worth it

But I'm sure they have better things to do than spend all day watching two people and counting how many fish each one catches.  I'm not sure how I even feel about it.  If there were 5 people out there and only one was catching fish, I think it would be illegal and unethical for him to fill the others' limits.  On the other hand, if it was a family or a couple of fishing buddies, I don't really see anything wrong with them combining limits even though it would probably be against the rules.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:18 PM »
 Law is pretty simple but guys don't get it..
Limit is a limit..if it's 50 its 50..not well i can make it a 100 now cause I'm w a buddy..it's not well i can keep and ice 150 myself now because my mom and dad are here...its 50 per person.. once you catch 50 YOU can no longer keep anymore. Super simple..whether you think its right or wrong..just because you don't think its wrong doesnt mean it's legal. Like trap said. It's not worth it. I have Had DEC watch a whole goose hunt of ours so they are willing to sit there and watch for a while thats for sure. Doing their job.
Go up to lake george and catch and keep 10 lakers in a pile with 4 of your buddies then tell DEC you caught all 10. Let me know how thats works out for you.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:33 PM »
But I'm sure they have better things to do than spend all day watching two people and counting how many fish each one catches.  I'm not sure how I even feel about it.  If there were 5 people out there and only one was catching fish, I think it would be illegal and unethical for him to fill the others' limits.  On the other hand, if it was a family or a couple of fishing buddies, I don't really see anything wrong with them combining limits even though it would probably be against the rules.

you just keep on thinking that  and be ready to reach in your wallet  to pay the judge.

now we are getting off track .... I think tipup asked a real question ,and I still say ,the best answer is to call your regional office and ask them ,instead of a bunch of guys on the internet  .....get the right info  from the right people so you don't get a ticket 

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:13 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:40 PM »
Law is pretty simple but guys don't get it..
Limit is a limit..if it's 50 its 50..not well i can make it a 100 now cause I'm w a buddy..it's not well i can keep and ice 150 myself now because my mom and dad are here...its 50 per person.. once you catch 50 YOU can no longer keep anymore. Super simple..whether you think its right or wrong..just because you don't think its wrong doesnt mean it's legal. Like trap said. It's not worth it. I have Had DEC watch a whole goose hunt of ours so they are willing to sit there and watch for a while thats for sure. Doing their job.
Go up to lake george and catch and keep 10 lakers in a pile with 4 of your buddies then tell DEC you caught all 10. Let me know how thats works out for you.

what if you set the hook on one and reel it up then just before it comes out of the water you hand the rod to your buddy and he finishes reeling it in. Does that make it his fish since he had the rod in his hand?

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:54 PM »
what if you set the hook on one and reel it up then just before it comes out of the water you hand the rod to your buddy and he finishes reeling it in. Does that make it his fish since he had the rod in his hand?

We've got a lawyer among us!!  His handle says it all...  :woot:
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:29 AM »
And the daily limit is just that. When you catch your limit you can't go to another lake and catch another limit.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:56 AM »
Call dec...i have witnessed this incident in person a guy had 2 salmon on a stringer..he kept fishing.he would hook a fish ..give the rod to another person the other person landed and kept the fish..he did this several more times the the guy that handed the rod off got a ticket for over his 3 fish..reason he hooked the fish end a story..even though he gave the rod to another person he hooked the fish..sooo i imagine thats true for all fish..if the other guy would of released the fish the fisherman that hooked the fish would a been ok.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:00 AM »
you just keep on thinking that  and be ready to reach in your wallet  to pay the judge.

now we are getting off track .... I think tipup asked a real question ,and I still say ,the best answer is to call your regional office and ask them ,instead of a bunch of guys on the internet  .....get the right info  from the right people so you don't get a ticket

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I took it off track because your first answer really said it all and I like topics that make me think of things in a different way.  I don't fish to catch my limit.  In fact, I can't remember ever catching one.  So it's a topic I've never really thought about before.  Whenever I fish with others, we usually split up the chores.  One person might drill all the holes while another starts setting out the tipups.  When I'm with kids, they get to pull all the fish in.  If they pull up a fish on one of my tipups, is it their fish or mine?

Next time I get a visit from a CO out on the ice, I'll have to ask them some of these questions and see what they say.  It will probably end up being one of those deals where it is technically illegal but not enforced unless there is blatant abuse.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:23 AM »
IceFisherSteve and Trapper are right. When in doubt, ask the one who enforces the regs. The minute you start trying to interpret the regs yourself is the minute you get in trouble, especially NY's fishing regs. I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there that play the game of "well, we have 4 guys so we can keep 200 perch". That's not what the law says. There's no such thing as a "Party Limit". at least not that I've seen.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:32 AM »
LOL are you guys really that worried,  I love these legal question threads

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:41 AM »
I'm not worried 49 fish in the bucket I'm done period unless in jefferson county ........  kobey I ask the dec all kinds of questions  I think people should ....and your opinion is just as important as mine  ;D

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:43 AM »
terrible predicament to be in. i don't think I've a total of 50 fish for the entire season...

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:47 AM »
then why don't you call your regional office and ask them instead of a bunch of people on the internet that are no more informed then you?

I'm not being mean ,I'm telling you the best answer
2X THAT,AND GET IT IN WRITING.
RAT.
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:48 AM »
Just sent an email to the DEC regarding the lines. When they respond I'll post it up here. The question on the limits is pretty clear I'd say and with the scenarios that have been presented it clearly displays fines are given if fish over the personal limit are kept, even if given to someone else, and that makes sense. Thanks for all the responses.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:03 AM »
Lesson learned, once I reach 49 fish bring myself and my fishing partner that cant land a fish in the 2 man shanty and collaborate on a good story.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:16 AM »
Lesson learned, once I reach 49 fish bring myself and my fishing partner that cant land a fish in the 2 man shanty and collaborate on a good story.
Yeah elaborate a story to break the law. Good idea! I mean how else are you going to get likes on your Facebook or instagram?? Have to post 2 limits because one limit just isn't cool enough.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Lots of those "Poacher Heroes" on the book of faces these days.  Once in a while the multiple deer posters actually get caught and fined, who knows maybe they'll start going after fish thieves, too.  ;)

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2018, 12:49 PM »

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:
Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2018, 02:21 PM »
I guess a guy got arrested or what ever encon does last year on cossayuna had like 200-300 gills. Probably why the gills are down this year. They set limits like that so people don’t rape lakes. I see pictures of guys with blue gills and perch limited out. Most of the time if they didn’t keep the dinks they would be far from the limit. Just because you can take 50 per day doesn’t mean you have to. I normally only keep around 10 over 9 inches and throw the rest back. Have some respect for the lakes. If everyone keeps everything they catch the fishing is going to go down hill quick. Then again i fish for fun not for food.

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2018, 02:41 PM »
ok so the law is in place to preserve or control the populations, so by breaking the law you can be doing damage to the overall population of the body of water. Why try to find loop holes in a law when it in return has a negative outcome. And all honesty who the hell wants to spend 2 plus hours cleaning that many fish after being on the ice all day. Be conservative and respect the laws so our childrens children will be able to go out and have the same fun we have today.

Offline swampking89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishin rules!!!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2018, 03:58 PM »
I remember,back in the day,they had a boat limit.i may be wrong but that's what I remember.im getting older now so I may be wrong!!LOL!!

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2018, 04:28 PM »
I remember 10 walleye limit or 20 walleyes per boat with 2 or more people on Oneida. Not sure if that was a statewide reg. 10 tipups that you could leave overnight too.

??? :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2018, 04:36 PM »
I remember 10 walleye limit or 20 walleyes per boat with 2 or more people on Oneida. Not sure if that was a statewide reg. 10 tipups that you could leave overnight too.

??? :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

Freddie and I were talking about that the other day ,i left mine out while in school and could see flags while in class lol

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2018, 04:57 PM »
Freddie and I were talking about that the other day ,i left mine out while in school and could see flags while in class lol
I’m cant imagine how much of an itch it was to have to wait for lunch to scratch 😉

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.